summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 15, 2009

aah, saturday...a day off...ha

This morning I tried to sneak out before Camille got up...but the bathroom door squeaked, and she was awake and chattering and holding her arms up. Seems heartless to say, "Rats!", but rats anyway.

Sonja K. was getting up, and we were soon joined by Jonathan. We let Rosie out of her cage, took her outside, and gave her food and water, and lots of attention. We tidied up the deck quick, then swept up the kitchen floor, and started the coffee. I let Camille push the button of the coffee grinder. Making coffee is time consuming these days, as the coffeemaker is broken. We have to boil the water in the kettle, then pour it little by little into the filter that rests on the top of the pot. We then made some sausage, toast, and scrambled eggs with green peppers and cheese. I fed seven of the kids while the older ones slept in and daddy went to the hardware store. When he got back, I helped him install a new outside spigot. Then I cleaned up the yard a bit as he is going to mow. I am taking a little break, and the girls are supposed to be picking up their toys and house-stuff from the yard. ha. They are fighting about it. Kathryn maintains she already did her share, and Sonja just came in with some stuff. Suzanne is busy making a house for her Webkin kitty out of a giant Lucky Charms box.....

It is extremely warm today. We are having this warm sunny weather that is just amazing, with no chance of rain. High eighties or maybe 90, a bit humid. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the nineties with humidity. I am SO thankful we have the pool filled and running. I keep telling the kids as soon as the yard is picked up, I will take them for a swim.

We are thinking of going to the beach this afternoon, cooking some hot dogs and coneys, and marshmallows, and watching the sunset. Daddy hasn't gone to the beach yet this year. It is nice to do things a family sometimes. It's good I am adventurous though, or these kids wouldn't go very many places.

I went on a small shopping excursion yesterday with Mali and Evelyn. We went to ToysRUs, which was rather disapointing. That store could be so much better! I passed up the temptation of getting a few new Fisher-Price dollhouse sets, it was hard. I love toys. Especially dollhouse stuff. I always buy the new stuff they put out, and it was hard not to ....but I am the one who likes it the most, and we do not NEED it. I got a few baby outfits for my brother's son and his wife who are having a baby. We also got two rafts for the pool, two boxes of 64count crayons (fun!), and some finger paints.

We the went to the dreaded Target and got what I hope is the end of the school supplies. Also some sneakers and and shoes for Evelyn, and a nice leather school bag that was 75%off....as were the shoes and sneakers, of course. Then on to Price Chopper for bread and milk and cheese and bananas and peppers and bakery sourdough bread ($1!) and angus london broil ($1.99 lb), 30 ears of corn, orange juice, peanutbutter........and a new patio set! I have been wanting one since our old table died a terrible death in a windstorm a few years back. I have looked and waited and watched for bargains. This set has a round table with an umbrella and 5 chairs. Not enough, but at least a place to put the food, and the kids have their small table, and we have lots of other chairs. It was $99, on clearance 75% off. I was SO glad it fit in the van.

We had the best dinner last night: bacon and tomato on sourdough bread and sweet corn. And ice water. It was just the best summer dinner. At 8:00. I was so hot from shopping in the drenching hot weather in the hot van that has no A/C in a hot jean skirt....my feet were even hot...no kidding, my Birkenstocks were slippery because my feet were sweating. Sorry. Anyway, by the time we got home and put stuff away, I NEEDED to go swimming. I took all the kids in while Mirielle started dinner....then we peeled corn in our bathing suits, and I put the new table together....it was worth a late dinner.

Now they are bugging me because I promised swimming...poor me, eh?

1 comment:

AUTISMOMMA said...

I had to laugh because we had the same dinner last night as your family. Well, except ours was BLT's on our gluten free bread we have to eat but they were still awesome, nonetheless!

Every time I read one of your posts, I am envious about all the pool time you all are getting in.....even if the pool did get set up late in the summer. We do not have a pool ourselves and almost all the local pools are closed already because - I am certain YOU will appreciate the lameness (is that a word?) of the reasoning as much as I do - school has already begun! Yes, because the children around here have already started school! If it's not bad enough that school is already in session, they now have one less thing (swimming) they can do after school or on weekends.

Lame, lame, lame!