summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 17, 2022

mom, mom, mom!

 On Saturday, I was working in the kitchen at church, and introduced myself to a girl I hadn't met before, from Toronto.  I told her my name, but that she could also yell MOM!, to get my attention...then I thought about how through the years I've learned to almost tune it out, ha...MOM MOM MOM...but also, I may have answered to random kids through the years too, as Mom is my name as well as their Mom's name.

(Our dinner went well on Saturday, fed 180 workers...26 pounds of pasta, bags and bags of frozen meatballs in sauce...we baked the meatballs, put them in foil pans, added sauce, foiled the tops, put them in the warmers, made pasta in two pound batches in four pans at a time, drained it, sprinkled garlic and olive oil on it, stirred it up, foiled the tops, put it in the warmer...then frozen garlic bread with cheese went in the ovens, massive salads were made with romaine, spring mix, small tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions...served with dressing packets and crouton packets....a group of girls was busy making eight huge pans of apple crisp for later, after an evening meeting...we served Costco chocolate chip cookies for dessert...there was plenty of food, and it turned out good...phew!  The best part is working with such a good crew, willing helpers, who know what they're doing, and are happy doing it!  (I hate being in charge, it's so daunting, but equally satisfying when it's all said and done, and it went well, a well oiled machine...also, Evelyn was there and she knows her stuff, can stay on task, so it was smooth sailing!)

Yesterday, Miss Evelyn Joy came over and picked us up...she wanted to get some spooky decorations for Margaret and Adrian's house, as she is going there on Halloween night to hand out candy when they take the kids out Trick or Treating.  


Charlotte Claire, Camille Anaya, Evelyn Joy, Sonja Kathleen in the front, and me...
Silly was the word of the day...I was walking along, blissfully checking out the clearance end cap, when I heard mom mom mom, with a lot of laughter...they think I'm old and deaf, and that they're really funny.  
I don't even know how much this blue pumpkin was, or what it is used for, I like it, but need it like a hole in the head...(can we still say that?!).  I have ENOUGH of autumn decorations, enough.  (In my cart there are wood decorations to paint, for Activity Club).  
That big white pumpkin dish is cute, in the front...but I didn't but that, either.  I let the girls pick out a sweater each, it was great fun for them...they were 30% off, so expensive to begin with this year, so it was still too much...but honestly, if you wait, they won't have your size anymore.  

We were able to sit on the deck for a while and get some sun yesterday afternoon.  Margaret and Adrian came over, then Mariel...we had a nice taco salad for dinner.  Margaret is still getting tomatoes from her garden...her mother-in-law told her to pick the green tomatoes with the stalks still on them, and they'd ripen up on the counter, so she's been doing that...

We've had a dark rainy morning, and we'll have a chilly week, but it's supposed to be beautiful this weekend, lots of sunshine.  Paul will be home on Friday night, I don't like midnight airport runs, but this one will be worth it.   He misses us, says two weeks is too long, and he'll try to do it differently next time.  He did have a nice weekend though, said he walked 23,000 steps on Saturday...that's like ten days worth...or five busy ones.  

I have a giant To-Do list, but it's so quiet and lazy in here...:).   To be fair, I did tons of things in between sitting here for a bit, and getting my second cup of coffee...then I decided what-the-heck, may as well sit down and enjoy the second cup...now it's time to move again!


1 comment:

Shirley in Washington said...

I am so amazed at all you and your family do at your church! It sounds like a delicious meal you and your team prepared but lots of work. Here in the beautiful PNW we have had smokey skies for about 6 weeks due to fires in the mountains. We are expecting rain this weekend and breezy conditions which should really help with the fires and smoke. Blessings, Shirley