summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, May 14, 2022

happy Saturday!

 It's warm and sunny, and I'm heading outside.  

Earthly things seem so important in the moment, but none of it goes with us to eternity, so we need to make sure it isn't taking up the prime real estate of our heart.  Selfishness takes up a disproportionate amount of room in the heart too, better to do things for others and get oil in our lamps.  But shh, money DOES buy happiness, sometimes:


I visited the Mennonite farm in town, went in the greenhouse, tried to somewhat behave.  Those succulents in the top pic, on the bottom, were two dollars each!  Then there's the local honey...I would rather buy it from another lady only a few miles from me who keeps bees in her backyard, because it's important to me that it's actually local honey.  (It's supposed to help with allergies).  So I asked the nice young man (how do those Mennonites raise such respectful hard workers?) where the honey was from, he said what they all say when I ask that, "It's from just down the road, a few houses down."  Who knows, maybe it is?  I bought some for Camille, because we were all out, and a teaspoon in a hot cup of tea, mmm.

The yellow flower, a Tuberous Begonia, is gorgeous.  Google told me that the bigger flower is male, the smaller female, and to pinch off the female to allow the male to grow bigger and more plentiful.  What, pray tell, did we do before the internet?

Kathryn is still here with the kids, Darius and Jon, Darius' brother Josh, and another friend, are headed across the country with their vehicles, and should get here tomorrow.  Paul is putting a beef brisket and some ribs in the smoker for tomorrow, we'll have a houseful.   Kathryn and fam will stay here until their house is ready, and their things arrive from their pod, which is being shipped slowly and surely across this huge country of ours.

So Miss Camille is doing okay, she's playing Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Switch, which Suzanne so sweetly let her borrow.  She cannot do much yet, but she's managing and not getting cranky.  

I am super thankful for the days.  Spring is just a total gift, so breathtaking.  We may have challenging winters here in the northeast, but spring is a huge apology for it, and apology accepted.

Those flowers are calling me to repot them, some want to go in a hanging basket...I don't know much about these things, because all those years raising babies and small children and medium children and teenagers ALL AT THE SAME TIME left me with little time to raise other things.  My thumb is not green, but I enjoy the flowers and sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Off I go...



4 comments:

Terri D said...

I like local honey, too. There are bees at my work and the man who takes care of them gives us honey now and then. Hope you enjoyed the sunshine!!

Linda said...

Such a wonderful post (they all are, grin). Such pretty flowers, smiles.

Billie Jo said...

Yep! Local honey is a must!! Enjoy your sunny Saturday!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Della 👋

Your flowers are beautiful and such pretty colours. I got a few too and we’re going to a nursery or two tomorrow to get a few things and then start planting. I want to get most of it done this coming week, so I can sit and enjoy and putz around after that! I got a giant tumbler tomato plant to hang on the deck…….I do one every year and honestly get hundreds! I also got some herbs as they seem to sell out quickly.

I’m glad Camille is doing well 👍🏻Excellent. You are going to have a house full today and for a while to come by the sounds of it. Lots of fun and hopefully the weather stays nice so you can spend your days outside. Our days are getting lovely too.

We are off to Stars on Ice later today. I haven’t been for years and really looking forward to it.

FYI our hockey team ….the Edmonton Oilers……beat Los Angles last night here in Edmonton and move on to the next round. Tomorrow Calgary plays Dallas and if they win we will have the battle of Alberta to go to the next round …….. it seems to go on forever 🙄 Anyway it will be very exciting as there is friendly…..or not so friendly for some people…..rivalry between the two cities.

Have a super day with the gang!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦