summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

being thankful, no matter what...

 Kathryn and I were in the pool today with her little kids (Achilles and Rhys), and I think Camille was floating around then too.   Well, we were talking about being thankful.  In everything.  You can let situations go by without taking them seriously, and life goes on, and you've missed your chance to get oil in your lamp.  Also, you can live your whole life thinking how the future is going to be so much better because:  thinness...it MIGHT happen!  There will be extra money!  Hawaii, it might happen!  Peace and quiet, might happen!  Enough sleep!  Hey, you never know!

One broadcaster that Kathryn heard said it something like this:  you chase around a dollar tied to the end of a pole, then you turn to a skeleton and fall into the grave.  

We only have this very moment, we have today.  The thing is, today rarely meets our standards for a perfect day.  So many things could be better!  grumpity-grump-grump!

Oh, but to be awake!  To be thankful to God for all that comes our way!  We can be so happy when we live this way!  When we bless instead of curse, turn the other cheek, give without wanting something in return, and simply give thanks.  

We need reminding, because it's so easy to get caught up in wanting, or in feeling just a tad bit sorry for ourselves.  I sometimes imagine me standing on a precipice, looking back at the journey that led to the end of my life, and seeing loud and clear the sessions of wasted time...when I was misunderstood, not noticed, dissed, and I didn't take it right!  Dwelled on the BOO-HOO, wallowed in it.  

I don't want to waste my precious moments of life on things like that.  I want to bless and be good.  It's been my prayer, too look at my hands, and ask God to have mercy, and let these hands do good.  I want to use my voice to build up, and knit the others together, not tear down and backbite.  

Today was a glorious day.  Kathryn brought the kids over bright and early, as she had a dr. appointment.  She came back and stayed for a bit, because her sink at home was backed up and not working.  So we swam and we hung out, and Achilles went in for a nap.  Sonja K., Charlotte Claire, and Camille were here too, so it was a nice day, a social day.  They told stories of their latest Norway experience, and packed up their things to go on another trip:  Emily picked them up after work and took them camping!

Kathryn stayed until about an hour ago, her sink was fixed and it was time to take the little ones home.

I stole this one from Kathryn, she took them to the grocery store the other day...this was before Achilles threw a fit, but shh, right?
Miss Rhys Harper....so adorable.

Achilles LOVES Grandpa!  They mowed this afternoon...

Just too cute.

We have a kitty that has adopted us.  I've put it on Facebook, have to post it a few more places.  Sadly, it doesn't seem like anyone is looking for this guy, he was so starving...the girls fed him a few days ago and we didn't know it, so of course he won't leave.  He's scrappy and scraggly and needs some loving, and a vet visit.  Well, we do NOT want or need another animal, we have two cats and two dogs.  But, he's so sweet, he purrs and purrs, and is so hungry.  He hangs out on the deck all day long, he's not going anywhere.  He's a handsome fellow, and shh, I looked into getting him neutered and the cost of a vet visit...and he needs a good flea collar, the Seresto ones cost over fifty bucks these days....but he's SO cute.


Little Miss Innocent, did NOT jump up and get the box of dog biscuits from the pantry shelf...no, not her.

It's hot here, really oppressively muggy and hot.  We always say in these parts, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity!".  When that humidity cranks up, oh dear, you can't sweat!  You're already all wet, so you just overheat.  blah.

But, we're not complaining, just a bit of recreational complaining.

My job training is on hold, btw, because Abigail and Mariel are in Norway.  

I made bacon and eggs for dinner tonight, Paul hasn't even eaten yet, (I saved him bacon, but he will make his own eggs when he gets to it) (the price of eggs!  oh my!) as he mowed the lawn.  He discovered wasps, a giant nest, so he went to the hardware store to get wasp spray.  It's so quiet here right now, just me, and the pets....two dogs and TWO cats, ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look into Canadian get meds. I got Ernesto collars for 25 us a few weeks ago.

Joybells said...

Thank you! I also need the reminders to not "wallow in the Boo-Hoo" as you so elegantly said it. :) And to pray for my hands and voice to do good, yes! I'm stoked for your new kitty and I hope you keep him. :)

Joy from Salem