summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 22, 2020

....letting go...

I don't know if I can do it. I just don't know. It's been so long, and I'm not sure I can live without it...my chair. My big comfy chair.


She's outside, next to "under the deck", where once-loved treasures go to await their final journey, to the dump. I hadn't planned to replace her. Paul was at his parents house, his dad has passed away a few years back, and his mom is done with traveling to NY for the summers, she decided to just stay put in Florida. So Paul was helping to empty the house, and texted me how nice this chair is:


Yes, we all agree, this chair is much nicer than my old comfy one. It is smaller, and more trim and smart and acceptable. My old chair looks like crappola on a stick. But, it's SO comfy. Once we put this newer one in it's place, and dragged it to the middle of the room, I sat in it again to confirm that it's just old and yucky, but instead, I almost cried, it's so comfy, and it is HOME. When I'm away from home too long, I miss my family, and I miss my chair.

A few of the teenagers practically disowned me when I started veering towards keeping the old girl.

So I asked Paul and Jonny to take her out under the deck, before I changed my mind. I've since told them that if they can't find me, I'll be down there sitting in her.

It's rained on that poor chair, but believe me, I'm still mulling whether we can just keep this chair, and drag the comfy one back up the steps.

We had a nice cook out yesterday. 11 of the kids were here, 3 spouses, five of the grandkids. The pool was warm and the burgers were good. Ashley brought a pasta salad, Margaret and Adrian brought donuts, Molly a bottle of Sangria, Emily helped Paul make the burger patties, and made the salt potatoes. We had coneys too, and fruit...watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, all cut up, mmm.



Adorable little Elise, with her big sister Anya, holding and admiring their baby cousin Ophelia, Lydia's baby sister.

Margaret brought her guitar and we sang some songs. We solved the world's problems, and had a really nice time together. We made plans for our camping trip next weekend, and talked about the cabin rules for next month...we are renting a cabin for a week in the Adirondacks!

5 comments:

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh I hear you, on the "old comfy chair." -sigh- Poor you! -smile-

Do you leave *Free* things on the curb, where you live? You could leave 'her' out there, for someone to pick up, and 'she' would continue her 'life,' elsewhere.

Or maybe!!!!! That suggestion is even more painful. I'm sorry if it is.

But just think... Perhaps after a bit, the *new* chair will be just as beloved. As the "old" one.

If....

You have a welcoming attitude...

-smile-

Hugs....

Linda said...

Ohhhhh how nice, would love to visit the Adirondacks again. My husband had a chair like that and when we got ready to move up here from the south, surprise, surprise he sold it. ANYWAYS, have a great week, friend.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! That’s sad news about your big comfy chair 😔 She does certainly look comfy........sort of looks like mine which I park my carcass in every day. SO COMFY!!! Is the new one as comfy? It’s a lovely chair, but only you will be able to tell............ mine is a Lazy Boy that I bought when the old one broke and I thought nothing would be better, but this new one IS! It’s better even. I love all the photos and it sounds like you all had a fabulous Father’s Day yesterday. Our celebration was Saturday at the lake with family etc. Wonderful!! Have a good one today 🌞🌞

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Valerie said...

I don't have any furniture I love...I guess that is a good thing for later on when the kids are grown and we can get nice stuff, ha.
I am halfway through God In Ruins- I think Teddy is very endearing! My favorite WWII fiction book is All The Light We Cannot See. Then The Book Thief.:)

Rose Sperlonga said...

We are Lazy Boy people. We love their big comfy recliners, rockers. My chair has been great, hubs chair cracked and it was fixed but never the same. Sooo Wifey decided that she would get hubby a nice new recliner! Not a Lazy Boy! Hmm.... he hated it!! His hip went out in it and then his back because it just was not a good chair, apparently!

Fast forward 3 months.... I said bring the new chair up in the spare room and lets get you your Lazy Boy... and 3 stores later he found his exact Lazy Boy ! Even same color and he lived happily ever after!!! haha!!

So I get the "big comfy chair" mope because I lived it! LOL

Hopefully you'll get used to the new one. It does look lovely , but not as comfy as yours. :)