summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 25, 2020

more and more projects!

This wood storage bench has been at the foot of our bed for years and years and years, Paul got it for me when we were first married. It's not anything to write home about, but it is real wood, pine probably, not laminate. I have mixed feelings about painting it, but I decided to anyway, mostly because I love chalk painting, and have been itching for a project.
One coat of primer...and doesn't everyone stack things on Fisher-Price blocks, on top of boxes of flooring? I went out to the kitchen to get my second cup, and of course that means wiping down the counters and the vent above the stove, oops, I knew a screw was loose, but uh--0h!!! down she came.
Any bets as to how long it'll be like this? I don't know where the screw went... So I got my coffee, and decided to give the first and second coats of chalk paint...
I'll let this dry for a few hours before the final coat, and then...the wax! I was out of chalk paint wax for months, very pricey on Amazon, and out of stock on Walmart, ect., so every time I went into Walmart, I would check for it, and BINGO YAY, last week, I found it! I was tempted to buy two or three, but I just bought the one little jar. Did you know that you can chalk paint door handles? If your door handles are gold or brass, and you want to update the look, you don't have to take them off and go outside and spray paint, although they would prob look better. But if you're like me, and you're as lazy as the day is long, you can do this: paint on a bit of primer, Zinzer 1-2-3 or Kilz, or something cheap even, just a coat of primer. You could do two coats if you want. Then get your handy dandy black chalk paint, if black door handles are what you're aiming for...and carefully paint them. Give a second coat a bit later, maybe a third. If some of the brass or gold peeks out, it looks fine, kind of rustic. When they dry, add some chalk paint wax, and voila, new doorknobs!
I also paint over the door hinges with black chalk paint... So now you know all my secrets and shortcuts. And shh, I have ANOTHER PROJECT! I have a green stool in my room, it's such an ugly shade of lime green, but structurally sound. (The last time I re-did my room, like 8 years ago, I painted the walls that purplish blue, and the accents were...lime green. I know, what in the world? Well, it's because I found stuff cheap. I remember painting in the room in August, that's when the going-back-to-college stuff was clearanced. So I got a mirror with the lime green frame, a huge poster frame for a family picture, a floor lamp, and...the stool. Well, the lamp will get a coat of paint, the picture frame too, and the stool...I'm going to try to recover it. So I'm heading to Walmart for the fabric, I know just what I want, I saw it there before and loved it, but didn't know what to use it for, now I do, hope it's still there! I also need a staple gun, how have I lived without one? It'd be cheaper to just get a new stool...hmmm. But what would be the fun in that? The kids don't have in-person school today, one of the students tested positive. They have a regular class schedule though, zoom classes. They have to be present for each class. Cam had gym class, wherein the students were sharing their pets. It makes sense, right? Covid sense, like everyone going in and out the same door in Walmart, and roping off the seating areas in the mall, and limiting entry to state parks. Anyway, off to Walmart I go...all by myself...:) They all have a break right now, and are making bagels and eggs.

No comments: