summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

it's a wonderland already!

 

Snow covered branches, the brightness in house, that snowy glow...it just screams Christmas!
We didn't get much, and it'll warm up to 40 today, so bye-bye snow, but still, it's pretty.
This is Mama Cat, or The Kettler...Old Kitty, if you will.  Last evening, as I was cozy in my chair reading my newest thrift store book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (which you should read if you haven't, I read it years ago, and am enjoying it immensely, it reminds me so strongly of my mother...it came out when she was a little girl, I think she identified with a lot of it...)...anyway, I had poured myself a tall glass of Coke Zero, and was enjoying it...when I sensed that perhaps Kitty was drinking it.  I held the glass to her, and she started lapping it up, she WAS drinking it!

As my late mother would have said, little piss-pot!  (she didn't swear, this was pretty much the worse she would say).    That dang kitty, she was all purry and innocent, she reached down and licked my nose, then cuddled up purring again...I had to dump the whole drink, of course.  I can drink after a snotty-nosed grandchild...no, no, I cannot...I can usually share with them if they AREN'T snotty-nosed...but no sir, not after the cat.  nope.
This Christmas cactus was $4.99 in Aldi....:)
Just a wee bit of Christmas...and yes, I do love Thanksgiving...we're having it at Emily and Mariel's place this year...and yes, Christmas came out a bit early here, the girls won, ha.

This fine morning, Camille and I are going on a drive...a half hour, 22 miles, to her orthopedic appointment.  This surgeon/dr. did Sonja's knee surgeries, and we trust him, and like him, so when he left his local practice for a more rural one, we decided to seek care there for Camille when she started in with knee issues.  It's not too much further away, but I am super glad the temperature is rising today, and we won't be driving in the snow...anything north of here, closer to Ontario, can be hazardous.  

Last evening, the girls packed up their homework and went over to Emily and Mariel's house to study with some other girls, and have a cozy dinner, before going to an evening gathering.  I had thought I was driving them, but Sonja came home from the hospital and was eager to join in.  (She was at the Children's hospital, so many sick babies, sick with RSV).    So I was staying home, just with Paul!  I decided to make meatballs...I chopped and minced fresh garlic and onions, added them to a mixture of Italian seasoned bread crumbs, 2/3 sleeve of round crackers all crushed up, and some whole oats, with onion powder, minced dried onions, garlic powder, salt and coarse pepper, basil, and oregano...4 pounds of ground beef, three eggs, and:  meatballs!  I turned them halfway through baking, we like them with a little bit of crunch, but not dried out...I put them in a pan of bubbling sauce:  I sautΓ©ed a small bit off fresh garlic and onions in olive oil, added crushed tomatoes and a jar of pasta sauce....they were pretty good, and there are enough left for dinner tonight.  


Orange Guy is purring here in my chair, have to move him so I can get ready to leave...these cats love snuggling when the weather gets cold!   Have a really good day...:)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della!

I have just loaded that book onto my reader. I read it years ago and loved it. I’m reading TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD again for the 2nd or 3rd time. It been years though. Amazing story. Did you ever read BROOKLYN? I just loved that book.

Love all your pictures. I heard that Buffalo NY is going to fet 2-4 feet of snow!!! That cannot be right, can it πŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯Ά Drive carefully 😬😬

Have a good day and I hope all is good at the doctor.

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Billie Jo said...

Ok. Those meatballs sound absolutely delicious! I can almost smell the sauce right now! I would have dumped my soda, too, I'm afraid. In fact, I have done the same thing when my little Mocha helps herself to my coffee! Our snow is still here, and I am hoping for more! Have a cozy evening, my friend!

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I haven't read Brooklyn, but To Kill A Mockingbird is an all-time favorite. A few years ago, my girls gifted me two theatre tickets to see the play...I chose Evelyn, we both re-read the book before going to see the production...it was entrancing...just loved it. Yes, 2-4 feet...My D-I-L Grace, who hails from Louisiana, although she has lived in many places, mentioned today how strange it is that we measure snow in FEET and not INCHES, ha. She's so excited for the snow, and good thing, they live up in Oswego, right on Lake Ontario!
BillieJo, those meatballs were so good! I made plenty, so in a little while, they're going in the oven with some extra sauce, and mozzarella on top! (The first snow is always lovely!)

joeks said...

Mama Cat is so pretty! (And of course Orange Guy is quite handsome.) One holiday we found that our Siamese cat liked sparkling grape juice, but she only got the last few drips out of the bottle!

Unknown said...

Della are you totally snowed in!! 😬😬😬 I was watching the news nd it looks just shocking!! Stay safe πŸ’•

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, we aren't snowed in, but north of us got tons...we are half hour south of Ontario, and whatever way the wind shifts, they get the snow...east of the lake, and directly south on the shore (Oswego), and Buffalo, got a lot. We only got a few inches.

Unknown said...

I was thinking of you when I saw it on the news. I’m glad you are ok πŸ’•

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦