summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

monday, where did you go?

 Camille and I had to get up early and hit the road yesterday, for an appointment about 40 minutes from here.  It was just a check up for her knee.  The offices uses an annoying reminder system, they call you three times to remind you of your appointment.  I answered the first call, made on the 10th, and then when the call came again and once more, I just ignored it.  I was busy.  Well.  Turns out, they also call you to let you know the dr. won't be available for your appointment.  The nice receptionist explained they tried to get through to me, oh dear.  What can I say?  I assumed those calls were the same reminders.  She said they would switch me in the system to text messages.  I told her that at least it wasn't a total waste of time to drive all the way up ther, as I had good company, Miss Camille Anaya.  

It was kind of hilarious, kind of frustrating, because with an 8 a.m. appointment, even Aldi isn't open, and that's like right across the road from the health center.  So we went into Price Chopper and got her a donut, and a few other important things.

Home...ah, home.  I knew what was waiting for me, I had bought a new rug for the living groom, put it down on Sunday...so Sunday night, Suri thought to her old eleven-year-old self, this looks like a fine place to make a large puddle of pee, and to drop a few big poops while I'm at it.   I saw it as I scrambled to get out the door with Cam, did NOT have time to address it.  

I brought that rug outside, cleaned it all up with pet carpet cleaner, hosed it right off, then left it in the sun to dry.  Of course it's a nice rainy day now, and it's still out there.  I am not going to put it back down, Suri seems to view it as a large puppy pad.  ugh.  I made sure to coax her down those deck stairs with the promise of a treat, last night, made sure she went potty before bed.  She's slowing down, and it's really hard, just heartbreaking.

Anyway.  We wanted to do something fun because as hard as we're trying to slow summer down, it's slipping right through our fingers.  Kathryn needed groceries, but the girls didn't want to do that, although I personally would have been fine with doing that.  She ended up dropping Rhys here with her car seat, and we took her along on our adventures, so Kathryn only had to bring Achilles and Jamison to the store.  

We went over to Skaneateles, walked along the lake shore and through the town...

Cam and Char, with Rhys, in The Patisserie, it smelled heavenly.
Rhys and Aunt Sonja
Charlotte Claire
We wanted to sample the butter croissant, the blueberry turnover, the chocolate chip cookie, the half-moon cookie, the chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream, the pink frosted sugar cookie with sprinkles (for Rhys)

There was a begging duck, Rhys loved it.

Across the lake a bit, someone has a boathouse in Victorian style.
It was a nice Girl's Day out...which ended with a trip to...
The thrift store!

We brought Rhys home, then it was time to start dinner.  I had pork chops soaking in lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper, with some lemon and rosemary.  I put them on the grill with leftover salt potatoes, oh dear they were good.  Camille made homemade pasta.   

Sunday was a good day.  Emily brought Charlotte Claire and Camille back from their camping trip...
Miss Char...

Emily
Beautiful Adirondack lake...it's like Anne H. said, New York isn't just a city.

Anyway. Sunday, Sam and Grace came over with Grant, Ruth, Maeve.  Molly and Josh brought Lydia and Ophelia, their new baby is due soon.  Margaret and Adrian brought Wulf and Tennyson, their new baby is due a week after Molly's.  Kathryn and Darius brought Achilles, Rhys, and Jamie.  Then Paul were here too.
I put four racks of ribs in the smoker, then some chicken drumsticks.  I made some hotdogs for small kids who prefer them.  We had watermelon, salt potatoes, a big salad with tomatoes from the garden.  We had blueberry pie and ice cream, and donuts.  (I had some of my special pie, with very little sugar, and a thin crust, no ice cream or donuts ha).  

There was swimming and playing on the swings and on the trampoline and sitting around the living room with afternoon coffee.  There were small children running around, and it was a happy house.
Kathryn with her Jamie, and Sam and Grace's new baby Maeve Lousie.
The swing set!
Happy Grandma with cousins, Jamie and Maeve...Jamie has gotten giant!  I told Kathryn that when the new babies come, he'll look like a big dope...he is precious of course, and we just joke like that.  
Achilles, Wulf, Grant, Rhys
Achilles, Wulf, Grant, Rhys, Ruth, Darius
Sweet Jamie.

Today is a rainy day, and Sonja is at work.  I've been cleaning up Jonny's room because I suspect he'll be home this week.  It's a surprise.   Evelyn is driving to New York City to pick him up, then he'll spend the night at her apartment, and show up here with him to surprise me.  I don't know which day it'll be.  The girls know, but I'm behaving myself and not trying to get them to spill.  

Emily and Mariel invited me to go with them to a few wineries and for a swim in Seneca Lake on Saturday.  Yes, I would LOVE to.  However, Paul and I might be flying to Florida on Saturday night.  We aren't sure yet, as there are things to take care of there with selling her place down there, moving her to a better room in the place she's in, ect.  I don't want to wait too long, because next week is Lydia's birthday celebration, here, and the next day we go camping.  Worst case scenario:  Paul goes alone, but I want to go with him, want to see Grandma, and don't want him to drive back home alone.  

So life is busy and I'm thankful for that.  The days and weeks fly by, we're careening towards autumn, and there's not a thing we can do about it.  I do love the fall, but summer days are the best.  Bare feet.  The flowers, the garden, the pool, the deck...even today, gray and rainy and super cozy, it's amazing.  But then we do live in a wonderful state, with the Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks, and Lake Ontario, and the apple orchards, dairy farms, country roads.  The current government, no thank you, Kathy Hochul, um no, the taxes and rules and gun laws, no sir, but...it's still a beautiful place.  

And...off I go to switch over the laundry...




2 comments:

Mari said...

I hate those constant messages and would have thought the same thing.
So sorry about the new rug!
Yes, a tiny baby makes the older ones look so big.
Those kids grow as fast as the summer days slip by. :) I don't like either things happening.
Looks like you had a great time enjoying the outdoors with your precious family.

Terri D said...

Yes, some of those places go overboard with the reminders. I agree. Della, your posts are always full of happy faces and delicious-sounding meals! My goodness!! How fun that the kids want to surprise you with Jonny's homecoming! Please keep us posted!!