summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, December 26, 2009

quietness...

I am sitting here in the living room with just Rosie-the-dog, Benjamin, and Paul. Rosie is taking a nap, and the other two are watching basketball. Camille is sleeping. Joseph, Aaron, and Samuel are over at Susan and Thomas and Will's house watching a movie. Emily, Abigail, Mirielle, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Stine went to the library, and to a Christmas Lights display, and to use the last of the free fries coupons from BurgerKing. So it is quiet.

I have to get dinner made for when they come back, but it shouldn't be too hard. I am just going to heat up the jerk chicken and make some olive oil-parmesean-garlic pasta and some broccoli. If Joseph, Aaron, and Sam don't come home for dinner, we will have 16 for dinner, since Stine is here. I am thinking foam plates, since we have some leftover. The kitchen is all cleaned up from the massive food prep and serving last night. Benjamin was a very nice boy last night, cleaning things up. I was pretty impressed when I got up this morning. I ran the dishwasher again and washed up the counters, and it looks good. But I have to go make another mess, I mean another meal.

One of the kids asked me today if I were going shopping. Excuse me? Shopping? Nah. I am not going Day-After-Christmas-Shopping. Not this year. Ouch, I feel like I should never shop again. I only buy things that are reasonable or down right cheap, but still. It adds up. We have had such good things to eat lately, I feel like we should just wait 'til we run out of everything, and then when we DO go shopping, just get really cheap plain food. Is that called saturation? I have been thinking of the proverb 27, v. 7 "A sated soul loathes honey, but to a hungry soul, every bitter thing is sweet." We get spoiled too quickly. For example, when I was growing up, we went shopping every other week when my father got paid. Kielbasa, or polish sausage, was a super favorite for us. My kids are like, "blah"....they are too spoiled. (funny, isn't it, that I managed to spoil 16 kids?) No, they are thankful for things, but pretty picky eaters.

I am thinking of going out to the kitchen and making something nice for dessert tonight. Stine is going back to Norway tomorrow, so maybe I can make her some brownies or something. hmm. That means I have to get up and stop writing in this lovely quiet....

No comments: