summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

tow truck!

 Oh, if it isn't one thing....it's a flat tire.  

I know, lovely, right?  We had some angels watching over us, this happened as we were driving on a small highway, it could have been bad.  This is our tire!  There was no pumping it up to make it to a tire shop, it was destroyed.  The tire pressure light went on, and ever so gently, we had a flat.  We were stopped in front of Molly's house, dropping Miss Lydia off, we checked, and oof, flat.

We decided to leave it there overnight, and call the tow truck this fine morning.  We had it towed to a Mavis Tire, in the small city.  I called first, and got a price on four tires, because may as well.   The tow truck finally came, and I finally got the call that the tires were installed.  Well, imagine my shock and surprise when the total was a hundred fifty dollars more than the nice man on the phone assured me it would be...  No sir, no way, now how, I explained.  It seems that they go through a call center, just like the tow truck third party service.  So the guy there approved a price I saw online (which should totally be legit, it's on THEIR website!), and the guy in the store said it was way more expensive for that tire.  I was nice, but stood firm, and one of them called someone who confirmed that my service order had that price, so it took an hour, but they honored it.  I walked out of there feeling like I hadn't just dropped five hundred bucks on tires, but like I had gotten a deal.  ( I really didn't though, I just got the price I was quoted!)

Anyway.  I should have gone home, as it was late afternoon, and what the heck was for dinner?  I got a total of TWO texts asking that very question.  I should have gone home, but I was all by myself, so shh, I wandered through BJ's.  I bought Hershey Kisses, because the jar was empty...Achilles had visited with us for a few hours this morning, as his mama and papa got their New York State driver's licenses instead of their Oregon ones, the Department of Motor Vehicles isn't for the fainthearted, or for two year olds.  Oh, and Achilles had the last few Kisses. 

So I bought some seltzer, a jar of cookie butter, burger, a pork loin roast, and some weed killer.   Then, I filled up the tank because gas was $4.69, which oh my goodness was a good deal, did you ever think we'd see the day?

I should have gone home then, but nope.  The dollar store beckoned.  I wanted to get pails and shovels for tomorrow's trip to the beach, but nope.  They had little tiny ones, I decided to get two, but I didn't find anything else.  Home, at last.

Dinner!  Oh dang, there was no time for grilling pork chops or chicken drumsticks!  The kids had to go out the door for a youth meeting, and I had to hurry hurry hurry....ha, I had dawdled, then had to hurry.  Taco salad again?  of course, why not?  I browned up some burger, Sonja chopped red and orange and green peppers, red onions, black olives.  Jonathan opened some corn, added cilantro.  We had fresh salsa, and there was sour cream.  A fantastic dinner, in the end.

And, tomorrow, the beach!  I didn't get to go the other day with the grandkids, but tomorrow, it's beach day!  The weather is clear and sunny, in the low eighties, not too shabby!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is cookie butter? Sounds like my new favorite thing...😍
Valerie

Jenny in WV said...

I bought tires a few weeks ago and was surprised by how much they were! The person working the desk at the tire place told me tire prices have been going up 4-12% every three months! Savings for new tires is a regular part of my budget and I thought I was doing great, I expected the actual cost of tires to be 10-20% less than the funds I had budgeted and set aside. They were actually $28 more! (For the set of 4) Fortunately, not a big deal, but a disappointing surprise.

Terri D said...

Yum to your tacos!! Good for you standing firm to get your quoted price on the tires! I am sure you really enjoy your alone time!! My goodness, you deserve it!! Have fun at the beach!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Cookie butter, Valerie, is just crushed Biscoff cookies, in a spread, like peanut butter, but oh my! It's very dangerous, very yummy.
Jenny, we were planning to get new tires before winter, but surprise! With that tire in such bad shape, we got them all replaced, the car has only just 40,000 miles on it, wow. EVERYTHING is getting so expensive, whoa.
Terri, I do enjoy the alone time, it is rare. :)