summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

a beach vacation, and some excellent deals....

First of all, can I please tell about my upcoming beach vacation? Please?! I'm kind of excited about it. It's next month, at a place on an island on the gulf side of Florida. Three nights, on the beach, with a heated pool to boot. Or to swim in, ha.

My daughter and I already made plans to go visit grandma in October, round trip tickets only $86 from NY to Orlando. Grandma was talking the other day when I was there with her about a reservation on the beach that she had to cancel because of Covid. Her very good friend Gladys was supposed to go, and sadly, she won't be able to make the trip anytime soon, as she also lives in NY...and she's a bit older. Grandma didn't want the reservations to go to waste, so Grandma, her niece (Paul's cousin), and the two of us, are going on a little getaway when we go to Florida next month!

You know, these things come up, and I just can't believe it. Little old me (okay, BIG old me!), going on a trip! I was the kid in elementary school who NEVER went to Florida. I was the kid who didn't go on a plane, until I was 17.

And, for years and years and years, I was busy, so busy I didn't know what my name was, some days. I'm not complaining, because you know I'd do it again all over again, but it was tiring and BUSY. Back then, a vacation was driving to a doctor's appointment, with all the kids buckled into the van, and I could just drive. Never mind that the baby might be crying, and I'd giving instructions to the four year old to please try to put the pacifier in, or to try to figure out whom hit whom in the back seat. A TRUE vacation was when, once in a blue moon, I went to an appointment all by my lonesome, and when the dr. apologized for the long wait in the waiting room, I'd say, "Oh no, I thoroughly enjoyed it!"

If I weren't on state mandated quarantine, I would probably have gone to the thrift store today, to drop off half of Camille's closet. She said the bag of stuff hadn't been worn in at least a year. I would have maybe found a pair of slippers, brand new, never been worn, in my exact size, from the Vermont Country Store, worth $89.95, for $3.50. I might have found some really cool Ryka boots for four bucks, in my size.

The CDC said a few weeks ago that is not necessary to quarantine after travel, but the king of NY...well, we won't go there.

I did have a nice swim in the pool this afternoon, while Sonja was at college and the girls got their backpacks filled with all the going-back-to-school goodies. I watered the flowers, repotted some succulents, raked up some "things" in the yard, did lots of laundry, washed the crockpot from last night, and finished a book.

Ah well...the girls are in here, and I'm going to spend some time with them, and put this laptop away...

3 comments:

Linda said...

I have had enough of this King here. My bil, mind you, we are LIVID, has been very sick. He is awaiting his Covid results. AND to top it off, we got a phone call from a tracer yesterday. LIVID. I won't go into detail. LIVID is the word.

Anonymous said...

I am so with you, and was, in those years when an outing was a vacation! Now we just have one with a binky, and in diapers, and she never goes anywhere, plenty of sitters now:) Where did the time go? It's so great to have a trip to look forward to 😁
Valerie

Unknown said...

I’m visiting my daughter at her college in Florida this weekend (I live in NY) and I have decided I am an essential worker so that I can skip quarantine like they can. My mail lady went to Disney and was delivering my mail the next morning! She comes in contact with more people in 8 hours than I do in 2 weeks. The rules are so frustrating and just plain dumb.