summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 12, 2022

well that was fun...

 


Miss Camille Anaya had her knee surgery yesterday, MPFL (medial patella-femoral ligament reconstruction).  It went well, as in it was successful in doing what it was supposed to do.  But does well include the nausea and vomiting and pain afterward?  It wasn't MY pain, but kind of, it was.  The first time she had to use the bathroom, then getting her into the car to come home, getting her in the house, helping her get to the bathroom here, ouch.  It's no picnic.  In the long run, it will improve the quality of her life, being able to move without that knee popping out, but for now, ugh.

Suzanne let her borrow her Switch with the Animal Crossing game on it, Margaret bought her a beautiful coloring kit, Kathryn got her a super nice water bottle with a filter in it, we put filtered water from the Brita pitcher, and call it Double Brita.  

The medical world is still upside down, you have to call the number on the door to be admitted, temp taken, clean masks put on, hand sanitizer applied, questions asked, the rigamarole.   Whether these things actually help, or are just making people feel comfortable, who knows?  

The nurse who put in the IV was super nice, she went to nursing school with Mariel, and worked with Molly, and knew Aaron.  Camille was all prepped and ready to go, I asked where I was to wait, and was told, "In your vehicle."  what?  oh yeah, waiting rooms are danger danger.

The surgeon and one of the RNs had my phone number, I had their number, and off I went, to Margaret's house...she lives a hop, skip, and a jump from that hospital.  I didn't like much being kicked out of the hospital, leaving my BABY there, but what can you do?  Because shh, part of me was rather glad not to sit there in the fluorescent lights with CNN blaring.  

80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, not too shabby.  Margaret made me the best cup of coffee, I cuddled with Tennyson, read some books to Wulf, then sat out in the sun on their little deck in the back yard.  The surgeon called to say the surgery went well, and that I should get a call in a few hours as to when to return to the hospital.  It was a 2 1/2 hr. surgery.  A bit after noon, I was called to come back over, she was waking up.  

Tennyson closes his eyes when I try to take a pic.  Maybe he thinks SMILE! means close your eyes.

Camille was so sad when she was wheeled in, she felt sick, she got sick, she had woken up earlier and I wasn't there (no fault of mine, I came over as soon as they called, and was waiting for her to be brought back to the recovery/discharge area)

Ah well, she'll be all right, it's just the getting from this point to recovering.  Kathryn just left with her two little ones to go get some diapers, so it's quiet in here for a bit. 

There's a train track set up, and trucks, and a toy shopping cart, and a ride-on...I don't mind.  It's like life is back to normal with them here, ha.  They'll be here for another few weeks until their place is ready to be moved into.  

Cam had a series of calamities in the night, which shh, I slept through.  I had forgotten, in the night, that I should check my phone if it vibrated, I actually woke up, and consciously didn't pick it up, knowing it would wake me fully, and duh, it was Camille from out on the living room couch...the cat knocked the fan over (Cam sleeps with a fan blowing on her all year round), she needed the bathroom...she called Sonja, who so nicely came out here and helped her.  Sonja got all settled back into bed, and Cam called her again, had some pain, could she have some meds?  Sonja will be an excellent nurse, as I apologized for not getting up, she said she didn't mind.  I think I'll just sleep on the other couch tonight though.

I did wake at 5:30 and checked my phone, saw the messages from Cam, came running out here, but she was all taken care of and back to sleep, oops.  bad mom award, but good Sonja award.

So for all my fussing and complaining about the way things are done in the hospital, I do want to say this: I am EXTREMELY thankful to live in this country, with such good medical care.  The fact that Camille could actually get this done (finally!), is super nice, nothing to take for granted.  

The nurses we had yesterday were just above and beyond, so helpful and kind, patient with Cam.  

She's resting now with some fresh ice on the leg, and I have things to do...the floor needs a good vacuum and mopping...

7 comments:

Betty said...

Sending prayers nurses are indeed angels

Unknown said...

Good morning 🌞🌞

So happy to read Camille’s surgery went well. She just has to rest for a bit and it will all be worth it in the long run. These things are hard on the mother too! πŸ₯°

It will be busy at your place for a while, but wonderful to have your little grands nice and close.

I’m off to the dentist 😬 actually I don’t mind going to the dentist…….I’ve been going to the same guy for 30 years. Something is sensitive on the side 😬….he’s been watching it, so it may need a crown! You know I do believe I have more crowns than the queen!! 🀣🀣🀣

Have a lovely day…….

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Jan said...

So glad the surgery went well-praying for a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

How long will recovery be? I laughed at your story about forgetting to pay attention to your phone. I totally would do that! Thank God for Sonja!!!
Valerie

Linda said...

Oh, my goodness...what a full day. Keeping your daughter in prayer, smiles.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, more crowns than the queen, oh dear, it's good to laugh about I guess. I'm glad you don't mind the dentist, I despise going.
Jan, thank you!
Valerie, I always think of my son Aaron saying that on my tombstone they will write: She Tried. :)
Linda, I know! Thank you!

Terri D said...

I'm so happy the surgery was successful and she is beginning to heal. Please keep us posted!! xo