summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 16, 2010

"a few days is a long time, mommy...."

This morning, as we lounged around in the camper with no definite plans, Jonathan asked me if it was supposed to rain. I told him I didn't know, I hadn't gone on my computer in a few days......he said, "A few days is a long time, Mommy!"


And yes, it is. Here we are at home, in such a huge airy spread out house. I brought in the garbage bag stuffed with laundry, dumped it out on the vast kitchen floor, and started in on it. I thought, "Wow, we don't have very much laundry at all!", then I realized that we were gone for TWO days.

There is something beautiful that can come of being in a small space with those five-girls-in-a-row born in five years, plus Jonathan and the two little girls. It is called fellowship. It doesn't just come naturally, there are elbows that rub and there WAS the book that Evelyn threw at Margaret....but with no computers and the fact that the mosquitoes were fierce at night, we were nice and cozy, so we talked and laughed and really enjoyed each other. The first night, the two little girls went to bed and Evelyn made everyone cocoa with marshmallows. The second night we had popcorn and fresh fruit. I had a most enjoyable time because Emily gave me a good library book, and I slept by myself in the front bedroom, which has a light within reach, so I read far into the night....(around 2a.m. I smelled smoke quite strongly, and convinced myself that our little campfire was raging and about to engulf the camper, so I risked waking the five kids in the back bedroom by sneaking in there and looking out the window. Nah, just ashes...it was fine...)(I would have been glad to have one of the little girls sleep with me in my bed, but there is a nice new leak in the ceiling, which has a bowl stationed under it. I can only sleep on half the bed......)

Anyways, we are home. Home sweet home. The pool is clear and warm and refreshing, and we had SO much fun in there this afternoon, when I knew I should be starting dinner.....Sonja was chasing me, and each time she almost got me I would reach out and tickle her....we were laughing and shrieking so loud that Rosie was on her hind legs watching us.....then we were taking turns screaming under water.....and throwing Charlotte Claire is always fun.

When I finally hustled in here, it was seven o'clock. I rolled the chicken breast in olive oil, then put a grill rub all over it, grilled it, and served it with salad and fresh strawberries. Very good and very healthy.....I love summer. Gettind done with dinner at 8 pm is lovely...

Mirielle is coming home tomorrow for the week! Evelyn is busy getting their room back in order quick.

Jonathan is blowing up a balloon and driving Rosie crazy. Bark, bark, bark. She goes especially crazy when he lets it go and it pfffts all around the room.....okay, enough!

I am tired tonight, morning came too early today. We ended up going to Target and Price Chopper today.....Evelyn's flip flops were breaking, and I ended up getting Christmas presents. I got Jonathan some Playmobil sets that were half price, realizing all the while that I simply LOVE Playmobil. I also stocked up on some school supplies, like the twenty cent boxes of crayons and fifteen cent notebooks.

On the way to the register, I picked up a bag of Goldfish crackers for the kids...I handed it to Camille, so Charlotte Claire asked for one too. No, only one bag, honey. You can all share....that did not go over so well.....she did a little fussy dance. I told her quietly that she had to stop it or she would not be able to have any at all. She decided she wanted some, I guess.

I would have liked to just run into the grocery store by myself, but since it was hot and muggy and I had only young children with me, it was not an option. In we went. I got some rye bread and ham and water bottles for our lunch on the way home, saving myself the expense and guilt of McD's. We bought cereal and bananas and milk and eggs and tortilla chips and lettuce and peppers and the strawberries. And chicken breast, $1.69 a pound, and popcorn and half and half for our coffee. I also had to buy a cart full of beverages for a rehearsal dinner for a wedding our church is hosting.

Home to drop off a few children with Joseph, along with the groceries, then back to the camper to get our dirty clothes and refridgerator items. And to drop off the beverages. And to pick Jonathan up at his friend Phinneas' birthday party. No wonder I am tired. But why oh why do the children seem to have so much energy still?

They really want my attention, so this is it for now....

1 comment:

Tereza said...

you always have a lot going on! Sorta reminds me of my house!!!...