summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

lots and nothing...

So our library trip went well, if you consider almost getting kicked out of the library a success. See, I was browsing the newly arrived mysteries when I realized there was background noise. Hysterical laughing, you know the kind, the kind four sisters are pretty good at. They must've forgotten where they were. I set out to find them because I KNEW it was them. By the time I rounded the corner of the aisle they were in, the librarian was saying, "Straighten out or leave. I mean it." I said, "I was just going to tell them the same thing. Thank you." Didn't want her to think I would actually approve of such behavior. So I gave the girls my sternest looks, my strongest whispered threats to disband, disperse, don't look at each other,knock it off, get some books, and let's get out of here. I mean, sometimes serious admonitions can just add fuel to the fire and make them laugh harder, and I did not want to get kicked out of that library. Thing is, I told them later, I was afraid I was going to start laughing too, because that's what I do. When laughter is forbidden, things get very funny to me. And the looks those girls gave each other when the librarian was shaking her finger at them...oh, I felt the silliness in me stir.

Turns out they had a really good reason to start laughing. One of them apparently farted, loudly, and the group of boys sitting several feet away heard it, and started laughing. Then one of them pulled a book off the shelf that was about sad poems, with a ridiculous title....it was all just too funny.

We headed to Target, but as we cut through the parking lot of the hardware store, who did we meet but older sister Emily? Evelyn decided to abandon us to go with Emily.

I got the girls a drink at the Starbucks in Target, and got my favorite, medium roast coffee with sugar-free mocha and room for cream. I got a gift for the baby shower on Saturday, and let the girls get a few things. I also bought a folding chaise lounge for $16, thought it would make camping in tents more comfy, make me think I am in my chair at home.

Grocery store for bananas and milk and pears and bagels and detergent and dog chow.

Home...time to make dinner! Homemade pizza. Zucchini pizza for me...just sliced it up, browned it in the oven in olive oil, then added toppings. Browned it up again, and yummy. Pizza without the guilt.

I resisted chocolate last evening, which should result in like a ten pound loss, if the suffering was equal to the result.

This morning, fun abounds here! I decided on a whim to let the three youngest stay home...or rather, go out and about with mommy. They have birthday money to spend, and want to go to the big toystore. They already have some ideas of what they want from browsing online with me, so hoepefully they will be reasonable if things in the store are lots more expensive. It is fun to go and look, and fun to skip school. But they learn things this way too...when Char was looking online, she knew she had a $3 off coupon, so she was subtracting three bucks from each item in her head.

They are mostly ready now, all fed and dressed. We cleaned up the living room and the kitchen first, and I put my second load of laundry in. I am putting off my trip to the pool until later, which is not smart, but....it is what I am doing today...










No comments: