summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

a fresh new start on a terribly rainy day!

I started my day with a cup of coffee, browsed the news and a few blogs, then started in on The Project.  I sorted through the toy bins, and managed to throw away a whole bag of assorted nonsense.  The rest of the toys were put in the bins properly, baby toys, food and dishes, cars and trucks, and Nerf stuff.  (We'll see how long it lasts.). Then take everything off the walls, mud up the spots, sand the spots we already spackled, and move all the furniture into the middle of the room.

The girls lifted the dog bed, with the cat on it, put it on the ottoman, kitty didn't even wake up.

 Camille started, look at how much lighter the new color is, Fleur de Sel, Sherwin Williams.  

Miss Charlotte Claire, fearless little monkey.  She climbed up on that stool with paint and brush in hand, just like nothing.
Miss Camille Anaya, all smiles.
They did all the higher up stuff for me.  We do have a few nice paint stool/ladders, but Char preferred the kitchen stool.
My new-to-me painting dress. It's warm and muggy and rainy, hot enough in here for a nice cool dress. It was only $3 at the thrift store, and I don't like how it looks on me, so Painting Dress!
It's pouring rain...a dark cozy day, perfect for painting!

It's done now, except for a few areas that we patched up and haven't dried enough to be sanded, still have be painted.  The rest is all done, two coats on the trim, two coats rolled on, down the hallway too.  phew.
I'm done in.  

Sonja got home from work, and the girls left to go clean a cabin, to earn a little money.  They are amazing, I told them I am very proud of them.  They put in a hard day's work with ZERO complaints.  When I suggested painting the livingroom, it's not like they jumped up and down saying, oh yes, we love to paint!

But, they were so helpful to me.  They didn't even need much managing, they knew what needed to be done and how to to do it.  I had to take a coffee break after like four hours, my shins were pushing up into my kneecaps, at least it felt like that.  Char was assuring me it was fine for me to take a break, and she would get all the high stuff, no worries.  

So I am truly proud of them, they have a work ethic and most importantly, they worked happily.  It was officially a good day.  They played their music, and while I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan, I didn't mind.  They had some FleetwoodMac, Billy Joel, Queen in there too.  

So now the furniture is all still in the middle of the room, all the stuff off the walls, but it's mostly done.  I wanted to paint the ceilings too, but not in the same day with just the three of us, another day.  They are going water-falling tomorrow, then they both work both Thursday and Friday, then on Friday...they are going to the Adirondacks with Emily.  I have been invited to go too....I haven't decided.  I love adventures,   and love to be included in girls outings, but a night in the tent...sounds fun, and ouch-y. 

Since they were such excellent helpers, I told them to order a pizza and some chicken wings and pick them up on the way home from cleaning.  It's sort of tradition, they help paint, we get pizza.  It started because:  who wants to cook dinner when they've been painting all day? I remember painting the kitchen walls AND ceiling not too many years ago, and they were just DONE but we weren't yet done, so that pizza dangling at the end of the job really helped.  

So I have to put all the outlet covers and the light switch covers back on, and hang things back up.  No hurry.  The curtains have to go back up too.

You know what they say about projects, as soon as you start one, you see all the other stuff that needs to be done...our hallway still has the wood trim and doors, I would like to paint them white...the stairway needs touching up, the hand railing on the stairs, and the trim around all the windows, all need touching up.   I mentioned before that we never even put baseboard trim on after putting these floors in all those years ago...I try not to nag and complain about everything, although Paul would probably not know that ha, but I asked if we can please do this, and he's totally agreeable.  It wouldn't bother him, but if it bothers me, he'll get to it.  

Anyway.  that was my day.  Tomorrow will be warm and sunny again, yay!  My car is going in on Thursday for an alignment, and to diagnose if anything else is causing the undue damage to the tires.  I hope it's not another expensive fix, and that I get my car back, all ready to drive.  We've been keeping it to an absolute minimum.  Sonja has started work, and takes one of our vehicles every day, but is going to buy  a car as soon as she can.  Hey, it's the least we can do to help her get on her feet.

Anybody reading about the depth of corruption our president is involved in with his son Hunter?  wow.  Since the beginning of time it's been that way, I guess, men + power = greed & corruption.   I think Americans just want less government, fewer/less taxes, fewer laws, more freedom (don't make air conditioners cost twice as much, and leave the hot water heaters and gas stoves ALONE!).  

Anyway.  Time to get up and put a few things away...have a really good evening!


4 comments:

Terri D said...

Last paragraph... with you 100%!!

Marilyn said...

Hello 👋 I’m still having trouble posting 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Sometimes can’t 😳

Here goes! Everything looks lovely Della……..nothing like a fresh coat of paint to really freshen everything up. Job well done! Your girls are treasures 🥰

Have a lovely evening……

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Tereza said...

What an accomplishment and when the kids help without complaining … well that’s truly a blessing. Love the new lighter colour Della. Were you at brunstad? If u were we should have met up!

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, :)
Marilyn, it published! Yes, they are treasures!!!
Tereza, the girls all went to the camp, and Jon did too, then the second conference, but we did not make it this year. Ben and Ashley went, Mariel went, Abigail went...I'm thinking to go to Sisters' in March though...