summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 30, 2018

a new start...


Morning walk...these have not been happening, but: I am starting anew. Again. I am going to get in better shape. I'm telling you, excuses or not, when you start to get over the hill, the weight not only piles on, it seeks me out, courts me, moves right in without my permission. But, excuses or not, I am not giving up.


Heading to New Jersey on Saturday to pick Paul up...he couldn't get a flight until evening, and didn't want to wait in the airport all day.

And, the next stop...:)

It was a lot of driving, thank you to my dear daughter Emily who actually drove. She's a busy girl these days, seeing her own patients in primary care, she says it's mentally exhausting because of the variety and the seriousness, and the huge responsibility. It was nice for me to have those hours with her to catch up, and hear about her days. And don't worry, she wouldn't violate the patients' privacy, she speaks vaguely and never tells names or specific details.

Anyway, Paul is home, and he is tired. :)

We had lots of people over for dinner last night. Burgers, hot dogs, and some hot sausage patties on the grill,and a watermelon, and a nice salad from Ashley. Davian was here for the day, then Lydia arrived in the evening to spend the night. I need to take more pictures, don't I? Baby Wulf, little Elise (she's crawling now!), Anya...and Lydia...they are so sweet.


I did not take this pic, but it was on my phone, so...Lydia loves her aunties.

So what is life REALLY like? The days speed by. The pool is nice, pretty clear. The grill needs cleaning. The house...well, it always needs a bit more attention, but it's not terrible. The hot tub...ugh. It's leaking, and something wonky on the control screen...
But what's going on with me?

I am soaking in these summer days, trying to hold on to them...because busier days are coming. Kathryn is going to college. She's commuting from here, but still. She will be gone every day, and busy with homework. Evelyn is leaving at the end of August, for three months, to Switzerland. Suzanne and Sonja are going back to school, 11th and 12th grades. Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille are homeschooling again. I need to get their plans and curriculum sorted out. I want to have them enroll in the homeschool gym class in the small city, it's pricey but I think it's good for them, and fun. I have Lydia here a few days a week, and when school starts, Anne will probably be coming over again.

Paul might be going to Singapore again, maybe for one week. He mentioned maybe bringing me if we have enough frequent flyer miles. Well. I stuttered. It's a long flight. I don't know. wow. Me? Singapore? Do you know that AFTER flying to New York or New Jersey (short flights, just an hour or so, but then the layover...)..then all the way to California (almost six hours), there's a 16 hr, 20 minute flight to Singapore? It sounds claustrophobic, and exhausting. It sounds like way too long to travel...but then again, I would get to go to Singapore...how cool would that be? The hotel would surely have a pool, and with warm weather...hmmm. But then, I think, I have a pool in my back yard.

And I could think of better ways to redeem those miles...um, Jamaica? And don't forget, we're planning a trip to Norway next summer! I would LOVE to be able to bring Suzanne and Sonja and Jonathan, along with Char and Cam....

Anyway. Have you ever noticed the endless cycle wherein you think that when a certain thing gets finished, accomplished, or purchased, you will be happy? I remember when Joseph was small, he was absolutely convinced that if he got a package of feathers, he would be happy. He was making an Indian costume (Native American), and he needed feathers. (He was hilarious, he was always asking my sister to get him some, too...)Anyway, he would get them, and make the costume, then tell me he would be happy if he had a pair of black pants and a black shirt...to make a batman outfit. He was always making something or other, but just the earnestness of the expressions on his little face, as he tried to convince me that this ONE thing he wanted would make him happy. But of course we know, that once we get that one thing, we want something else.

When I got my kitchen painted, ceiling and all, yay! But it only made me want to paint the living room, ceiling too. Then I got some new windows and painted the windowsills white...it never ends. Now I have ideas about a new shower in my bathroom, knocking down a few walls in here, and definitely new flooring in the kitchen. :) But. I am conscious that it isn't getting things renovated, or acquiring things, that makes me happy. Well, it DOES, but, ha, I know this is deceitful, this seeking of always new and better, and it wastes the days...days like today, for example, a day when for all intents and purposes, I should be totally thankful and content. I am. It's a decision I am making. I am thankful for what we have.

Lydia is awake, little miss sunshine herself.

I have to go out and about, bring Paul his lunch, he forgot it, and he's so tired, it's the least I can do...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Singapore, how exciting. Wouldn't it be romantic if you had a couple days layover in Hawaii on the way back.


Erika

Glenda Piper said...

Post pics of the freshly painted kitchen!!!

Marilyn said...

Oooooooo Della.......Singapore!! But, yes that is a very long flight 😬 Jamaica sounds great though............We have been having some lovely summer days too. I love summer, but it’s too short, isn’t it? We had a big banger of a storm last night, but no rain and we certainly could have used it. Fancy baby Elise is crawling already. Crawling babies are just the cutest 👶 Enjoy your day!

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Erika, no! Don't be giving me such ideas! That would be quite amazing.
Glenda, do you mean our kitchen cabinets? My kids have been painting at Em, Abigail, and Mirielle's house, their bathroom. We painted our kitchen cabinets a few months ago, and just this morning while walking, I was thinking about painting our kitchen, so it's funny you would say this! I am thinking of a blue-ish greenish...instead of the yellow we've had for years.