summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 9, 2018

all the time in the world...

That's what I have. The president of Procrastinators Anonymous, that's me. I don't need to do that now, the graduation party is not until Friday! Never mind that Paul is leaving for another two week trip to Singapore on Friday morning, and that my girls have friends from Germany in town, with plans to do this and that and the other thing, and sadly, "the other thing" is probs not Helping Mom Clean The House.

But, as we procrastinators know, it WILL get done. Or it won't, and I won't die, I haven't died yet from a messy house, although I have had that Die A Million Deaths feeling a few times when people drop by when things are at their worst. I remember one time a friend came by, and looked at the building blocks strewn across the kitchen floor, he looked at me, and asked, "Why don't you just pick them up?" Where do I even start with a question like that? Did he think I threw them all over because I like stepping on Legos? Or that I told the kids to have as much fun as they want, but to make sure they throw toys all over the kitchen as well as the living room?

Anyway.

The kids are growing up, but I've had little friends here a lot for the last few days. Miss Lydia was here on Thursday, and again yesterday. She gets here at 6 a.m. (her POOR mama! She works those 12 hour shifts and has to wake Lyd up and drive her here...:(). I have thoroughly enjoyed bonding with little Lydia, those quiet hours of the morning, keeping her busy and talking to her and singing songs and playing store...not too shabby.

I don't like media/movies/tablets, ect., for small children, but I make exceptions for this stretch in the early morning, as neither of us is ready to face the day yet. I played Peppa Pig for her, both of us cuddled in my chair,but the little stinker turns around and makes sure my eyes are open at two minute intervals. "Open your eyes, Grandma. Open your eyes!"


Sebastian and Linnea were here by 8 a.m. on Saturday, to spend the day with me. My own kids were all at volleyball camp, and Jon was going fishing with Paul, which was why I had the twins: their daddy and older brother were going fishing with Paul too, their mama at volleyball camp, so I offered to watch them. It was too much fun. We swam and colored and I told them stories, we went for ice cream, and to the store for more pool supplies. I forgot just how much fun small children are. They delight in the things older ones don't even notice anymore. On the way home from the store, sun-kissed and ice cream sticky, they were looking sleepy, so I sang them the nighty-night song, and they fell fast asleep.

Anyway. I do keep busy, somehow. Yesterday Paul and I went to a celebration for Nate and Danielle, some friends who moved down south and were married a few months back. Nate is from a family with fourteen kids, and spent lots of time here at our house back when the boys were growing up. It was a beautiful day to be outside with friends.

Anyway, I am making a list of all the things that I would like to get done by Friday, so that the girls here are aware and plan accordingly. In other words, don't make plans on Friday, we are panic cleaning, ha.

This morning, I got up and got the pool started, put in some more chlorine, weeded the patio, puttered around the yard picking things up and pulling weeds here and there, washed a load of towels, wiped down the counters, went to take my vitamins and ended up remembering to give the dogs their heartworm pills, which had to be disguised in raw burger, so they would take them. Suri somehow spit hers out like three times, so I finally had to hold her handle closed and tip her head back, she didn't like that much, but she needed the pill. (Sam calls the dogs' noses "the handle")

So I putter around and do things, the girls are all exhausted from their busy back to back schedule of cabin-summer conference at church - volleyball camp. They are still sleeping, and I know they'll wake up and have all sorts of plans. I still haven't heard all the stories of the fun they had. They stayed at hotels and had feasts and a gala, and way too much fun.

I have missed them.

Our weather here in the northeast is flawless. Today: brilliantly sunny and warm, high 89. (31.6c). It's what Mirielle calls "an umbrella sky". A blue umbrella. Here in central New York, we get all to many gray umbrellas, and of course we get too much snow, and our winters sometimes last right up to summer, no spring at all, ha. So when it's so gorgeous outside...we appreciate it.

And...who can resist the cherries and strawberries of the beginning of summer?

And now I am going to finish my list, but first, here's a pic of me with Kathryn...I think I look like each of the girls I take a picture with...

No comments: