summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, August 21, 2009

day four for mousies...

and who was up bright and early, spending a half an hour feeding them? Yeah, maybe I am stupid....a few people have come right out and told me so....but I cannot just let them die, can I? The girls bright and happy faces each morning when they find out they are still alive are worth a million bucks. Not that there haven't been times when they have gotten sick of taking care of them...but it is neat, because even Margaret, who has been very vocal about the "grossness" of the mice, has heated up the ricebag and placed it next to their box several times to keep them warm. And Kathryn, who hated them is now helping take care of them. It's pretty funny, really, that they keep living.

Well, yesterday I chose the kids who could go with me: Mali and Aaron, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, and Sonja. We had to make a few stops in a close-by town for Aaron to get some job applications, and while he was in one store, I checked my wallet to make sure I had my credit card. I don't know why I did, I just did. And I didn't have it. One of the girls in the back seat said, "Oh yeah, Mommy, Camille had your purse yesterday. I put your BJ's card back, but I didn't see your credit card..." thank you dear. We called home and had Margaret search, but decided just to go to Paul's work and get his card. Of course when I looked in my purse last night, there it was, in the wrong place, Camille must've been playing with it....I am glad I didn't have to cancel it......(that is why I have only ONE credit card)......we stopped for 3 orders of take-out Chinese, and shared it. Then we went to get the new tire at the BORING goodyear store. But icy cold and air-conditioned.....we took a walk up the block and got some candy at RiteAid, and a water and some drinks for the kids....(Aaron and Mali were bad in there...they got a stack of musical birthday cards and opened them all at the same time...one of them also had a can of flarp...or something...I didn't ask, I just got away from the two of them as soon as possible) Then back to the icy cold BORING tire place and sat in the waiting area. I had a fantastic time. The kids watched "Aurthur", and I read magazines and had a few Riesens. (chocolate covered caramels, wickedly good).A couple of the kids got into the complimentary fresh coffee (cremora, yuck), but when I'm paying $155 for one tire, oh well....enjoy it, kids........It was actually too cold in there. After all these warm muggy days with no a/c, it felt pretty nice.....what a life, to actually enjoy waiting for a tire to be put on.....

Then we went to Walmart. We needed more paint rollers, some plastic wrap, and dishwasher soap. The girls found some cute skorts for $5, so i let them each get one for school.

It is always nice to get home and have the ones who stayed home be so happy to see me. Plus, they are hopeful that I got them something, which I didn't. But there were leftover juiceboxes, which we never have, so they get to have one today. Very exciting, I guess.

Also, today is EVELYN JOY'S 10th BIRTHDAY!!!....Ah, ten years ago today....don't tell her, but I am drawing a blank. I cannot remember. I know I named her after a very very special friend who was an English lady who grew up in India....she went by the name Joy, but she was Evelyn Joy, and she was about 80 years older than our Evelyn. But she was young at heart, and very sweet and kind. She passed away three years ago.....The details of my Evelyn's birth....I will remember them later.....I just need to think....

So, we are having a big birthday party tonight. 4 little girls are coming over to spend the night, and have breakfast and lunch with us tomorrow. These four little girls don't always get along together, much drama, so it will be interesting. I thought it would be better to invite them all anyways, and keep an eye on it, than leave one out......we are celebrating Kathryn's birthday, too, since she never had a party in March. I do have a gift for Evelyn, but I should probably look in the closet for something for Kathryn.

We don't get to go to the amusement park again after all. Rats. The cheap tickets were all sold out. The kids were bummed out about it, but I don't regret telling them about the possibility of going because they had several fun days dreaming about it. Now we are thinking of going to the New York State Fair. I haven't taken the whole family for several years now....just a few of the kids...the older kids aren't too interested...and the younger kids tend to get disapointed there...it can be hot and dusty and tiring...and it is EXPENSIVE! The rides are like $4 bucks apiece. Multiply that, and one ride would buy a child a new wardrobe, at least how I shop. So if we go, no rides. Just looking around at the displays and having the 25cent chocolate milk. So we are thinking about it. If the older ones decide they will go along and help make it fun for the younger ones, I'll take them.

Sonja and I are the only ones up, and it is nice. I had rye toast with peanutbutter, and am drinking my coffee....ah, life is good....

3 comments:

Martha said...

I'm thinking about going to the State Fair on Sept. 4th when I can get my two in free.

from the website
"- Special days!
Are you a veteran or a senior citizen? On certain days, some groups of people get in free. Seniors age 60 and older pay no admission on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1. Veterans with military ID get in free on Sept. 3. So do Native Americans and students up to age 16 on Sept. 4."

We never do the rides either and one of our favorite attractions, aside from the chocolate milk, is the player piano. Can't leave without taking a turn on that!

little things said...

the comment that you are having to think to remember the details of the birth of your daughter made me feel better...i have trouble remembering when our kids took their first step or when they started teething or what time they were born...endless stuff...& i didn't do so good w/ baby books...by the 3rd kid I didn't get much written..Sigh!!
mum2adozen

cheryl said...

I think I remember that Evelyn had to be held in a certain position when she was tiny.. or she'd let you know.. and she was perfectly adorable. Still is.