summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 11, 2023

98 cut out cookies, and a whole bunch of Rice Krispie treats!

 The cookies are baked, cooled, bagged and packaged into Rubbermaid containers.  The glossy frosting/glaze, white and red and green, all made and put into containers.  The sprinkles and cookie toppings are all packed up and ready to go.  The Rice Krispie treats with red and green sprinkles and red and green M&M's are all made, cooled, cut and put on a huge platter, wrapped up and ready to go.  Tomorrow is the Christmas party for the kids at church, and one of the activities is cookie frosting.  

The snow melted and the day warmed up.  The girls went on a walk, Paul went hunting, I stayed in here and puttered.  

Next thing we know, it's Sunday afternoon.  The Christmas party for the kids is done and over with, our cookie frosting table was great fun.  There was an indoor Mount Crumpet for the kids to sled and slide down, fake snowballs to lob at each other, craft stations, and sensory bins of "snow" to play in.  There was music, there were gifts, and there were appetizers and desserts.  

Best of all, there was a spirit of unity.  So much work went in to making it good for the kids, and we had fun in it all.  The clean up was a beautiful thing too, with everyone pitching in, it got done in record time.

Then home...Paul stayed here, he isn't feeling well.  I'm not so much either, but I think I'm really on the mend.  None of the kids or grandkids came to visit this afternoon, so we had a relaxing one.  I made bacon and eggs for Camille and I, then drove Charlotte Claire to a friend's house, so she could study her Norwegian.  Jon is here wrapping presents, Paul is watching football with the volume down, just how we like it, and Camille is here too.   Sonja is at work.

I am not finished with my shopping, although this year it's much leaner.  I am just not getting piles of gifts for anyone.  One gift each for the grandkids, and one or two things for the older kids and spouses.  A few more things for the kids who live here.  I have to get my head in the game, figure out what to get for the ones I haven't gotten anything for, and get it done.  I've wrapped most of what I've bought, and it looks meager.  

I know, I know, it's not all about the gifts.  We're having the kids all over on Christmas Eve:  playing some games, and having good food.  I'm making a big pot of homemade meatballs and hot sausage, in sauce, and Emily is making some sort of curry dish, so far.  On Christmas Day, we'll probably have charcuterie type snacks....and cut out cookies.  I'll make another batch of those, and some fudge.  

It's not easy to stay away from sugar, but I'm trying.  I didn't have any desserts today, just one Hershey kiss tonight after dinner, which was bacon and eggs, Ezekiel toast, and one no sugar Greek yogurt with sugar free whipped cream and fresh raspberries.  

I can go for days and behave, but I tell you, have some chocolate and it gets in your head, you just want more.  For me, it works better to avoid it like the plague.  Maybe I'll make some sugar free peanut butter cookies with almond flour, and freeze them so I'll have them available if I get to wanting something.  

You know what I miss?  Sunshine.  It peeked out the other day, and it was glorious.  I crave it, long for it, want to feel it on my skin.  I feel all pasty and pale, like I've been living in sweatpants and sweaters forever.  It gets dark here by 4:30, which I kind of love, it's cozy and cuddly, but:  those June nights when the sun sets near nine, ahh.  It's always greener, that grass.  

Each day is good enough, more than good, when you're thankful for it, and for all it contains.  

Oh and the days pass, still I don't press "publish".  I get sidelined and distracted, and live life, I guess.  This fine morning, ahh, the pool.  It felt fantastic, right from the first few steps down the ramp.  The showers afterward were nice and hot, then it was time to go out into the cold wind, and go shopping with Sonja and Camille.  We needed bread, coffee, yogurt...I got a few Christmas gifts, a few stocking stuffers. My hip has been acting up again, but not as bad as it was before.  It's stressful though because you never know which step is going to cause the pain.  But, it keeps me humble.  

When we got home, we got out the food saver sealer, and bagged up a salted and peppered chuck roast, and put it in the sous vide for 24 hours, at 138 degrees.  The water will stay that temp, and the meat will tenderize and come out medium.  I'll cool it off when it's done, then blacken each side in the frying pan, and oh dear...it should be good, tastes like prime rib.  We'll have some baked potatoes with it, because Char has been asking for them.  

There is gingerbread cookie dough all ready to be mixed up, the dry ingredients all measured out, and the butter just softening...I'll put it together before bed, refrigerate it, and roll them out tomorrow.  I have a brunch on Wednesday, and one on Friday.   :)

I'm having some Sugar Cookie Sleighride tea, and relaxing.  The tree lights are twinkling, and Charlotte is doing homework on The French Revolution...."fun fact, Mom, they killed 24 people a day."  Fun?  

4,350 steps today, I know, not half of what some of you put in, but enough for me.  The day isn't even over yet.  But it does feel nice to put the feet up.  Whatever sickness I had, Paul had worse.  Either that or he possibly is a bit more dramatic than me, just maybe.  Maybe he's just a few days behind me, or maybe he really did have it much worse.  He's coming around now and doing better, but yesterday he was on the couch, and he's never on the couch...well, for one or two episodes of something, but he's not a typical potato.   I'm feeling much better now, but not 100%.  But then, I can't actually remember when I felt 100% ha...:)

Ah well...I'm done writing...not sure what my blogging issue is lately, but I do have a foggy idea...bye for now...


4 comments:

Kristi said...

I hear you. I've decided that I can't do moderation. One bite of something and it is like a drug and I need more. Better not to have it at all. My doctor had me go down to 20 carbs or less a day. I have been doing that since July and it has really worked. Before I was eating about 1100 calories and still gaining which was making me crazy. It was rough but after I got the carbs out of my system, it was much easier.

Mari said...

I haven't done much in the way of Christmas baking, I need to get going!
Sorry about the sickness at your house, I hope Paul is better soon and no one else gets it!

16 blessings'mom said...

Kristi, that's awesome that your dr. suggested that. I will never give up trying to figure out my issues. I don't seem to lose weight no matter what I do, but I'd rather stay the same than gain, so I'll keep away from sugar and carbs as much as I can, as well as do intermittent fasting. I usually eat only dinner.
Mari, we don't have enough kids here to eat it, so I have to hold myself back. Yes, the grandkids will eat some, but...I made gingerbread cookies yesterday, and made the mistake of tasting one...oh dear.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della,

That’s a lot of baking! Wow!

I’m sorry Paul is under the weather ……… you too!! Not a good time to get sick. I hope you both feel better soon. 🥰

I think I’m done gift shopping. I don’t have heaps to buy, but enough for my small family. I bought myself a lovely purple top/ blouse thing for Christmas, well to wear Christmas Day. It’s plain and long to wear with slim pants. Sort of leggings, but not leggings if you know what I mean. I bought a shawl/scarf with different shades of purple and mauve and a bit of gold thread through it to wrap around myself as I always cold! Really pretty and all on sale!! 60% off!!

We are having the mildest weather here and it’s looking like a brown Christmas………….😔 but good for travel.

Better get dinner going!!

Have a lovely evening.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦