summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 13, 2022

pumpkin pie bliss...

...happiness is remembering you have a sugar free pumpkin pie in the 'fridge...

Ah, coffee!  This was my afternoon cup...
The cookies Miss Cam insisted on...
You mean everyone doesn't eat pie from a mug?  hmm.  It's good.

This fine day, after doing a few things around here, I decided to tackle more of the storage room downstairs.  We don't have an actual garage, just a shelter-type structure for the mower, lawn chairs.  Things like the outside umbrellas, the folding lawn chairs, the camping equipment, all the extra toys, and holiday decorations get stored in one room downstairs.  It used to be storage just in part of the huge room, and the other half was a bedroom, but after some kids moved out, and it wasn't needed as a bedroom anymore, the storage grew and grew, until it became a nightmare.  The tools are in there, and the paint and supplies, and the snow cone machine (yes, of course we have one!), extension cords, the air compressor, an extra door, and some sheetrock. 

We've got a dehumidifier down there that we've had for 30 years, and it was old when we got it.  It still sucks  out the moisture, but the original tank is gone, there's a Tupperware bin to collect the water, and it easily overflows.  If one isn't mindful to empty it a few times a day, the whole unit will be sitting in a puddle.   I don't know why it has taken me this long to order a new one, but I finally did, it's coming next week.  The fact that I'm ridiculously excited about it...go figure.  The new one can dehumidify 4,500 sq feet, and our house is a bit over 3,000.  I'm hoping it really drys out the downstairs, and that the holding tank is bigger, and that it is more energy efficient.

Anyways, instead of being just daunted by the size of the task of sorting out that room, I'm going to chip away at it.  The girls helped me on Monday:  we brought up every single box, bag, and bin of holiday decorations, and sorted through them.  Three huge bags went to the thrift store as donations, and two went in the garbage.  Now everything is neatly in bins.  Today, I sorted out the dollhouse stuff and put it all in bins, and bagged up a few sleeping bags to donate, along with some toys.  I'm excited about getting it all done and organized. 

I was just digging in to this project this morning, when Kathryn called...she needed some anti-itch for her little one, she has a rash, and they've been sick with colds.  So I got dressed, and Camille and I went to Dollar General in town.  We brought some fuzzy Christmas blankets for the kids, and a little Playdough set for Achilles, and a few snacks.  We visited with them for a bit, then...went to Target.  I wanted to get a few more storage containers, and some chicken breast.  We needed a gallon of milk, they were out, so we went in a grocery store too...pork chops were $1.49 a pound, so I bought a package....they're marinating in the refrigerator in vinegar and cajun spices.  

Home...ah, a nice autumn drive in the dark rain with the brilliant trees, leaves swirling around in the wind...and home.  After putting the chops in the marinade, I cubed up the chicken, and put it in a bit of vinegar and salt and pepper, with some ginger and cayenne.  When it was time for dinner, I drained it, tossed it in cornstarch with more pepper and ginger, and browned it up in oil...Camille made rice, and I put microwaved frozen broccoli spears into the pan I had made the chicken in, just to brown it up, with a splash of soy sauce, mmm.  

The sauce for the chicken:  a random compilation of:  1/3 bottle of teriyaki sauce, the rest of a jar of orange marmalade, a scoop of apricot jam (wasn't enough of the orange left), a heaping spoonful of honey, a stick of butter, and lots of freshly ground ginger.  When it was hot and bubbly, I put the browned chicken into it, stirred it up, and mmmmm good.  I'm not saying it's healthy, but I did skip the rice...oh it was a good dinner.  

Tomorrow...I think I have to make a Costco trip for things for this weekend...we're having a work weekend at church, working on...the ski/sledding hill, and lodge...180 people are coming, and guess who's heading up the dinner?  mm hmm.  Slightly terrified, but it'll work out, and I won't be doing it alone, of course!  

Ah well....it was a really good day! 
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della πŸ‘‹

Good for you getting stuck into sorting out the room in the basement. I did a whole bunch a few months ago and had the junk man come and get most of it. The stuff for the thrift store I took myself, but the ‘real junk’ went with the junk man. It as SO NICE to see that gone. I’m a dreadful procrastinator πŸ™„ and my pantry really needs some attention at the moment. AND I’m going to go through all the kitchen cupboards and have a good toss. I started with the plastic container cupboard the other day and tossed quite a bit from there and now it’s really tidy and woe betide the person (my husband) who just dumps stuff in everywhere and anywhere. So far so good πŸ˜‰

You always seem to be cooking for the multitudes……….I think you are amazing. I’m having about 13 plus people……..just family and everyone brings something………in a few weeks, and I’m thinking about it already. I have to plan it to tell them what to bring. You seem to just breeze through. I’m out of practice as I handed the big dinners over to all the girls after 50+years of doing it. When you marinate the pork chops in vinegar, how much do you use? I have some buttermilk in the fridge so we’re having buttermilk pancakes and eggs for supper. Thank goodness I don’t have a fussy husband…..he eats anything!

Anyway, happy sorting and tossing!!

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Unknown said...



Hi again!.

I’m going to make pulled chicken in the crockpot. I’ve made that before for a larger group and it’s really yummy and feeds the multitude. Some big boys who can really eat! I will have my daughter in law make her famous gluten free Mac and cheese with cauliflower in it! It is just so good. My other daughter in law maybe dessert. One of the kids……..they’re not really kids as they are all mid 20’s and older……..can bring coleslaw and others can bring munchies and I’ll also make my rum baked beans!! They are sooooooooo good and they all love them. I’ll have buns, pickles etc and anything else I think of along the way. It will come together. 😊😊

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I think you've got this, sounds fantastic. I love the Mac and cheese with cauliflower! Pulled chicken is good too, mmm!:)