summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

ho ho ho!

 

There's snow snow snow!






A green Christmas is forecast, but we'll enjoy the snow today.  I have no plans to go anywhere until Activity Club later.  I've been puttering around, vacuuming, laundry, dishes...I wrapped most of the presents last night, but I think I lost a few.  Sometimes I hide things so well, I can't find them.  Now I can't remember if a few of the things I got for the grandkids are hidden, or already wrapped.  I usually check off things as I wrap them, but I didn't this year.  I do check my list and check it twice when I'm wrapping to make sure I'm giving it to the right person.  

Last evening I ordered some things for Abigail for Christmas, as she's not coming home.  She says I don't understand accounting, and I don't, she has to work on the 26th.  Month end, year end, rear end.  sorry.  I'm still a 12 year old boy, deep inside.  What do you identify as?

1.  A slob

2.  A Cookie Monster

3.  A coffee snob, don't give me no Keurig

4.  Ridiculously silly 

5.  A picky toddler with super basic eating preferences (no ketchup, mustard, mayo, sour cream, seafood...)

Not to change the topic, but honestly, if I had the opportunity to be a boy when I was like 11....

Anyway.  I got something fun for Emily yesterday, and you cannot tell me that nice gifts don't scream I love you and I want you to know you matter to me.  Something about showering the younger kids with presents and getting just one thing for the older ones makes me think that they think I don't care so much about them anymore.  

I ordered something for Molly and Josh this morning, so it looks like they might have to wait until December 29th to see how much I care.

We're trying to get our menus together for Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day...so far, we're having a nice big pot of homemade meatballs in sauce, mozzarella sticks, and some of Emily's curry on Christmas Eve, and of course fudge.  Christmas Day:  cinnamon rolls, orange juice, coffee...then pizza rolls, chips and dips, veggies, ect., then dinner:  ham, applesauce, mashies, a veggie.  

It's going to be a different kind of Christmas time...the day after Christmas, Jonathan, Char, and Camille are leaving to go to Norway for the week.  (Emily, Mariel, and Kathryn are going too).  Adrian is also going, so Margaret will stay here for a few days with the kids.  Since Kathryn is going, Darius will be home with his three by himself, so I might go visit there and have him over too.  Sonja will be here, as she has to work, she's too new to get that kind of time off.

I have the butter softening for more cut out cookies...my sister and I are going to visit our aunt on Thursday, and I want to bring her some cookies...

Here is the thing.  Everything is fine, and in perfect accordance with how God wants things to go, but...it's hard for my soul, hard for my heart, and it is written that as well as a time for laughter, there is a time for tears, right?   Cheryl, my sister, my only sister...her cancer is back.  This is a huge trial, weighed and measured and sent by a loving Father, but not without suffering and pain.  

Day after day, week after week, since I've found out about this, I sit here and I write and I feel like I'm sugar coating the days, frosting over it all so nicely.  So I had to tell you all, so you can pray for her.  She's fighting that good fight of faith, she's battling to be at rest, and to live each day without worrying about tomorrow, as Jesus strongly exhorted us to do.  "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Rom. 8:18)

I am reminded as I sit here in my comfy chair, why God sent His son here to earth, to make a way for us to follow, and it's hopeful and good and so totally worth following Him.   We can truly have peace here on earth as we prepare for eternity.  

Have a really good day, think pure thoughts and forgive, and be happy.  :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your sister. I will pray for her. I don't think it is sugar coating things to talk about other stuff, because we all are dealing with trials we might not bring into conversation. I have trouble staying positive during this season, especially when I am struggling. So I understand! Thank you for the verse!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I know it’s hard for all of you. So many things are out of our control but God, He knows…He knows just how we feel, the worry etc and these things are in His control.

It’s does sound like a different Christmas by you. I am not a lover of change, but that doesn’t stop it from happening, Lol. Our Christmas is different also. The oldest of the three still home is in Costa Rica visiting her boyfriend and his family. Sigh! I am happy for them to able to be together but I miss her. She is having a great time and already abs been to their church dinner with them., and last night experienced her first earthquake. Why do they tell me those things, lol. We will celebrate here after she comes home in January. My older kids will be here Christmas Eve and Christmas Day just the 4 of us. But, we will have a wonderful day as we love hanging out together. Last year was strange also as we had to travel on Christmas to take our daughter to airport in Pa. She was heading to Vietnam on a mission trip. So I guess strange is becoming our new tradition. Lol

Have a wonderful day!
Judy

Jan said...

I'm so sorry your sister's cancer has returned. I think that sometimes, when we write our blogs, we try to write about the good things and happy times rather than talk about everything that's actually going on in our lives-I know I do. I think as the years pass, our lives become more bittersweet. But I think we also come to understand more about God and rely more on His promises for our lives. We know that someday, the bitter will be gone and we will have all of the sweetness of Heaven. I'll be praying for your sister and for you and your family.

Michelle in FL said...

I just love reading about your family. Your house looks so cozy in the snow pictures from the other day. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. Sending up healing prayers for your sister.

~Michelle in Florida

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, you are so right, it's not always something we're talking about, but we do all have trials. God bless you in whatever you're going through, one day at a time. :)
Judy, your kids are going everywhere! Earthquake! Glad she's okay, phew. It's hard when they grow up and leave, but when they choose good things, it's hard to complain.
Jan, yes, we do concentrate on the good things. Bittersweet is the right word, and those who trust in Him won't be put to shame, it's a good reminder, thank you for prayers.
Michelle, the house is so cozy in the snow. Thank you for prayers.

Terri D said...

Oh, heck. I'm so sorry for the news about Cheryl. Your dear sister will be in my prayers. So many kiddos off to Norway!! What a great trip that will be for them. It sounds like Christmas food is settled. Sounds delicious!! Merry Christmas!!

Joybells said...

Della, I'm so sorry to hear about Cheryl. I will pray! And I have to say, I chuckled at your description of the presents. I hope they are wrapped and under the tree instead of hidden too well! Boy, it gets crazy sometimes with the gifts! We are having a different Christmas too; my sister and my nephew are both making lightning trips home (from New York and from Germany!) to be with us here in Oregon at Christmas, so we've rearranged our usual quieter plans to prioritize the big, loud family gatherings. :D It will be a feast, for sure. One of the things I'm looking forward to most is having some friends over on the 28th for an evening of singing Christmas carols. Ok, got to run, my Christmas shopping isn't done! Have a wonderful day!

Joy from Salem

Marilyn said...

Dear Della………I am so sad to hear Cheryl isn’t well. I know how close you girls are. I will pray for her too
and for you.

My goodness! Three off to Norway, but you will be kept busy with Margaret and her little family. Always busy!

It’s my big birthday today and was just reading all the lovely cards I’ve received……..all the really lovely messages in them. I feel so blessed, I really do. My hubby is taking me out for supper tonight so I’m looking forward to that. Maybe we’ll go to the little Colombian coffee place this afternoon. They are from Columbia and he imports the beans and roasts them himself. Soooooooooo good!

You have a lovely day Della 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Betty said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister I will keep her in my prayers.

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, thank you. And yes, those three packing up and leaving the day after Christmas, it'll be different around here!
Joy, I did find the one thing I was looking for today, and got it wrapped. Phew. I'm glad your sister is making it home, finally! :)
Marilyn, thank you. Happy Birthday to you!!!! The coffee place sounds excellent, mmm.
Betty, thank you.