summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 8, 2022

birthdays and wineries and swimming, oh my!

 Summertime, why can't it just last forever?  Bare feet.  No coat.  Windows open.  The crickets in the evening, tree toads croaking.  The birds singing in the morning, the pool.  

We had a birthday here on Saturday, and it was a warm ordeal.  I made macaroni and cheese, and it was really good, if I don't say so myself.  The pulled pork came out really good (I put vinegar and brown sugar on it, along with pepper, and some cajun spice, then a bottle of Wegman's Memphis bbq sauce when it was all shredded up in the crock pot).  I made pasta salad with little tomatoes from the garden, and cucumber from the stand down the road (and black olives, green peppers, and red onions).  We forgot to get hot dogs for the kids, so we put chicken nuggets in the air fryer, a few batches of them, they were actually really good.  There was a watermelon, and Grace brought some coleslaw.  

Margaret made the cupcakes, beautiful cupcakes, with pink buttercream frosting.  Grace made a "smash" cake for Ruth, happy first birthday beautiful little Ruth Eleanor!




It got hot in here, and it was rather getting time to eat, but I announced we were all going in the pool first.  I could have stayed in there for much longer, it was too much fun, and so refreshing, but kids were hungry.  I had turned off the oven, so the mac and cheese was done and hot, (what were we thinking, no AC, and turning on the oven!).   After cooling off in the pool though, it was much nicer to get the dinner out, we just set out the plates and forks and put serving spoons in everything, and we all bring our plates out to the deck...there's a little picnic table for the kids, and I put a table cloth on the new fire table, and it had cooled down a bit by then...not much, but a bit.  :)

Ten of the kids made it here for the birthday, and some spouses, (we also gave Sam some gifts, his birthday was on the second), and nine of the grandchildren.

Yesterday, we went on an adventure, Evelyn and Kathryn and I, along with Grace, and her mama who is visiting from Louisiana.  We packed a cooler with cold seltzers and waters and iced tea, and Evelyn brought some yummy charcuterie snacks, off we went towards the Finger Lakes.  Seneca Lake, so beautiful.  It was hot and humid, again, but there was a forgiving breeze from the lake, and it was cloudy, so it was more tolerable.  

We went wine tasting!  Now, I cannot tolerate alcohol any more, but I can have a few sips here and there, just a taste of a taste, and do all right.  I really enjoy the different wines, so it's hard, but I am thankful that Evelyn lets me take little tastes of hers.  

The funniest and loveliest thing:  Grace's mom, Tammy, had on a beautiful dress....the exact same one I had on, only a different color/pattern!


Grace and her mama...
Kathryn and Evelyn...

Evelyn, me, Kathryn...

I love love love that we had the same dress on.  I was going to wear a sleeveless dress, but I kept going back to this green dress, thinking I really wanted to wear it, and then Tammy got here and had one just like it, I don't know why it tickled me so.  

We had a nice time, were a bit silly, but enjoyed the scenery, and shh, stopped for ice cream on the way home.  Now, I should know by now that as much as I enjoy it, I never feel well later...I get used to eating cleanly, and it throws me off, hurts my tummy...blah.  It WAS good, but not worth it, for me.  

It's warm and humid again here today, but there are no plans, and the girls are here, and we might do something fun...whether that something fun includes a trip to Target, or to a beach, or just hanging out in the pool, I don't know, but I'm excited about the day.

Our week:  PT for Camille tomorrow and Thursday.  I will probably be working with Abigail this week, as she is returning from Norway today.  I have to get all of my dollhouse stuff out and ready for our summer conference children's area, next week.  I have paperwork to do for Camille's home school, and dr. appointments to make.   

Next week is our church summer conference/fellowship week.  It's focused on the children, so we'll have lots of things to keep them busy, with the youth/young people and adults mentoring, helping with it all.   I'm going to be helping Margaret with a cookie decorating station, and helping set up the toddler area.  

So Jonathan is in Germany, adjusting to being away.  We talked via face time, and he's sent pictures and texted, he's working, and having fun....I'm not sure this is the wisest shirt to wear there, but it's Jonny.

Oh dear.  Anyway, enjoy your day, and be thankful, make good choices!  (Freaky Friday, a movie from way back when, we are movie quoters here...make good choices!)
 


5 comments:

AnAmericanHousewife said...

Oh I laughed out loud when I saw J's t-shirt.... I'm still chuckling as I write this. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Woah, what a gutsy shirt! I just finished reading Facing the Mountain, about Japanese Americans in WW2, really good. There was so much going on (and wrong) in that war!
Valerie

Terri D said...

That smash cake is probably the most smashed one I have ever seen!! SO CUTE! I loved all your photos!!

Unknown said...

Good morning!

Lovely pictures Della………little Ruth is loving that cake!!! Supper sounded great too.

You will be busy next week at the church conference. Do lots of people come? I hope the weather is good especially if you have planned outdoor activities.

Have a lovely day! 🌞🌞

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Ruth had a little too much cake, if you ask me, but I wasn't going to take it from her ha! She sure enjoyed it! Yes, we will be busy, around 800-1000 are expected for next week, so many of them young people and kids, too. They come from Canada, and other states, and some from Europe. I hope we have nice weather too, lots of things are planned for outdoors. Thank you for kind words, Marilyn, I always appreciate your nice comments:)