summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, November 6, 2023

for 25 years I've put up with it now...

(Come on, the Grinch?!  "For 53 years I've put up with it now, I must stop this Christmas from coming, but HOW?!")

Anyways, I realized this fine morning, that I've had teenagers in the house for over 25 years straight, so far.  Twenty five years of teenagers.  Now wonder I'm crazy ha.  I have not become an expert in dealing with the drama, but I have learned a few things.  Mostly, 1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed of yourself, and to the doctrine; continue in them, for in doing this you shall save both yourself, and those that hear you.   Take heed to yourself.  This is the backbone of Christianity though, isn't it?  So simple.  But when you have children, it's vital to think about, especially when those sweet rambunctious children turn into the Dreaded Teenagers.

Respect.  We all love and crave respect, and children are no different.  

Anyway.  We had another busy weekend.  That extra hour of sleep, well ha.  I woke up at 5 something on Sunday morning...Paul had headed out to the woods, it woke me up, and I was wide awake.  At 5:41, I got up.  ugh.  I KNEW it was REALLY 6:41, which is sleeping in by ten minutes, but dang, I had stayed up late on Saturday.  It's hard to fool this old body.  

After church yesterday, the house started to fill up.  Sam was here, Jonathan and his friend Woutar, Sonja and Char and Camille were here, then Margaret came with her three little ones, then Kathryn with her three little ones arrived.  Paul was here too.  They had leftover pizza and wings from a gathering the night before, then we made homemade pizzas for dinner.  We also had hot sausages, and they had some leftovers from all the venison dishes Friday night.  

Friends Carmen (holding Kathryn's Jamison), Amanda, my girls Molly, Sonja (holding Molly's Denzel), and Camille...
Sonja with Tennyson.  He says she is his best friend.
Auntie Evelyn with Jamie
Sonja with Blythe, Tennyson, Jamison, and Kathryn

Grandpa playing Sorry! with Ten and Achilles.
Wulf, Woutar reading to Rhys and Ten
Baby Blythe!

I'm leaving for the pool in like five minutes.  Then, Kathryn has appointments for the kids, and Sonja, Camille and I are accompanying to help...then we're going to the Patisserie, which has amazing baked goods.  My plan is to save the baked goods for after dinner tonight, and share with Jonathan and Woutar.  It's fun to get a variety, and cut them all up and taste.  

Woutar has been here for a few months now, but is leaving on Thursday.  He's going back to the Netherlands, via a conference in Norway.  Jon will be going to Norway too, but will be back next week.  We will truly miss Woutar, he's such a nice kid.  Hopefully he'll be back sometime!  

Lots of other things are going on too, but not all stories are mine to tell.  Some fun things are happening though, and other things are extremely sad.  

Now, though, I've used up my morning sitting-in-the-chair time, and have to move it move it, the swim class awaits!  Have a really good Monday!


8 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning! Yes you have indeed had teenagers for a long time. Wow!! I think you must be a saint 🥰 One needs to close one’s ears sometimes with teenagers, but have them open a bit not to miss anything. They can be lots of fun actually, finding their way and place in the world. I remember mine being so ratty one minute and the next as sweet as pie. I know I was like that for sure! I just love all your pictures Della! Such gorgeous little kids…..and big ones too 😊

I am rejoining the Y and getting my little self off to exercise just to maintain my strength. As we age we need to do that. You are doing so well going off to your water exercises. So good for you.

Well I’m going for a walk after lunch with Wilma 😉 While the weather is good it nice to walk around the park at the end of our street and through the neighborhood to see what’s going on.

Have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Mari said...

25 years of teenagers! I think you are pretty amazing - and you are still sane!

Terri D said...

It is always an interesting visit, Della! So much fun activity, always! Hope you enjoyed the pool! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, "ratty one minute and the next as sweet as pie" , that about sums it up. :). You're wise to get that exercise!
Mari, sane...well, that's debatable ha.
Terri, I do love that pool...don't always want to get going, but am always glad I did.

Anonymous said...

Teens do make life interesting…_

Anonymous said...

Lol, that was sent before I finished. My girls at home now are in their early 20’s. It’s so much fun to have them here. Everyone has an opinion, much like when they were teens. We have had kids in our house everyday for 50 years. I loved the baby, toddler years and dreaded the teen years but once I had teens I loved it. They certainly kept me busy and on my toes. Lol
Enjoy your family. The little ones are adorable.

Judy

Pamela M. Steiner said...

You are amazing! I had three teenage boys at one time, and it about did me in! LOL. I am thankful that God has blessed you with exactly what you need to do what you do. What a lively and fun bunch you have there! I can imagine the stories each have to tell, and yes, always, there will be good and not so good in every family. We are all human and have our own journeys to follow. Thank heavens for Jesus, Who is always ready to lead us no matter what. Thank you for this little snippet into your daily life. May God bless you and keep you always.

Sandi said...

What a blessing to have family so close! 😃💕