summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 13, 2022

oh sunshine, yes, I'll take it!

 Here in central NY, cloudy weather is the norm.  The winter gives way to spring, and you crave the warmth and sunshine, simply long for it, but...clouds, chill, rain, maybe a little more snow as winter is so reluctant to let go.  Then comes summer, and we are READY for sun.  This particular summer, it seems like we've gotten what we want.  Today AND tomorrow's forecast:  sunshine.  And don't hate us:  the humidity is low, the temps moderate, high in the seventies today, absolutely perfect, in my book.

Speaking of perfect...Rhys!  I did not buy her this adorable bonnet, because as you can probably guess from her hand hovering there, she didn't keep it on for long.  Oh, she's cute.
Sonja K. was talking on the phone with Achilles with his sandals, that's Miss Cam there too.  We met Kathryn in Target...

I buy chicken breast in Target, it's a good price, and well trimmed.  My secret has gotten out, it's been out of stock the last few trips.  Then this time, it was in stock, with one dollar off stickers on each package, but...the price jumped!  It was $1.99, then $2.39, now $2.99 a pound...that's still cheaper than some places in the country, but ouch.  

Paul is going to Colorado for a few days, and asked me to bake some cookies for his co-workers...a triple batch took two hours to bake yesterday, yielded 162 cookies.  I brought a dozen to Kathryn last night, I'm sure I won't have trouble unloading whatever he doesn't pack and bring with him on his trip.

(I would love a double oven, or two ovens, or a huge multi-racked convection oven, yes I would)

Dinner last night:  the girls made a barbecue chicken pizza from leftover grilled chicken breast...with red onion, and garlic butter on the crust, it smelled so good, but I didn't have any.  I had leftover chicken cooked up in some butter and ginger, an egg, and a piece of sausage.  

Here's a nightmare:  yesterday when we came home from the store, putting groceries away, we took care of some leftovers, and there was a bottle with like two inches of wine in it from a few weeks ago...I told Sonja she should just pour it in a glass and drink it...so later, I was out in the sun by the pool with Charlotte Claire, and Sonja comes out with the wine glass...I took a sip, Char took a sip, then Sonja drank it...then, when I was still in the pool and she was picking up her stuff to go back in the house, smash!  The glass slipped out of her hand, broke on the deck, and pieces fell into the pool.

Char got the broom, and a bag, and started picking up the big pieces, but there were chunks glistening in the pool...near my feet.  I used the skimmer, Sonja used a raft paddle, and we played capture the glass chunks.  The water had to be still so we could see, and I had to not step on any.  It was a long, tedious game, one we had to win, but we think we got it all.  

Ah well, life is interesting.  I was talking to my sister yesterday, and we agreed:  everyone has their trials.  If you think someone else's life is better than yours, you are mistaken.  We all have things to deal with, ..."He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust." (Matt 5:45).   

Anyway.  Have a really nice day!

3 comments:

Terri D said...

Oh my, glass in the pool. Sure hope you got it all. Your cookies always look SO GOOD! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!! xo

Linda said...

Grin...I hope you have a beautiful week ahead, my friend.

Billie Jo said...

That precious baby in that bonnet!!!! I always wore them on my girls. I think I still have them tucked away. Sorry about the glass. Broken glass is one of my fears. One time we were out to dinner at Cracker Barrel, and the waitress brought our food. She dropped a little glass of syrup, and it shattered. I felt horrible, but I told her we would need to have all the food remade. Steve wasn't impressed. He always tells me glass can't jump!!! : )