summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, October 8, 2022

stay and home and bake day...




A triple batch, all done, only a few burnt ones...I bake two pans at a time, set the timer for four minutes, and switch the pans around, upper and lower racks...well, one time I was cruising around the kitchen on auto-pilot, and I switched the pans around when the timer buzzed, and I think I switched them around to the same racks as they were on, and the ones on the bottom rack burnt a bit.  I thought I had this process down to a science, and dang.  I fill six cookie sheets before I start (If I had more sheets, I'd do more, as this recipe makes about 150 cookies)...anyway.  I made cookies.  I also made some pumpkin muffins.  Then it was dinner time, but not before vacuuming and mopping the floors and cleaning things up, and shh, sitting in my comfy chair for a break, ha.  Dinner:  chicken breasts were marinating in vinegar and cajun spices, I cut them into smaller pieces, rolled them in cornstarch and flour, then dipped in egg, then coated in breadcrumbs, onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper and olive oil, and into a 400 degree oven...I peeled some red skinned potatoes (left the good shiny parts of the peels on), and made mashies, with minced onion and garlic and salt, pepper, and lots of butter...then a bag of long green beans in the microwave, and mmm, a yummy dinner.  

The girls' friends came over, and silliness ensued.  Evelyn came over and brought snacks, Grace and Irene brought cider and cookies, and they watched, "Miss Congeniality", which is quite funny. 

I saw this and could relate....I'm on my 15th teenager driving, and it hasn't gotten easier, ugh.  


 Camille asked me the other day if I was looking forward to teaching her to drive...oh dear.  

I have to drive Paul to the airport soon.  Sunny suspects something, she knows what a suitcase means.  She is going to be a sad puppy for the next few weeks.  She loves me, but Paul is her person.  She loves everyone, except for Ben, she is scared of Ben...because he said RAH to her when he first moved back here, five years ago.  When Ashley comes over, she hides under the table until she determines Ben isn't with her, then she'll come out.  She'll come out eventually when Ben is here, but she'll evade and avoid him, she doesn't growl or anything, she just keeps her cautious distance.  She's the kind of dog who sees the dog brush in your hand, and off she goes, to under the table.  

It's a sinus headache day.  I woke up with it, took a nice hot shower, but it didn't go away.  Perhaps I'm getting a cold, blah.  I don't like just taking ibuprofen willy-nilly, because even if it's over-the-counter, there are still side effects, but you have to live your life, too, and a Saturday with a pounder is challenging..especially when it pounds and makes you feel like you're going to toss your cookies, and I don't even eat cookies!  

Yes, that's the hard part, I should be skinny, it's not fair.  I baked all those cookies, and didn't even have a taste of the dough, not a bite of one.  The house smelled heavenly all day, and I enjoy making them, I just know that I cannot eat them....last time I told myself nonsense, you can eat a cookie!, I ate like ten.  I did have a few Hershey kisses last night though....

Anyway.  Have a nice cozy Saturday...

5 comments:

Terri D said...

Your cookies always make me hungry! My Joe would eat burnt cookies. He said there is no such thing as a bad chocolate chip cookie! Have a blessed Sunday! xo

Michelle in FL said...

Those cookies look delicious! The part about Suri being afraid of Ben from what he said 5 years ago is kind of hilarious:)

Linda said...

Staying home and baking sounds good to me...I hope you have a beautiful day/week. smiles

Diana said...

I give you permission to have a bite of cookie dough next time. LOL! I was going to ask if you were losing weight when I saw your selfie... truly, I thought you somehow looked thinner. Maybe the shirt? You look good in it. But anyway ... weird women conversations, huh, haha ... I agree with TerriD, my hubby and grandson, well, probably all the other grandkids would say even burnt cookies deserve to be eaten! Ha! // One of my granddaughters is 15 today, but she already knows how to drive... I've just not ridden with her yet, so yeah, that's my shaky-moment-new-driver thing. // I understand the pounding head and still having to get things done. Sometimes I can't because I must take my migraine med and sleep it off, then I'm mad at myself because I have to do that and get behind on things. Hope your head is better today! Hugs, my friend!

Deb said...

I've been having sinus headaches lately, or fall allergies. Doesn't seem like a cold. Could be that the furnace is on more often now and kicking up dust. Whatever it is, I don't like it!

Ohhhhh, all those cookies look divine. I want to bake more, just can't get myself to do it. I shouldn't eat such things either, but I can still have fun making them and giving them to family members, get the temptation out of my own house. LOL I'm determined to make some sugar cookie cut-outs and decorate them for Halloween. My son has a 3D printer and even made me a Hogwarts castle cookie cutter! =)