summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 16, 2011

despicable me

If you haven't watched this yet, you should. It is only a buck at Redbox, and it is worth every penny. It is funny and sweet. Charlotte Claire and Camille are totally transfixed.

Our house is busy tonight. Abigail is here, as are all of the kids except for Emily and Benjamin, and Margaret. So that makes 13, plus two cousins, plus Ashley, plus Paul and I. Some of the older ones are playing poker while the younger ones watch "Despicable Me" for the second night in a row.

Well, I never got the treadmill out today...but I did go outside three or four times. Rosie was chasing the guy down the road in his pickup truck/snowplow. She would not listen to me, I had to go out there and get her. I also helped shovel so Abigail could get into the driveway, and then I took Rosie out again. It is so pretty with all the snow, but oh my goodness, it was deeper than my boots and I had no socks under them. And the snow we shoveled swirled in the wind and got all over our faces. The kids are loving it this year. Even Aaron went out and played with them.

Our house looks like....well....a house where all the kids keep going outside and coming in and hanging up wet snowpants and jackets and mittens and gloves all over the place...from the kitchen chairs and on the heat registers and in the foyer....and the snow they bring in on their boots and snowpants when they stomp in the door with their red cheeks and happy faces....and the cocoa cups they don't rinse....but is the cup half empty or half full? That is up to me....yes, I find some grumbling...sometimes more than other times.....I mean, I don't like mopping up melted snow three times a day....or nagging at them to....but this is all part of my life right now, and honestly, it is not easy. The Grand Central Station kitchen that is never fully cleaned up....but it hasn't killed me yet.

Right now Jonathan has his Thomas train set up in the living room for us all to "enjoy". ha. He also has lots of playmobil stuff out, and there are some dollies and a huge stuffed rabbit, and an Elmo, and some matchboxes and the shopping cart and two sit n spins, a toy ambulance, Jon's bedding, since he likes to cuddle under it when he is watching a movie....again, it hasn't killed me yet.

The poker players have made popcorn and found the Triscuits. I have a friend who has a large family, and she locks up the snacks so she can be the doler-outer. I haven't resorted to that yet, but sometimes I see her wisdom. I do get creative and hide things in special places if I don't want them to eat everything in one day, but they are smart kids. I do still have one bag of the Lindt truffles in my room, but they know it is there....they'll probably be asking for it any time now. Should I hide it in my drawer and play dumb? Because once it is out here, we each get one or two, and that is it....of course, I don't need more than one or two....great, now I made myself want to get them out....

2 comments:

Martha said...

It hasn't killed me yet... and thankfully, I haven't killed anyone either. :)

Mom said...

Our kids love that movie too!