summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 26, 2020

seriously?

As you probably know, I am a mom of 16. That's a lot of kids. It was a lot of pregnancies (there were a few losses too, and one little stillborn). So it's been busy through the years. Now there are only four kids at home, but also four pets. Two beautiful Labradors, and two kitties. On Saturday morning, Paul got up before the sun rose, to go hunting. He let the pups outside quick, and well, they got tangled with a skunk, and yeah, they got sprayed. He didn't go hunting, he gave two pups a bath. They've had three baths so far, with baking soda and dishwashing liquid and peroxide. The furniture covers have been washed, the floors mopped with bleach, we've burned wax warmers and turned on diffusers. It just smells faintly of skunk in here. I have a super sniffer, I can detect the faintest of odors, and it's driving me batty. Anyway. As soon as I finished washing dishes and putting things away and sat down in my comfy chair with my coffee this morning, THIS GUY starts meowing frantically to get in. I get up, with a tiny sigh, okay a huge one, and let His Magesty in...as soon as the door opens, he walks every so slowly, I guess that's why they call the modeling walk the "cat walk". In no hurry, he slinks in the door, already purring and begging for food and fresh water. I no sooner sit down and he's begging to go back out.
My girls went off and had lots of fun this weekend, they played laser tag and went go-carting. Camille fell and twisted her knee, it popped out of joint and went back in. Benjamin had to give piggy back ride, but she didn't want to come home. She stayed there for bubble tea and fun with her friends. It's a bit swollen and she needs to see an orthopedic dr., dang it. Miss Margaret has had some health issues come up, and since it's her story to tell and not mine, I'll leave it at that, but I did watch baby Tennyson and Wulf on Friday. Yesterday, all 12 of the kids who live locally were here to visit! (also 4 spouses and 6 grandchildren). We had crockpot roast and gravy with potatoes and carrots, and oven roasted butternut squash, and roasted asparagus, brussel sprouts and apples. I made two pumpkin pies, and one sugarless pumpkin pie.
Benjamin had a turn holding baby Tennyson. Isn't Ben a handsome guy?
I like this pic, with the tire pump lying there on the floor (Wulf, I blame Wulf! He likes to explore and find things and get them out:)). The three granddaughters eating together with Josh and Molly, and Ashley and Ben and Emily.
Elise (love her red curls!) holding her baby cousin Ophelia, with Wulf, and Molly.
Messy fun. I made these kids some jello jigglers in building block molds. They played with them a bit, ate some bites, it was fun.
Margaret, Sonja, Evelyn, Ben, Jonathan, Emily, Molly...
Lydia playing with the Waffletown blocks.
Evelyn with Tennyson. So I guess things still get a little bit busy around here!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you for the many smiles. Whatever health issues are going on, I will keep in prayer. Have a great day friend. smiles

Hena Tayeb said...

Her bone popped in and out of her socket and she stayed for bubble tea! Wow. Hope her ankle is alright.
And eek skunk. We don't have many around here.. in my 7ish years in this house I have only ever seen one.

Marilyn said...

Oh my goodness......skunk smell 😬 Awful...............Your family looks all content and happy sitting around the table. I’m wondering how big of a roast you would need to feed all those people? Maybe 6 lbs, but they always shrink when cooking. I have to say roast in the slow cooker is really delicious. Elise certainly has pretty hair........beautiful red curls 🥰 They are all gorgeous Della........but then you know that already.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Rose S. said...

Ah. Skunks! Had a neighbor leave a little cellar window open for her cats when she left for vac. Long story short a skunk went in and helped himself to her cats food. Spray , spray and more spray for days. Finally the landlord trapped it, not only him but his lady friend and all their little babies followed him down for dinner! It ruined everything in my home, food, plastic, furniture, beds and so on. The landlord gave us a free months of rent and the next door neighbor? She fled during the night! What a mess! I feel your pain 1000 times more! EEK!

Beautiful family! You are one very lucky mama! :)

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend!
I am sooo sorry about the skunk smell. I hate that! Sounds like you have it under control, and such an awesome attitude too! Your family is beautiful. I love love love that they love to be home with you. Our children are the same. Guess we did good! Have a cozy evening!

true blessings said...

hi! I love reading your blog, have enjoyed so for years. How is your weight loss journey going? you look great!