summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 10, 2022

old shopping mall...spooky and scary...and sad

 

The old Shoe Dept. store...the girls remembered going into the "clearance room" there...the mall is still open, but the only stores there are the Shoe Dept. in a smaller location, moved to across from Old Navy, which is still going strong.  Bath & Body Works is still there, and The Spirit of Halloween is where Dick's Sporting Goods was.

This candy looks a wee bit old...


My girls were probably remembering how many times I dragged them in here, as I perused the clearance racks and tried things on...it was one of the only stores I could find decent jean skirts, back when it's almost all I wore...their clearance sales were amazing, for decent clothes.








Charlotte Claire in the old Dunkin' kiosk.  
This suburban mall was one of our go-to places, the one in the city is just...a bit scary, too crowded, and just too much!  In this county, a new computer chip factory is supposed to be built, so there will be employment opportunities and retail growth...I'm hoping this mall makes a come back.  Oh, the days when one could shop at Sears, and the Children's Place, and Kay-Bee toys (that was a LONG time ago!).  Toys R' Us was right across the parking lot, too much fun!  Anyway, mall walkers still walk in the mall...as we walked down the abandoned corridor, we could hear the sound effects from The Spirit of Halloween, all they way at the end, and no way did we want to go in there...the girls did find some nice things at Old Navy, it's the time of the year to buy shorts:  $2.99!  I got Anya some leggings and a top for her birthday, too.  

We also went to...Target...didn't get much, a jumper for Anya, shampoo and conditioner, a candle...

The girls made pizzas last night, three mini ones from one dough.

Pepperoni, Buffalo chicken...
BBQ with onions, and...
...my "pizza", it's just mozzarella cheese on parchment with some little dollops of sauce, oregano, some Buffalo sauce, and pepperoni.  It was salty (I wonder if pizza dough cuts balances out the saltiness), but it was not too bad.  Next time I'll probably just make a few tiny bite sized "pizzas", as this was way too much, especially with the chicken wings that Evelyn picked up from the pizza place....

Today is a day off, no school, but Sonja K. has tons of work to do for nursing school.   We were going to clean out our storage room, maybe we'll do some of it...maybe not:)


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della……….it’s such a shame these retail stores sometimes just can’t compete. We have a couple of older malls that have gone belly up and are just like ghost malls! One turned into medical offices. They are aways from me and I just never did go there even when they were malls.

It’s our Thanksgiving Day today and we are going to my daughter’s for supper. She’s having ham and all the goodies that go with that, and pumpkin pie. I’m looking forward to all of that!! I don’t do these big meals anymore. Been there, done that for over 55 years. The young ones have taken over the job. I’ll probably have a gang in for my husband and his 2 sons who all have birthdays within a week of each other in November. Pulled chicken or something is good for a crowd I think. There’s quite a tribe of them now with girlfriends and a wife!!

Anyway have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Jan said...

It is sad to go to the old malls. We used to mall shop a lot when my kids-now 42 and 39-were little. It was where all the stores were. My teen granddaughters love shopping at the outlet malls now.

Deb said...

Old empty malls are so sad, and kinda creepy. I would LOVE to go back to those days, when you could shop all day, a ton of stores, run into people you knew, hang out . . . instead of Amazon-everything, do it all online. The mall in the town where I do my shopping is technically still open but deserted. I've been hearing for years now that someone bought the whole building and a Meijer store will be built, but still don't see anything happening. I'd love to have a Meijer store nearby! I've never been to one. I'm quitting sick of our Walmart.

Betty said...

When we lived in village green we were so excited when it opened up I worked in Liverpool and would go to Kaufmanns and shop on my way home, and oh the smell of cinnabuns when walking into the mall. Last time I was in NY I was so sad to see what it has become. ironically some of the things I bought at kaufmanns are still in good shape 27 years later!

Betty said...

Just remembered a real creepy one, north country in central square. Our first home was in cleveland, NY and when north country opened up it had an IGA and a department store called north country which was a lot like a smaller version of Ames. We loved it because it saved a trip into closest good shopping in North Syracuse and it was a convenient spot to meet my car pool to Liverpool. It now has graffiti all over the outside. So very sad thanks for sparking some nice memories of a better time.

Anonymous said...

Our mall has become a hospital at one end, what's left of the mall on the other. It still has empty store spaces. Crazy how old that candy might be!
Valerie