summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

cleaning the house day

Tonight Emily is coming home. So today we want to clean the house especially nice and shiny for her. Mirielle got up extra early and so did Benjamin. He just got back from bringing Mali to school, she missed the bus. If he weren't up, I would have just given her the day off.

I have so much to do in the next week or so it isn't funny. No, it is funny. I inventoried my closet a few weeks ago, and put the things in a few large boxes, wrote it all down in a notebook that I have since lost. So I have another notebook that I keep in my tape-scissors-pen bag, and every time I wrap something I write it down next to someone's name. Now I have more stuff that is in bags in Abigail and Ben's rooms, and I a not exactly sure what I am giving to whom. Paul agreed to get Samuel his big gift, so I am off the hook for that. Maybe tonight before the airport I can get a chance to go in my room and wrap some stuff.

Joseph is doing the dishwasher and Mirielle is folding a load of clothes, but I don't feel too guilty for sitting here...ha. It is like role-reversal, "Kids, I will get up and help soon, I promise....just let me finish writing this!"

I got up late again this morning, and I know exactly why this is happening. I have gotten after Samuel lately for not getting up on time. He said it was NOT his fault, and now I know what he means. Since our vacation, I have just not been waking up in the morning. I have lived all these years without an alarm clock, and all of the sudden I just keep sleeping. This morning I woke up ten minutes late, but the kids were all up and moving because dear Mali was going to go second trip and she was helping them. But Jonathan needed a shower, and Suzanne's skirt was too small, then Jon's pants were too big, then the second ones were still damp from the dryer, then Sonja had to find a different coat because hers was in the wash.....anyway, I have more mercy on Sam now. Except he HAS an alarm clock. (I thought of getting him one that projected the time onto the ceiling for Christmas, but decided it would be mean)

I don't like sending my kids to school, but I do have to admit that when I get them all ready and they go out the door, aaah. I feel like I have accomplished something. But then when a nice girl like Kathryn, 11, gets after school detention, a.k.a. "Homework Hall" for only writing one and a half pages in her journal instead of two, even though she caught up in study hall.....I wonder why I even send them. Then when I read all the plans for December 23rd, the last day of school before vacation, I really wonder.....popcorn pajamas movies, board games....they can do that at home! But they do learn some things at school that that I think are important, like how to function in this world. How to deal with things that just ain't fair. For some reason that eludes me, people in this world like RED TAPE and RULES. School is a good introduction to dealing with these things.

Yesterday when we were in the grocery store, Abigail had the car-car cart with Charlotte Claire and Camille in it. (yes, I know how spoiled I am getting with both Abigail and Mirielle going grocery shopping with me, and I LOVE every minute of it!).....anyway, the store intercom came on and said something like, "The bakery has a call on 844".....Charlotte Claire said to Abigail, "Do we have to be quiet if the bakery has a call?"

Well, the guilt is setting in pretty good now, Joseph has finished the dishwasher and is going to sweep and mop, and Mirielle is working in the bathroom....I am ALMOST done here, kids....

No comments: