summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, April 28, 2024

there's always a glitch...or a hitch...

 

Sometimes there's a glitch because there isn't a hitch.  We aren't rich, but to end up in a ditch, because of not the right hitch...would be a...never mind.  No swearing on the blog.  

The weight distribution hitch:  it's a whole can of worms, a deep Reddit hole, a camper towing controversy.  It's a light camper, so it's not technically necessary, but there are those who have had horrible experiences with swaying and those who have witnessed accidents.  They come in different sizes and ratings and if you have them installed by the dealer, oh dear, oh my.  

I never thought of this part, just thought I'd pay for the camper, get a receipt, go to motor vehicles downtown, pay taxes and get it registered, and voila, we were ready to camp.  But.  The truck has a hitch, but is it the right sized hitch?  probably not.  Because what fun would that be?

I supposed we'll find out tomorrow when we go to pick it up...this is the camper I've decided on, iffy floors and all...because it's one foot bigger, a few inches wider, more sleeping space, still lightweight.  I offered a thousand less, which believe me, is outside of my comfort zone, he counter offered four hundred more, so it was a price I was happy with...

Yesterday was a nice day with the older kids coming over to do some yard work...we didn't get all done, it did start to pour after about four hours of work.  (I lasted three hours...three hours of moving wood and hacking down vines, raking...) 

Rhys...
Wulf, Rhys, Achilles
Wulf
Tennyson
Brownies with Camille's peanut butter buttercream...no, I did not have one.
Char, Emily, Paul...
Char, Margaret, Em, Evelyn
Camille, and me...

Kathryn was helping but also taking care of the babies...at one point, Jamison was in his stroller almost asleep in the yard, and Blythe was in her stroller almost asleep...it started to rain...Em and Kathryn carried Jamie up the front steps into the foyer, and Kathryn rocked him to sleep...he slept there for quite a while...they brought Blythe up the deck steps into the kitchen, I turned on the stove fan, pushed her back and forth until she fell asleep...ahh, sleeping babies.  The other kids played with play dough, and ran around, but quietly.  

Kathryn and I grilled burgers and hot dogs.  I made salt potatoes, and put out oranges, strawberries, cotton candy grapes, and blackberries, and some chips.  It was raining out while we grilled, but it didn't flat out pour until later.  Such a cozy afternoon, a dreary day but coffee and kids and older kids, my favorite.

Ah well...another busy day today, then hopefully getting the camper tomorrow....we'll see!  Have a nice Sunday!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Aww no brownie? They sure like good, smiles. Wishing you a beautiful week, Della.

Terri D said...

That brownie with the icing looks delicious! What a great workday you got in with so much help!! Fingers crossed for your camper purchase and figuring out the hitch!! Do please keep us posted!!

Kara said...

We wound up buying an inTech trailer, but did like those hybrid JayFeathers. They're a good mix of solid sides and tip-outs. We don't have a weight distribution hitch. Our trailer weighs less than 5K fully loaded, and the truck we drive (Nissan Titan) barely feels it. We had a smaller truck, but it was not good at towing. Those taller, but single axle trailers do feel like you're towing a wind sail at times.

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, I know they were good, I just can't....not that I don't eat an ice cream cone sometimes, but for the most part...:). Terri, thank you!
Kara, that sounds like a really nice camper! And yes, the wind sail thing...we don't technically need the weight distribution hitch, but it does sway around a lot! Not fun!