summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, June 16, 2022

...just at the lake...on vacation...

 

Paul brought his bike, Sonja wanted to try it...seat way too high.
This!  Emily Anne and Camille Anaya, my oldest and my youngest, 23 years apart, the firstborn and #16. 
The view here is astounding, we are right on Lake Ontario.  There is a scary hard path down to the water's edge, which is rocky and treacherous, to this old lady.  


Charlotte Claire, Sonja K., Emily, and Evelyn with Paul....the cold water feels good, he says.
Me this morning with the view from our window...

Down near the water, yes I braved the path down...and no, I didn't have a fretting worry running through the background of my mind the entire time I was down there about how in the whole dang world was I going to get back up to the house.  oops, I lied.  I totally did.  I tried to get into the water, but I just couldn't scale those big rocks like Paul and the young limber girls of mine.
Miss Camille got to Sid down near the water, Paul piggy-backed her down, and then back up.  He also brought us down chairs.  :)
This was the nice sign the owners left here for us, which we could see through the window while we tried over and over again to get the door code to work, turned out there is a little sign thing you have to press after the number, who knew?
So yes...vacation, just for three days, but ahhhh.

I had marinated chicken breast in lime juice and Jamaican jerk seasoning, then dried them off and tossed them in olive oil, and onto the grill last evening.  We had a fantastic salad: spring mix, romaine, freshly picked strawberries all sliced up, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, pecans (roasted and seasoned with salt and cayenne, and a dash of sugar, by Char), croutons, and red onion slices.  We set it up salad bar style, and ate it with the chicken sliced on top.  It was warm and muggy, and we ate outside with the lake breeze, the perfect summer meal.

Dessert:  someone has pics of it, I had bought an angel food cake...I sliced it into nine pieces, plated them, scooped the sliced strawberries on top, and squirt-y whipped cream, with one strawberry on top of each...we carried the little plates outside in a big cake pan, it was fancy and fun and special, and best of all, yummy.

This fine morning is breezy and gorgeous, and I'm sitting outside in an Adirondack chair, drinking my coffee.  I won't say everything is easy peasy perfect though:  I've been waking up with what I think is carpal tunnel pain in my hands, mostly the right one, shooting right up my arm.  Well, last night it woke me up, fourth night in a row of crappy sleep, I tossed and turned, stretched out, and LEG CRAMP.  oh dear.  It was strange though, because it was painful from the thigh to the ankle, mostly the thigh, ouch.  I stood up to walk it off, felt hot and cold and nauseous, but it finally went away.  I crept back to bed every so carefully, didn't want to accidentally stretch out again.  

While it was happening though, I had a firm resolve, like this revelation:  I want to be found faithful, I want God's good pleasure over me, I want nothing to do with lies, backbiting, evil.  I can't explain it, but it was like I needed a little lightening bolt of encouragement. 

So I'm tired today, again, but other than that, very very thankful...and quite happy.  


4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Looks absolutely wonderful! Enjoy every moment. Your salad sounds too good to not try, so I will tell Madison. She is the chief salad maker! Keep enjoying, and take pics!

Terri D said...

So sorry for your pain and sleepless nights. Your vacation location looks amazing. Not sure I could have handled that steep bank to get down to the water. Good for you! Stretching those muscles, going up and down, could have contributed to your cramps. I love that y'all take the time out to enjoy each others' company on vacations. Your meals and 'goodies' always sound amazing!

Unknown said...

Good morning 🌞🌞

It looks just lovely where you are! Lovely you could get away for a few days with Paul and some of your girls 🥰 Supper sounds scrumpie…………

I have carpel tunnel and I wear a wrist brace to sleep at night and it has made a huge difference. Takes a while to notice, but when I had the nerves tested last time there was a real improvement. Maybe doesn’t work for everyone, but it has for me. I do not want to have the surgery as it doesn’t always work anyway. Those leg cramps are the worst!!! 😬😬

Enjoy your days!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your hand pain. I am assuming it is from all of the painting you have been doing. I know I get terrible hand pain when I use a paint brush for too long. The lake is beautiful. All of your part of the country is so green and lush...I am very jealous. We are only allowed to water our landscaping one day per week due to the drought conditions here.

Laurie in California