summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

oh my goody good goodness, it's been busy, new floor!!!!

That first piece goes down, and yay! It's happening! The floor looks absolutely beautiful. I can't vouch for how well it will wear, but it looks pretty nice now. Adrian, my son-in-law, installed it for us, and he said it was very good quality. It went together well, no broken pieces that couldn't be used. It's a Lowe's floor, allen+roth, Urbanite Oak, in case you're wondering. I would totally recommend it. There aren't better before and after pics because after Miss Evvy and I spent all that time in Lowe's yesterday looking for the right screws for the new bedframe, they didn't fit. I bought the frame from marketplace, it had never been used, but they had lost the hardware. How difficult can that be, silly me thought. So we slept on the mattress on the floor again. I've been up since around four. I don't want all the clutter in the "new room", so I still have things to reckon with. Today, I plan to touch up some nicks and missed places in the paint, sew a few pillow covers, sort and go through some things, refile some paperwork in the mini filebox I scored at the thrift store for $3.99 yesterday...Evelyn bought a beautiful vanity with a stool for $29.99, looks brand new. She was so thrilled with it!!! Dinner yesterday was butter chicken...I browned 5 pounds of cut up chicken breast in one and a half sticks of butter, dumped it all into the crock pot, and shh, poured in 3 jars of Aldi Butter Chicken simmer sauce. A little bit of cumin, some freshly ground pepper, and the house smelled yummers all day long. We had a loaf of Italian bread, instead of making the homemade naan bread, and a pan of rice. I made cauliflower for anyone who wanted less carbs...I microwaved it a little bit, then sauteed it in butter, and added a bit of Frank's hot sauce. mmmm. Butter chicken over it, not bad. So we ate every single bit of the chicken, not a leftover to be found. And...this morning, I decided to make it again! I pulled frozen chicken breast from the freezer, and added a few jars of the sauce, and dinner is in the crockpot, same thing as yesterday, but I didn't brown up the chicken first. So I've been wanting a new coffee table, don't like the huge black square anymore. Sometimes I see something I like on marketplace, then it's gone before I move on it. So in the midst of this bedroom re-do, and taking Evelyn to get her wisdom teeth out on Monday morning, I went and got a "new" coffee table.
(She looks so good for just having had that done the day before! Isn't Tennyson so cute with his Aunt Evelyn?) We had to take an extra trip into the small city because Walmart had a power outage, and her prescription meds were called in there after the surgery. It was still closed in the early afternoon, so the dr. had to call it into a different pharmacy. So Monday was a running-around day. And, ha, to top it all off, I messaged about this coffee table, and had to drive 40 minutes each way to get it...
It's quite shiny, and not my favorite color, but I bought it for it's structure. I am picturing it after stripping the top, and leaving it natural, with a clear matte finish, and the bottom painted a creamy white. Another project, yay! But, it's going to have to wait. I know a long winter is coming up, I need to have things lined up to do. I intend on stocking up on primer, chalk paint, ect. I'm also sort of looking for matching tables to re-do for each side of our new bed. I've had a tall dresser on my side for years, now we've put it on a different wall, and I want a table with a lamp. It's not a hurry, just an idea... All these things are so time and thought consuming, and while I think it's grand to keep busy and make things nice, there is such a greater purpose in life, and we musn't forget it in the midst of everything else. So Adrian installed the flooring, Wulf "helped", which means he scattered tools around the house and jumped on the bed. It was a rainy day, the girls were at in-person school, Evelyn had just had surgery the day before, although she was still the board cutter for Adrian, going out on the deck in the rain and using the saw. Don't worry, she hadn't taken pain meds at the time, and was fine. Margaret was here with little baby Tennyson, and guess what? I got to hold him and rock him and talk to him...when I start singing, he reacts to it, hones in on my face, and looks at me. He's a little stare-er. So sweet. This afternoon, a trip to the airport! Mr. Jonathan is coming home from Oregon! We got our stuff out of his room in the nick of time!

2 comments:

An American Housewife said...

We also just put in a floor similar to yours - also from Lowe's but I don't recall which color it was. I just asked my husband if he remembered what color we decided on but he didn't either. It was only about 3 weeks ago but I guess neither of us cared to recall what color we used in the end. (We took about 2 weeks just to decide! Ha ha. Lots of texting photos back and forth and debating and me holding my cell phone up and pretending each color was in the room... giving him feedback as he stood in the store...) Finally we decided, we put it in and we love it! And... I really really really think it's the same one you chose!

16 blessings'mom said...

Ha, I chose mine in four minutes flat, after months and years of deliberating, when I was finally in the store, bang, I chose it.