summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

wrapped some presents....

I spent some special time with Jonathan last night, we sneaked into my room and wrapped some presents on my big comfy bed. Jon is so funny, he asked each time if he HAD to do those triangle things....and he is such a perfectionist with the tape. Then he joined daddy in the living room for some paper airplane making, while Kathryn and Evelyn joined me.



I was going to take some pictures last night, but the age old question, "Where is my camera?" was answered easily by Benjamin - it was in his room and the batteries were charging. Okay. Good enough. After all, I AM the one who wonders why every person over 10 in this house thinks they need their own personal camera. When I was young, there was this stuff called film, which cost money, and it had to be developed, which also cost money, so pushing that button on the camera was something one didn't do lightly. So I DO think digital cameras are miraculous, especially for the younger ones. I have been looking around and they can be had for only $40 -$50 for decent ones. Then there are rechargable batteries, the charger, and the camera card....

If you have traffic tickets, pay them!!! Do not be like my dear son Benjamin Paul, who thinks ignoring things makes them go away! He had a ticket several months ago, and it didn't go away. He found out when he turned 21 that his license had been suspended for not paying the ticket. Great. No job, no money, and no license. But some nice gray hair for mom. If it was someone else's kid, I probably would say to throw the bum out, but since he is my son, and I love him dearly, and I see great things in him, and know he has a soft heart, I will do everything I can to help him get back on his feet. But believe me, not without a nice lecture here and there. He has to get these things straightened out and in order if he is going to join the Navy. But I think he is hesitant to do that, for some reason. He is young, smart, and there are all sorts of opportunities out there.....anyway, dear son and I got all ready and went to court last night to get things all straightened out, and we were even there early. But we had the wrong night. It is tonight. "Well Mom, at least it wasn't last night!", my dear son said. And, we decided, everyone at home wouldn't be expecting us home yet....so we stopped at RiteAid to get some good Christmas candy. No, we didn't eat any of it. Anyway, dealing with the problems of the older ones always brings to mind the statement I hear about having 16 kids, "Well, the older ones probably help you alot!".....no comment.

Mirielle's car is being fixed down in Conneticut. I was glad there was some damage, as the cop down there seemed not to really believe Mirielle. The alignment was all messed up, and the rear tire, but neither the frame nor rear axel were bent. Abigail and Mirielle are going down tomorrow to pick it up, and are staying through the weekend.

Emily will be coming back from Norway next week!!! Paul was telling Camille last night how much Emily will like her, (Camille was only one when Em left!), and Camille said, "And Charlotte too!" Charlotte Claire didn't talk as early as Camille. They seem almost like twins. They are so much fun. We went shopping to Kohl's department store the other day with them, and when we were leaving, a family was coming in. Charlotte Claire said, "What!!? Their daddy is with them? Daddies don't like this store!"

And Charlotte Claire thinks that because we have our tree up, that means we should be opening presents....she is little enough that everything is new to her, last year she was only 2, so she doesn't have much memory. I brought home more candy canes yesterday, and they are all at the top of the tree. I must say though, we have had a tree every single year for all the years we were married, and we have had kids and crawling babies and toddlers of every age, and the tree has only fallen down a few times. And mostly that was the cats. And, we used to have a nail in the wall behind the tree, and tie it up. But we haven't done that for a few years now. I thought Rosie might be bad with the tree, but she has no interest in it. Probably because the candy canes are too high.

Well, we woke up to a few inches of new snow this morning, which turned to freezing rain, but school was not delayed. The second trip bus was late, and I wondered if I should send them, but they were up and dressed, and they already missed yesterday. I said a prayer for the poor bus driver, I would not want to drive that thing full of crazy kids on slippery roads. He is a very nice guy, too.

By the end of the week, we should be seeing some serious snow. I like it when I am in here all cozy, but the thought of Paul driving to work, and my older kids driving in it, and ME driving in it....but it has to be done. They don't just shut life down for the winter.

Well, it is quiet in here, and this is what happens when I get a chance to write a lot, I write a lot. Who feels sorry for Tiger? I do. Because he trampled his own conscience, and ruined his wife and kids' lives. I wonder if fortune and fame make people so drunk with their own greatness they think they are kings.....or if it just takes more and more to achieve happiness.

Well, enough rambling for this morning, anyway. I will get my camera batteries in today, and take some picures of the kids in the snow. It is cold cold cold in here....doesn't make me want to get moving, no - it makes me want to grab a comforter and cover up with it......

3 comments:

Beth Haley said...

Heheh I love hearing you say that the world doesn't shut down for the winter because where I grew up in Charleston, SC (a port and a beach surrounded by islands on the low coast of South Carolina) life DID close down for winter. If there was ever even slush on the ground when we woke at 6am, school was canceled. People didn't know how to "drive in the snow" and would wonder about the signs stating "bridge ices before road" because the roads and bridges never iced. I now live in the mountains in Northern GA (not too much colder, but enough) and we've had an inch or two of snow so far this season, which was on a Saturday so it didn't really count, but at least people know how to drive in it! It's so funny to me to hear that school still happened when there was that much snow!! And the bus driver? Oh my goodness! I would absolutely die to have to put my kids on the big yellow school bus in weather like that! I would be so terrified that the guy would slide off the road or something! But I guess that's just life there. Fun to hear about :-)

Cassandra said...

I love it when the kids individually come in to help me wrap presents, it's so special to them...
I had to laugh at what Charlotte said 'daddies dont like this store' too funny, i love the way they see the world at that age...
I cant even imagine what all that snow must be like, it must be nice to actually have a white christmas though, we usually hide inside in the air conditioning lol, i remember a couple of years ago i bought the kids those lolly stockings fullof chocolate and i got them out on christmas eve to find that they were all melted and squished for the heat!
oh and i love reading your blog (but you know that) so i am glad when you get a chance to write a lot :-)
Cassandra xx
Oh and thats for the congratulations and the prayers :-)

Book Lover said...

Just wanted to leave a quick note about your son Benjamin. Don't give up on him. My son is now married and 26, but up until the last 2 years, we struggled with him. He couldn't decide what he wanted to do with his life, didn't take care of responsibilities. Now he has completely turned around and he talks about how we helped him and never stopped loving him. I'm so glad I put up with him!!
There were many times when we were soo tempted to give up and throw him out!! Anyway, Benjamin will figure it out. Some kids need more time.

Blessings

Kim Chrisman