summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Does this only happen to me?

 Well, it could be worse. This fine morning, after taking our car for a little drive and dropping it off to be aligned and diagnosed, I decided I'd work on getting the living room back in order.  I spent too long trying to put shelves back up levelly, they're still crooked...our house is kind of haunted, all the pictures on the walls are always crooked.  Anyway.  This beautiful mirror I got for $4.99 several years ago at the thrift store, painted the frame...love it...the hangers on the back were wonky, so I got my handy-dandy staple gun out, and ahh, I'm such a clever girl, got a nice strong plastic string stapled firmly to the back to hang it from....turned it over, and I had shattered the glass.  A nice big mess, no more nice mirror, and seven years bad luck.

I continued to putter around.  I washed last night's bacon pan (BLT's with tomatoes from the garden!), and some stray dishes.  I wiped down counters, polished the refrigerator, and stovetop, and the tile behind the stove.  I hung a few more things on the wall, and started vacuuming...in my around-the-house clothes, hair was brushed this morning, but was down and messy.  There I was, singing away, vacuuming, when I heard...a knock, on the door.  It was Paul's brother, Jim.  Now, it could have been worse.  At least I had started cleaning.  But.  Some of the livingroom furniture is still not against the walls, because there are still a few spots that need sanding and painting.  There's a big cardboard box on the living room floor, dog food shipped from Walmart in a Kitty House for Achilles, when he's a kitty, ha.  

Yeah, it could have been worse.  In theory, who cares?  There are five sopping wet towels hanging in from the railings and various chairs on the deck, because oops, it rained on them.  There are plenty of ride ons and toys on the deck too, and some strewn around here, too, but that's okay.

It's just that I don't like to be surprised.  He was supposed to text Paul to tell him when he was coming over, but must have forgotten to do that.  He dropped off some things from Grandma's.  We are buying her car, as she won't be driving anymore.  So, off we go to Florida again, flying down and driving back...

Yesterday was a picnic day in the park.  Kathryn brought her three little ones, then Char, Cam, and me.  First stop:  Wegmans, for picnic food.  The girls got some sushi, Kathryn and I got some ham and turkey, and a loaf of Italian bread.   I also got popcorn, pepperoni, and a package of cookies for the girls.  

This cart was too much fun for Rhys and Achilles.

It was warm and sunny, and the splash park was refreshing.

Random:  my brother Billy...I saw this picture recently, and oh how I miss him!  Our family was my older sister Cheryl, then four brothers (Bob, Tom, Joe, Billy), me, and my younger brother, Casey.  Billy was three years older than me, and we were very close growing up, and as teenagers.  I've told the story on here too many times to repeat it, but he did take his own life, in a horrible way...with a gun.  The shock recedes, the grief mellows out, but sometimes the whole thing just comes barreling back, strong and painful, and that never-answered question still niggles...WHY?!  Why, Billy, why?

Then there are good memories, like this of the five-girls-in-a-row, with Jonathan and Char (Cam must've been in bed?). (And knows where the older eight were...)...from left middle, Sonja, Suzanne in front left,Kathryn on the floor in pink, Margaret in the black shirt, with Evelyn on top, then Miss Char with Jon in the middle of her and Sonja...
Yesterday, after the park, Kathryn came in with the kids for a bit...Suri and baby Jamison.  

With Suri, Orange Guy, and Sunny...:)

Ah well, my break is almost over.  I want to clean out the refrigerator, and figure out what's for dinner. 

I have to go pick up my car, then get Camille from her babysitting job, then go pick up Charlotte Claire. Evelyn's coming over tonight to borrow my sander.  I miss Suzanne...she was here the other day and it was so nice to see her.  

Anyway. Time to get moving again!



3 comments:

Terri D said...

Hugs. That's for Billy. I loved your photos and hope the car problems were addressed! Safe travels down this way and back.

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, thank you! I always read your blog, btw, but have trouble commenting. Car problems are complex, it's needing a bigger fix. We're thinking about fixing it and selling it...getting something more reliable, I don't know...I love it, but trouble and more trouble. :)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

Two days in a row I can get on to comment 🙄Whoop!!

You are always so busy doing great stuff……….I’m sorry you broke your mirror. I remember when you bought it and painted it and it was so lovely. That’s the pits about your vehicle! It’s been a bit of a problem from the get go, hasn’t it? Not what we expect from a new vehicle. Baby Jameson is so gorgeous……..I just LOVE little babies 🤗

Have a lovely tomorrow!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦