summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, August 13, 2023

from the farm down the road..

 




Blueberries!



Sonja was thinking about blueberry pie...so after going to TJ Maxx, Target, and Price Chopper, we stopped to pick some berries.  It was thundering in the distance, and the wind was picking up.  There were tornado warnings, so we didn't dawdle too much.



There were enough to make two pies, and a little one with only a little bit of sugar and a thinner crust, for me.  I would have preferred a LOT more berries in them, but we picked what we felt we safely could.  
I do not make a beautiful pie.  It's beauty lies in that the butter crust is egg-washed and sprinkled with sugar, and that it's fresh and fragrant.  I don't trim the edges, I just fold it all under, for those of us who love the crust, and don't like to waste things.  Years ago when all the kids were here, I'd make four or six pies at a time, trim the edges, sprinkle the extra pieces with butter, cinnamon, and sugar, and bake them up.  Anyway, they may not be gorgeous, but I think they'll be good.  Shh, Sonja tried a piece last night and said it was really good.

Then it was time to make dinner, for only Sonja, Paul, and I.  The chicken was all sliced up in a marinade of lime juice, garlic, rosemary with lemon, salt and pepper...I wanted to grill it, but the skies were swirling and the thunder growling, so I just browned it up in some olive oil.  I sliced a green pepper and a red pepper, and a red onion, and we had fajitas!   
We also had fresh corn on the cob from a different farm down the road, mmm.  Paul also bought some peaches...

I haven't had one yet, but they are beautiful.
After dinner it was time to prepare the ribs, remove the backing and season them, four racks.

Emily, Charlotte Claire, and Camille...they stayed two nights, are still up in the Adirondacks. This looks like maybe they climbed the fire tower.  They look so happy.  Em is such a good big sister!  Do you know that her and I are closer in age than her and Cam?  We are 19 1/2 years apart, they are 21 1/2 years apart.  (Obviously I didn't go camping.  I'm usually torn, I want to go everywhere with all of them!  But, I've had a really nice weekend with Paul and Sonja)
Random Picture of The Day, Orange Guy on the deck couch...he has that sprawl down pat.

Today will be a busy day.  It already has been:  I got the ribs in the smoker, sprayed some bug repellent on the garden, which I hate to do, but they're taking over, eating the zucchini.  I turned on the pool, cleaned up the yard after the dogs, and tidied up the kitchen a bit.  I need to move again, so much to do!  The kids are all coming over today for smoked barbecued ribs, watermelon, salads, salt potatoes, and blueberry pie, and to swim in the pool and run around the yard and have an afternoon coffee and solve the world's problems.  I'll rock the new baby and get some hugs from busy toddlers and fill drinks, hand out wipes, tell stories, get out fun toys...it'll be a swirl of activity, it'll tire me out, but when I sit in my comfy chair after everyone has gone home, and survey the trail of destruction left behind...the toys strewn around, the stray sippy cups, the half empty seltzer cans...I'll be the Good Kind of tired.






2 comments:

Terri D said...

Those pies look amazing and I am sure they are delicious! I love that your kids and grands are around all the time and that even when they aren't, they are in touch and sharing photos. Awesome, Della. Have a blessed week!!

Marilyn said...

Della those pies are fabulous!! I can’t eat pie anymore as I haven’t mastered gluten free pastry. Yours look wonderful

It looks like the girls are having fun! I hope your big chow down yesterday went well. I bet it did!!😋😋😋

Have a lovely evening! 🤗

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦