summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

taking a minute...

 

Last night's dinner, one of the best chicken pot pies yet.   I was making a pie crust for a sugar free pumpkin pie, and had a brilliant idea:  there's leftover pot pie filling in the freezer!  Since we've downsized to making just one of these for dinner lately, when I make the soup stuff, there's always extra, so I bag it up and put in the freezer.  Last evening, I put a few baggies of it in a bowl of warm water to thaw, then put it in the crust, and mmm, a hot yummy dinner on a cool cozy night.
I actually think this is beautiful.  Cloudy skies.  Those orange and red trees.  mm. hmm.
I drive this road all the time, the fields are freshly harvested...looks like a new hair cut.

This fine morning, I should not be sitting here.  I have things to do!  I'm having brunch today for some of my friends, they'll be here in an hour.  I washed the couch covers and don't want to put them back on 'til the last minute, but hmmm...I want to do EVERYTHING at the last minute!  There are pans on the stove, one with thick sliced peppered bacon, one with maple sausage, ready to turn on and cook...I'm making two quiches, one veggie, one just cheese...the veggies ARE already cut up.  I have strawberries and blueberries to wash and set out, and croissants and Camille's pumpkin bars with brown sugar frosting to cut and plate. 

The quiche will be crustless.  I want to say it's because it's healthier, but shh, I didn't realize you had to blind bake them, and all that, making the crust is no big deal, but it seemed like a hassle to bake them first and everything...I figure if you want your carbs, have a croissant, right?  It was hard not to dig into that pumpkin pie last night, I'll tell you that.  It's SO good.

This afternoon, the girls and I have to make a trip to the dump.  Paul usually does it, and if he's gone for one week, shh, we just wait, but we HAVE to go, dang it.  Tomorrow, I have to do some painting at a house that should have been up and rented months ago.  

Here's a funny story:  I was talking to Kathryn the other morning, and in the background, Achilles was upset, and asking for his track.  He found a car that went with it, but where was the track?  It was one of the things they left behind when they packed up and moved here from Salem so swiftly, a few months back.  Achilles has been here on the east coast since April, I can't believe he remembers his track, he'll be three in December...anyways, I went to the thrift store that afternoon (we dropped off nine bags of stuff, yay us!), and there was a nice set of that same kind of car track, it's Magic Track (as seen on tv!)!  I put new batteries in the cars it came with, and they work.  I can't wait to give it to him!

And...off I go, so excited to have my friends over!!!!

3 comments:

Deb said...

That pot pie does look good, and I agree that heavily clouded days have their own kind of beauty. They always feel like winter is just a moment away, especially with the changing leaves and freshly harvested fields. I was coming back from a doctor appointment just this morning and seeing how many of the fields are bare now, feeling stark and bare for winter winds to come howling across the land. Brrrr.

Terri D said...

I know your friends had a wonderful time! Your brunch sounds delicious! Lucky boy to have a Grandma who has a magical ability to find just the right things in thrift stores! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, we're getting chilly weather here, but then tomorrow, high sixties and sunshine...back and forth, but that's what I like about New York...it doesn't get boring. But those winter winds, brrr, I think it gets much colder in your neck of the woods, but we might get a bit more snow some years anyway, because of Lake Ontario...
Terri, the brunch was yummy, and I am still so awed that that track was there...it's a smallish thrift store, there aren't many toys there...