summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 25, 2023

we wish you a merry Christmas...

 14 of the kids were here either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, or both.  (Aaron is in Phoenix, and Abigail in Delaware).  Emily brought Paul's trumpet back, Margaret tried it...Tenny was intrigued.


Wulf and Tennyson wanted turns after Emily...
Suzanne with baby Maeve
Jonathan, and Grant
Suzanne and Evelyn
Camille, Margaret, and Sam (with Maeve)
Suri
Suzanne, Charlotte Claire, Sonja, Camille, Margaret...
Sonja, Char, Cam, Evelyn
Some grandchildren with Miss Char...they played a game where they had to close their eyes and guess the candies, from Hot Tamales to Junior Mints...they loved it.

Elise with her Holiday Barbie...I got four of them at the thrift store, brand new in the boxes, for four of the granddaughters...they loved them.  It was actually an item on Anya's Christmas list, which I didn't know.
Lydia, Anya, Elise
Molly in yellow, little Opheila behind Lydia, Anya, Elise
Achilles, Evelyn, Sonja holding Rhys, Char, Cam...singing Christmas songs.
With Grace too (Sam's wife)
Benjamin holding Declan
Ophelia
Ashley with Declan
Grandchildren, Emily in the background
Cousin Anya hugging Ophelia
Cam with Maeve, Molly with Denzel
Aunt Evelyn and the game, and Paul
Camille with Maeve
Mariel, Sam with Denzel, Kathryn
Jonny with Ruth and Suri
Evelyn with Jamie, Kathryn with Denzel:  measuring the babies
Another game with Aunt Evelyn, blindfolded bow scooping.

Achilles, Grace in the back with Maeve, Cam with Jamie, Mariel with Blythe, Kathryn standing
Sonja playing Jenga with Tennyson
Blythe...
And phew...just like that, wow, it's over.  I had meant to stay home Saturday.  I really meant to.  I made cookie dough because we needed more gingerbread cookies.  But, my brother had texted and asked if anyone wanted to go out to lunch with Aunt Barb, whom I had just gone out to lunch with a few days before.  But, I decided to go, got a chance to see my older brother Bob, and my younger brother Casey.  It was time well spent.  We went to Cracker Barrel, it was meh.  Not too shabby, but nothing to write home about.

Home, and time to get those cookies baked.  Suzanne came for a visit, we had ribs.  I made them in the Instant pot because I was baking cookies.  26 minutes, I think, rubbed with salt and pepper, doused with vinegar and brown sugar, with some bbq sauce too.  I cooked two racks, cut in half, standing up, with the rack in the bottom.  Then, ten minutes or so in the oven on broil, with extra sauce...oh yum.

Yesterday, we frosted those cookies, made meatballs, got them into the crockpot with sauce, and Paul made venison chili.  I made a five pound batch of fudge, and we cleaned up the house.  We had charcuterie, we had chicken biryani, mozzarella sticks, air fried cheese curds, cookies, and all sorts of snacks.

When the families went home, we settled in for our Secret Santa, Jonathan got me, a new bookcase!  We stayed up too late and played some funny games, and laughed our heads off.  This morning came too quickly.  Evelyn spent the night, and we had a quiet Christmas morning.  I got an Always Pan, a really nice frying/sauteeing/oven-safe pan, from Sonja and Abigail.  I also got a really nice Aura picture frame that Bluetooths pics from your camera roll, and displays them...you can change the settings from one minute, to ten minute intervals, load tons of pics on it...it's a nice picture frame too...from Evelyn.  I got new spatulas, a book, a mug tree from Hearth and Hand, and some new mugs.  

Jon got a new espresso machine, so that was fun...Paul got a soda stream to make our own seltzer.  The girls got clothes, and a new desk chair for Camille, a laptop desk for Char, along with a huge suitcase and a matching carryon.  They got hair things and socks and mittens and hats and scarves and and and.  They're all set to leave for Norway in the morning.  They packed today, weighed the checked bag, and got it under fifty pounds.  They have their passports, and a note that says they can travel with Emily and Mariel (just the two girls, Jon is 19). Sonja isn't going, she has to work.

Margaret will be staying here with the two boys, so I had better get to bed and get some sleep.  It was a busy day.  Food and messes and cleaning up, but so absolutely nice, loved it all.  Emily, Benjamin and Ashley with Anya, Elise, Declan, Mariel, Joseph and Bethany, Molly and Josh with Lydia, Ophelia, Denzel, Sam and Grace with Grant, Ruth, Maeve, Margaret and Adrian with Wulf, Tennyson, Blythe, Kathryn and Darius with Achilles, Rhys, Jamison, Evelyn, Suzanne and Zech, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille...with Paul and I...38.  And....good night.

10 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful Christmas!!!! Wishing you a happy New Year!

Marilyn said...

Hi there Della!

It really sounds like a magical day!! The pictures are just wonderful. I’m so glad you had such a lovely time with so many family members.

We had a great time too and the best present of all was that my grandson made a surprise visit from Victoria!! His dad knew but none of the rest of us did. I couldn’t stop hugging him. We were at my daughter’s for Christmas dinner and we played a board game after and it was great fun!!

Enjoy your day! 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Joybells said...

How fun to see your Christmas pictures, Della! All those sweet children, and lots of good aunties and uncles to cuddle and spoil them. Every child should be so lucky. :) Mine got spoiled too; they have quality aunts and uncles on both sides. :) Best wishes for a safe trip for your young people!

Joy from Salem

Anonymous said...

I’ve been reading and enjoying your blog from almost its beginning. I think you put the wrong granddaughter’s name with Grant’s family. Maybe not, so many people to keep track of…what a wonderful conundrum!

Terri D said...

I loved this post and all the photos. I was trying to imagine the sounds, Della. Laughter, talking, little ones wanting attention... awesomeness!! Thanks for sharing!

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, thank you! Happy New Year!
Marilyn, so glad you were surprised for your grandson's visit, what fun. :)
Joy, those good aunts and uncles are just golden. :).
Anonymous: you ae absolutely right, I went and changed it, ha. Thank you! :)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a great few days! I could not imagine having a house that full. We make ribs the same way and they are oh so good!

16 blessings'mom said...

Jim & Barb, it can be a little crazy sometimes, but overall, it's amazing. The ribs, I was surprised how good they were! I tend to be almost afraid of the instant pot, ha, but it's not so bad when you get more used to it.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am finally sitting down to get around and visit my friends here! I felt so much joy reading your post today, my friend! I simply adore your family! It gives me hope for the future! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog when you I didn’t have any grandchildren. I love your post and your blog. All your grandchildren what a blessing. Happy new year! From Orlando Darla