summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

solar eclipse hype...

 ...oh, the traveling and planning and excitement!  The whole thing has been at the very edge of my interest level, chalking it up as blah blah blah. Then I realized:  we are right in that path of totality.  It's going to get dark out in the middle of the day, and we don't have to drive, fly, or book a hotel to see it.  We can watch it from our deck!  The present forecast is for sixty degrees and sunny on Monday.  

I realized that I shouldn't just take it for granted, when so many people would love to experience it.  

This has been a good day.  I went to the pool, Camille has been going with me but going to the gym to work out.  Home, but not for long!  Kathryn needed a few things from Walmart, so I went along too.  The Easter candy was half off, but the good stuff was mostly gone.  When my kids were little, I remember letting them get chocolate bunnies and such, but I just got little containers of mini M&M's for Achilles and Rhys.  

My afternoon plans went from busy and crazy to...quiet.  The grandkids were supposed to come over, but for different reasons didn't.  There is snow forecast, and it's windy and rainy.  It was a cozy day to stay in and putter around.  I cleaned out a cupboard and organized some things, then made really nice burgers for dinner. 

I also talked to my sister on the phone for a bit, she's doing well, considering.  She's tired, but, she's going on a huge trip soon!  Next week, Australia for three weeks!!  For reals!  She's going, with her husband, to visit their daughter Claire and her husband, and their five small children.  What I'm asking is for all of you to pray for her, that she has extra blessings over her as she travels, that she's strong and healthy and things go well.  It's hard to have family all the way on the other side of the world, but thank the Lord for FaceTime and internet and social media.  I maintain it can be used for the good.:)

Today I was thinking about the BIG BIG BIG bunny.  When Sam was four, as Easter approached, he asked for Grandfather Rabbit, the biggest chocolate bunny in Ames.  He didn't just ask once, his whole mantra was big, big, big, I want the big big big bunny!, for days.  So, I got it for him.  It was three or four times bigger than any other chocolate rabbit in any other basket, but I never heard any of the other kids say anything about it.  I just remember them being excited for Sam.  


The poor kids in a big family, growing up having to share things.  I'll say this: they all seem to know not to take too much of something, they have learned to be conscious of making sure there is enough for everyone.  They seem to have learned to be happy for each other's good fortune, and they really do nice things for each other.  

Jon is making smash burgers.  I made dinner hours ago, but he likes to work out before he eats.  He decided to make a grilled cheese/cheeseburger. He's also making a fried egg?  It smells amazing, and I'm not even hungry.  I had my burgers in corn tortillas with sautéed tomatoes and red onions, a dash of Frank's Hot sauce, and shredded cabbage and lettuce.  My dessert was some fresh sliced strawberries with sugar free greek yogurt and sugar free whipped cream, so yummy.

Ah well...I'm talking to Jon, which is nice, it's a rare night he's here...the kitties like me tonight...

Old Kitty, aka Kettler...once Suzanne was younger, and had to call the vet for her, and was asked what color she is...Suze said trash colored.  So we sometimes call her the Trash Colored Cat.  

Old Kitty, me, Orange Guy.  See my sunburn?  It's starting to peel...lovely.  Oh well, have a really good evening!  


4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! I’m so glad your sister is able to go to Australia to visit her family! How exciting. It’s such a long flight……that’s the worst part, but then you get there and forget about that and just have a lovely visit. Where does her daughter live? I’m from Sydney and I’m familiar with places in that area although it has changed DRAMATICALLY since I left almost 60 years ago. I hope they have an amazing visit 🥰

We won’t see the. Eclipse here. Maybe 20% or less…..more like 10-15%.

I love the story about the BIG BIG BIG bunny. You have such a lovely family ❤️ Peeling after a burn is not pretty is it 😬 It gets itchy too. I’m much more careful these days as I have a few skin issues from excessive suntanning when I was younger.

Have a wonderful day Della 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

It’s Martha but I’m on my phone and it’s not letting me sign in so you can find me at justseven.blogsop.com if you so desire.

I too was blah, blah blaring the eclipse until I read the Democratic and Chronicle article about the Webster teacher who nearly 50 years ago told his Earth Science class that they were going to reunite for this very event… My interest was suddenly piqued. LOL! I was in that class of students!

Anonymous said...

I'm in an area of totality too! I go back and forth on the whole thing - I want to see it, but I don't want anything bad to happen. Partly cloudy forecast, we'll see!
Valerie in Ohio

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I'll have to ask her, I'm assuming around Sydney. It's a big trip for her, as she's so tired these days, but it'll be so nice for her to go and soak in those grandchildren, with their adorable Aussie accents. Martha, that is SO COOL, I'm excited for you too, hope to hear all about it.
Valerie, two of my boys (Sam and Jonny), and a son in law and a few friends are in Ohio for the weekend. I told them they're crazy, as they're driving back on Sunday, when lots of people are supposedly flocking there to see the eclipse, but they didn't seem to mind. They're going there to visit some friends, and the eclipse wasn't even on their radar. I worry about the kids, if they don't have eye protection. I have a few small grandchildren who won't be too compliant about putting those little glasses on...