summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, August 30, 2009

but officer, I have never been pulled over before...

Alas, I can never say that again..I got pulled over today. Not one of those seatbelt checks, either. The real flashing-lights-pull-over by a genuine New York State trooper. I was on my way to pick up the new used playhouse, and I am not so used to driving the truck. My seat was not adjusted properly, so I had pulled off the road to fix it, and pulled back on....and it still just wasn't right...so the officer saw this, and must've thought I was drinking or something. As he approached the truck, I said, "I have never been pulled over before, sir!" Oh, I am such an idiot. Anyway, I didn't get a ticket or anything....I think part of the reason he pulled me over was there were three little girls in the back seat, Kathryn, 11, Evelyn, 10, and Suzanne, 8......and when I mentioned there was a cop behind us, they all turned around and probably waved, too. The officer looked right in at them....he probably wondered if they were flagging him down or something...he didn't even call in my license, he just let me go....

So we got lost, even though Ben has a GPS in the truck....neither Mirielle or I could figure it out....after we picked up the house, we went to this obscure little hole-in-the-wall ice cream place. It was low-ceilinged and orange walled and seemed like it was a thousand miles in the middle of nowhere. The icecream was good and the fries were fine. Then we stopped at the grocery store, we cannot go all that way without stopping there.....our favorite find: 10packs of instant oatmeal, like apple-cinnamon or oatmeal raisin, for $1 a box. We put 12 in the cart.

Some of the kids were invited to a going-back-to-school gathering/party at my niece's house, so we only had Paul and I here for dinner with Benjamin, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. It was pretty relaxing, and wow, only having to cook one pound of bacon is pretty easy. We had BLTs with turkey and chicken. And sliced apples. Very simple. Oh, and they were still hungry, so they started begging for the instant oatmeal....I was nice and made 6 bowls of it. Ben ate three packets. I should have bought more than 12 boxes....

I have baby-itis. Again. I read a lovely blog today, time didn't permit going back too very far, but this lucky mom has two boys, two very beautiful little adopted girls, and is expecting another.....the newborn she just adopted is so absolutely beautiful....can arms really ache for a baby? 'Çause mine do. If anyone has one they want to give me....oh that sounds terrible. (But I still will take it)

6 comments:

Tereza said...

I got pulled over once and the officer ended up giving the kids free coupons to get a slurpy:):):)

Care to share the blog you found?

Janis said...

Glad everything went ok with the officer-you had me wondering with your title! :-)

Mike and Katie said...

sure! link away! thanks for the kind words! now i'm going to read about your run-in with the law.:)

holly said...

I know how you feel about the baby thing. Everytime I would get my period, I would ache for a baby...even though I was scared to death to have another one. I never understand people who say they are "done" Like, how do they get there?? i will never be there.

Charlie said...

I call it "baby fever" and I have a horrible case of it. Luckily I have baby access At work so I can appease the feelings occaionally.

Robin said...

So scary to get pulled over! Glad you got away fine. Cute about your daughters waving;)