summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, November 19, 2023

just too warm...and so broken

 The appliance plotting has gotten out of hand.  That refrigerator didn't wait it's turn, the washer is still broken, isn't it one at a time?  Paul tried to fix it, but declared it a loss.  He even tried to blow dry the ice that had formed around the fan, but then the whole unit just wouldn't even turn back on.  Being without a refrigerator right before Thanksgiving, um...uh-oh!

Now allow me to grump a little.  Paul was out there saying hopeless things like OH NO!, and POOP.  Then he said, "I don't know what we're going to do, this is just done."  I was helping by staying out of the way, and looking at new refrigerators online.  "Well, there are $899 GE fridges at Lowes."   Okay, he said, let's go get one.  what?  It takes longer than that to decide what we want!  I can't make such a big decision so fast, give me a few minutes! 

Well ha ha on me.  I looked, for all the good it did me.  None of those good deals are in stock.  We had to drive 40 miles to get the Whirlpool we chose, which is smaller than our broken one.  There were so many nicer ones, excellent bargains, good deals, bigger and roomier, with nicer features...but we can't wait until next week, some were not delivering until January.  So, we took a nice long drive this fine morning, and bought a refrigerator I don't love.

It's spiffy...but shh, the door handles don't line up.  
The refrigerator side before we filled it...there are only two drawers, the old one had three.  We used them for meats, cheeses, and veggies/produce.  Now we had to choose, so it's meats, produce, then the cheeses not in a drawer.  I think I'll get a few clear plastic organizer bins.
The freezer...the ice maker takes up a lot more room, giving us a smaller freezer.
The refrigerator side...

I am well aware I shouldn't complain, when we were able to go buy a brand new, one thousand dollar refrigerator.  It's very nice, all new and spiffy.  It's a hard thing to drop that much money on, but Lowe's has a credit card, you can pay for it in up to a year with no interest.  I am not unthankful, really.  It's just a bit frustrating that we got something that's not even as nice as the one we had, know what I mean?  But, Merry Christmas to me, none the less!:)  And:  the waterline isn't hooked up yet, when it is, we will hopefully have a working ice maker again!  The old one on our broken fridge broke a long time ago.  I would occasionally buy a bag of ice so it would dispense, but mostly we used ice cube trays.  

Paul looked briefly at the washing machines as we left the store to load that refrigerator into the truck, and said, "I hope we won't be coming back soon."  

Anyway.  We missed church today.  I asked the kids what it was about, one of them said, "...about never missing just because your refrigerator is broken."  

I had put five pounds of chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and garlic cilantro salsa in the crock pot in the morning.  I cut up red, orange, and green peppers, a red onion, and we had the yummiest fajitas.  Jon made a pan of jasmine rice, and there were jalapeรฑos, and lots of other toppings.  Then we cracked into one of the Norwegian chocolate bars Jon brought home.  It was a nice afternoon.  Emily, Margaret and Adrian with Wulf and Tennyson and baby Blythe, Samuel and Grace with Grant, Ruth, and baby Maeve, and Jon, Sonja, Char, Camille, Paul, me...the guys helped Paul get the new one in, and the old one out.  Then we had to put the food back in, and all that...it was busy, but nice to have the company.  
The giant waffle blocks I got from the thrift store were a hit.  They built a cage for Wulf.

Auntie Sonja with baby Blythe.
Big brother Tennyson...

The kids are watching a Lord of the Rings movie,  Miss Char is on school break.  How can one lament small refrigerators and describe bouncy children, with "musing on heraldry" and such nonsense blaring on the television?   I cannot blog with it on.  Perhaps tomorrow....have a good evening...





5 comments:

Mari said...

Sigh! That happened to us last year on a day we were planning to leave for a long weekend. Thankfully we have a spare frig in the garage and could use it. We delayed our leaving for a few hours, bought a new one and it was delivered the day we returned.
I agree - your appliances are plotting!
Love what your kids said about church! :)

Joybells said...

Oh, yikes. Fridge replacements are hard!!! I'm sorry. We had to replace ours recently, but it took a VERY long time to find what we wanted, that would fit our space, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. It would have been much tougher to do all that in a few hours - probably impossible. Good for you, for solving the problem and moving on. Also, I am laughing about what your kids said!! Heh, heh. Have a wonderful day, Della!

Joy from Salem

Marilyn said...

Oh Della it doesn’t rain but it pours………or whatever that saying is. I’m so sorry about your fridge. What a bummer. About 8 months ago ours was making a funny noise every now and then. We had replaced the stove a couple of years before and just replaced the dishwasher and they were all the same age. So we went looking and found a really good deal on a fridge that was in stock and could be delivered in the next few days, so we did it. It was just as well because the one at home was ready to die! We didn’t hook up the water as everyone I know who has the water in the fridge has a problem with it. I love our new fridge! I can still put my magnets on it! Many you can’t. My washer did a load yesterday and the water didn’t come in ๐Ÿ˜ณ So I have to keep an eye on that now!! Always something ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Look at that darling baby girl๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’• with her pretty auntie ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

We are off to hopefully get our new TV today!! Merry Christmas to us!!! They didn’t have the one in stock we wanted…….”.it should be here on Monday…would you like to pay for it now?? No …..I’m not paying for something I don’t have yet ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก”What a cheek eh?

You have a lovely day…..๐Ÿ˜Š

Marilyn from Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Anonymous said...

You now have...my fridge!! I will spare you photos of my dirty version, with broken drawer and shelving. It's working, for a couple of years now. Sorry that had to happen to you now, but glad you could replace it soon enough.
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, our last refrigerator I bought while Paul was in Germany for two weeks for work. I had to pick it out and do everything myself, but those guys from Lowe's brought it in, in the rain, and removed the old one. (I did tip them well!). It was a Samsung, and we had so much trouble with it right from the start, but it was much roomier than this new one. Other appliances you can wait to replace, I lived without an oven for almost a year once. But the refrigerator, ugh.
Marilyn, I'm glad someone loves their new 'fridge, ha. And the magnet, yes! My daughter said ours would look so much better without them...um, not happening. A new tv too, wow. The girls say we need a bigger one, ours is rather small, but do we really? Valerie, I am truly sorry I have dissed your refrigerator! :). I am glad to hear it's still running though. It's sad how cheaply made the door shelves are though...dang, I can see them cracking.