summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 21, 2020

hybrid school and frost on the pumpkins, and nursing school AGAIN!!!

The girls go to school only two days a week, and spend the other days doing online school. We had to buy another chromebook, because sharing doesn't work when they're in two different grades. They sort of like this new way of school, Camille especially. She likes being home more than being there, so it's a good balance. Charlotte Claire loves school, so she would like to attend in person more. She also thinks the work is harder online. Miss Sonja K. is also doing most of her classes, college classes, online, but has some labs to attend in person, and also has a part time job at the college, so she's gone sometimes too. We made some apple pies yesterday, big thick flaky butter crusts, mmm. I had nary a taste, I made my own pie...some fake sugar, and crust of almond and coconut flour. It was rather dry, but the tart Empire apples, and the cinnamon, mmm, it was good enough for me. I poured a little bit of heavy cream on top, and it was just right. The girls also made two pans of huge fluffy homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. I took the tiniest taste, and just as I suspected: good. Deee-licious. Dinner was beef brisket, in the oven all day, coming out for the pies to go in...a huge pan of mac and cheese, and a small pan of cauliflower and cheese for me, some chicken legs roasted with lime and seasoning, and Paul made a venison roast in the crock pot. The aromas in here, between the meats and the cinnamon, well, wow!
So Sonja K. is taking pre-reqs for nursing college. She's not sure what she'll end up doing, she wanted to be a physician's assistant, but a nurse practitioner is more doable, and there's a very very good nursing college close by. She just took an exam for her anatomy and physiology class, and aced it! She took the test last week, thought she bombed it, and waited, today found out...she did just fine! This is NOT my first rodeo, I've been through the ups and downs of college with lots of kids so far...phew. Today I am picking up some paint for my room, it's Emerald, Silver Strand, by Sherwin Williams. I am not getting one red cent for saying that I love their paint. It's pricey, but 40% off right now, and so worth it. It goes on and hides a multitude of sins. If I'm putting in that much effort, I want something nice. For me, any effort is "that much effort". I get my backordered deck finishing lumber order straightened out, and pick up the paint. I am going to measure my room, and see about getting some flooring today. The ceiling needs paint, the trim needs painting, we need new windows in there...see how this is going? If you give a mouse a cookie, home improvement edition. This is a huge-0 project. We're not the spiffy clean bedroom types. The floor is clean and vacuumed, but we both have too.much.stuff., and need a better system. Three guitars, a few rifles, a bow and lots of arrows...well, does it all have to be in our room? Can we at least hang the guitars on the wall? I'm thinking with a regular bed, we can at least put some bins under it, and maybe put that bow under there. As for me, well, I have clothes. Too many. I've already taken everything out of my side of the closet, rooted and sorted, washed everything I'm keeping, and hung it back up...back in April or so. My plan is to go through it again, and if I haven't worn it all summer, it goes. I am also getting more and more strict on what I keep. So what if someone will want it someday? Why do I have to keep it "just in case"? Less is more, less is more. Hoe it out, throw it out, donate to the thrift store. Ah well. It'll be fun, right?

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning! My goodness Della, that pie looks so delicious! I couldn’t eat it though......needs to be GF for me, but GF pastry mostly is a flop. I should take a leaf out of your book. I’m terrible when it comes to getting rid of my clothes...........I go though on a fairly regular basis, but will toss just a couple of things. Your bedroom will be lovely when it’s all done and yes, one thing leads to another!! But you’ve done lots over. the last year. Your baby grandson is so adorable 😍

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Hena Tayeb said...

Less is more indeed. I am a thrower.. well actually a reseller and donator. I can't wait to get rid of things.. I got that from my mother.
All that food sounds divine.
My kids prefer to be home as well.. they like the comfort of home.

Michelle in FL said...

Mmm, That pie looks so good!