summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, July 25, 2010

NOOOO, ants in the cupboard!!!

When it is hot and dry and summer is taking place, ants come in the house. They usually make their debut on the counter, I put out some ant traps, and they disapear. Not this time. Here is what happened this evening.....

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, talking with Paul and my brother Bob. I told the kids since they had cleaned up the kitchen so nicely after dinner, they could pick anything they wanted for dessert, which was easy for me to say, since we don't have all that much to choose from right now....anyway, they had a box of chocolate chip cookies....I asked for a few (they are really small)....I set the box on the notebook on my lap while I took three cookies....I popped one in my mouth, set the other two down on the couch (I am the mom, so I can break the no-eating-on-the-couch rule)....when I handed the box back to Sonja, I was horrified to see tiny baby ants dancing all over my notebook...I got up and went in the kitchen, where the little ones were sitting at the table, dipping their cookies in milk...I peered into the box, and it was crawling with ants!!! Since I am so calm cool and collected, I shrieked and started spitting the cookie mush in my mouth into the garbage and telling them not to eat the cookies....the poor kids! oh my goodness, ants in their tummies! blah. yuck.

The good news is that there is no sign of them in any other cupboards, so we just cleaned that one out thouroughly and sprayed some special ant spray that is supposed to be safe for kitchen use in there.....we threw away alot of stuff (there were ants in the shortening!) Tomorrow, we are going to spray around the foundation of the house again...and check again to make sure they aren't in the other cupboards.

So my brother Bob was here talking with us about the grill, he is the main food buyer and we were just hashing out who was getting what, and doing some final plans...and my other brother, Tom, stopped over to pick up his son Luke, who stayed here for the weekend.....he came in for a little visit, and it was nice. I had to say a quick goodbye and run to the nearby town to get some eggs and bread and milk, before it closed. I took Jonathan and Sonja with me, then we headed over to pick up Samuel, who had spent the night at our friends' house. Mr. and Mrs. S. both came out to talk to me when I stopped there, and I realized as I drove away how lucky I am to have such good friends, and family.

Things I have learned today:

1. Ants are smart and despicable. I hate them because I ate them.

2. Jonathan and Sonja get silly just like my little brother and I used to....they were horrible in the store. Well, not really horrible, just silly.

3. When the grill runs out of gas it won't just magically work because I forgot it was out of gas. But chicken marinated in lemon pepper sauce still tastes good roasted in the oven.

4. I have a busy week ahead of me. I have meals to prepare for next week, and clothes to pack, Joseph's driving test to get through, more shopping for the grill...and since I had my dear daughter and good friend Mirielle here this past week, and she is gone now, it will seem busier and somehow lonley...

5. When I let kids use my Dyson vacuum cleaner, bad things happen. Someone vacuumed up a toothbrush. I mean, a toothbrush? And you guessed it, NO ONE DID IT!!!

6. We are running out of freezepops.

7. Camille should still take naps. She walked in front of Charlotte Claire's swing this afternoon and got kicked in the eye, she cried and fell asleep in my arms. I was too nervous to put her in her little bed, so I held her for an hour or so and let her sleep...which was a huge sacrifice, I had to read my book and relax while the world went on around me....Margaret put the rice and water and butter and salt in the pan and turned it on, and put the chicken in the oven...then Joe came along, I had him open four cans of corn and put it in the microwave...Evelyn set the table....by the time Miss Camille woke up, eye looking a bit dark and puffy, but otherwise fine, dinner was ready!

7 comments:

Mom said...

Your day sounds more challenging than mine! One day, when I was a poor student, I picked the ants off a ham sandwich that had been sitting on the counter top for a couple of hours--so I could eat it. I couldn't afford to waste the food--I was starving. My old room mate and I still laugh about it today, saying--oh, well, the ants didn't eat much. Now, I think I would rather go without the sandwich.

Karen said...

I also hate ants!

Martha said...

Never a dull moment. You know, ants, chocolate covered ones, are a delicacy in some places. But not your house, I guess.

16 blessings'mom said...

I certainly love chocolate, but I wouldn't eat a chocolate covered ant. Everytime I think of that cookie in my mouth, and the kids sitting there enjoying theirs...blah....and Bonnie....the good thing is that ham lasts a long time..

_ said...

I just wanted to say hi and let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I found it thru Martha's blog and your posts make me feel so much better. I'm a mom of 8 and your posts make me feel right at home. :) I love reading about your day. People ask me all the time how I do it with 8 kids...I sit here and wonder how you do it with 16.

Regarding your ant post...blech, what a horrible discovery to find that your delectible cookies had been overrun with ants. We usually get an ant problem when it rains alot...and we've never had them in our cookies but have discovered them in our peanut butter and our powdered sugar. Imagine shaking powdered sugar on your waffles only to find ants in there. Yuk!

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Vicky, nice to meet you! Please never wonder how I "do it" with sixteen. Because it is usually like 8 of them who give me trouble!

16 blessings'mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.