summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

happy birthday, to me!


Happiness is waking up on your birthday, and seeing this on the counter:

He remembered! And, the gift isn't too shabby either, ha. The mug is the kind that keeps thing really hot, or really cold, and they really work well! I had one that lasted a few years before I lost track of it, and it was awesome. And there's an essential oils diffuser in the bag too, yay.

He's a good husband, a keeper. But can I tell you what he did? A friend went salmon fishing, fresh water salmon from Lake Ontario...of course Paul wanted some! It was in a bag in the refrigerator, and the bag leaked. It was in there leaking that stinky salmon juice all over, down in the drawers and underneath them, leaking away while we obliviously enjoyed life...then I realized that the smell lingered after he removed that salmon from the 'fridge, grilled it up, bagged and froze the rest...so he cleaned it up. He did. But it was too late, the whole refrigerator smelled, and the food in it smelled. Opened cheese and pepperoni smelled, it was not fun. So I offered Sonja K. twenty bucks to clean it out really well. She's amazing, she spend an hour, wiped down each jar and carton, cleaned up every nook and cranny, put fresh baking soda in there, and now it's fine. It was worth every penny. Anyway, I am not a fish person in the first place, so blaaaah, I didn't like the smell, but I know he didn't do it on purpose. When I see him in the kitchen, I have to just look the other way, ha.

So yeah, I'm 53 today. That seems like a joke, I do not feel 53, except for when I get up after sitting for too long and my knee does that trick thing where it threatens to buckle, and when I don't get enough sleep and I'm nodding off in the afternoon like a two year old. And when I look in the mirror and see the wrinkles, and the gray hair.

But I refuse to get old in spirit. I will not stop delighting in life, and I will not take a single day for granted.

Today, I am going along on an adventure with Emily, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Charlotte Claire, and Camille, as well as I think 14 girls from Germany who stayed in town after the volleyball camp. I am not sure if other girls are going too, but they had planned this and then realized it was my birthday. I said I certainly didn't mind, I could find plenty to do all by my lonesome, and I didn't even word it like that, ha. Shh, a day all to myself doesn't sound horrible! But they felt bad, and invited me, even though they are all young people. It's a waterfalls hike/picnic. I wasn't going to come, but decided to, even if the hike is too much for me, I can bow out in the middle and relax, and go for a swim. Evelyn sent me this text:

She knows how to warm a mama's heart, that's for sure. What more, may I ask, could an old lady ask for?

On our family chat, one daughter asked another what they should get me for my birthday, and I said please, nothing, the deck last year is still a good gift, it hasn't worn off, and I do not need anything else. The pool is clear, I have a big deck, and I am all set.



It's been a challenge to get that pool clear, it was nice before the cabin, then when we got home, blah. It has been worth it's weight in gold this year though. Last night I grilled burgers and hot dogs in my swim dress, I have several suits, and they are the old-lady type swim dress suits, and I like to swim, then grill, then jump back in the pool. Ha, no wonder it's so hard to keep the pool clear. But summertime....bare feet....ahh.

It's not all roses and puppy dogs though, with those dogs comes dog poop, and with all these kids comes clutter and messes. Yesterday we cleared out old coats and shoes for a good couple of hours. The sun was shining and the pool was calling, but it was after two o'clock before we got outside. I also had paperwork to do for homeschooling, and a few other things to take care of. And there is always laundry, always floors to sweep, doggies shed something terrible in the heat.

And the refrigerator mess. Joseph just opened it and said it still smells like fish. I think I'll get like ten boxes of baking soda. blah.

Joseph had already made coffee when I got up this morning, that's a good happy thing. He is engaged, and will be getting married one of these days, hasn't set a date yet, at least that we know of, he's funny about things. The little girls are chomping at the bit to take over his room, it's way bigger than theirs.

But of course mama here isn't in a hurry to see him move out. No way, no how. He IS 27, but he is a good kid, a gentle kid, a nice young man. He works from home, and I am so used to him being here, I can leave the house and he'll keep an eye on the kids, or let the dogs out, or he can help me drop off cars at the mechanic, ect. There are times and seasons in life, and I am honestly sad that the time for him living here at home is coming to an end. I'll still see him, of course, but it'll be different. Home is different when you get your own place. There have been so many seasons in my life with different kids, and if I could go back in time, I would realize how fleeting they were, and cherish the days more. When Aaron and Mirielle and Mali were in nursing school together, and would have a day off, and we would adventure...when Abigail lived here and was in college, and sometimes I would drive her and spend the day in that city. When Emily was in nursing school and I would pick her up and bring her here for the weekend.

Whatever the details, the times and seasons pass, and things change. The kids grow up, no matter how I try to keep them little, ha.

Last night I had a dream that I was offered a small toddler to adopt. She was 18 months old, had dark hair and eyes, and she clung to me, loved me, right away. I was so absolutely thrilled, I loved her completely, and one of the older kids made a huge cake that said, "Congratulations on the 17th child!" I was over the moon, in that dream.

There are so many babies in this world, so many kids who are not wanted, why can't someone give one to me? I know, I have enough, but if there was one little baby, one small toddler, who needed love and care....I would take them.

Having grandchildren has been amazing, I am thankful for them. Here is a nice picture of the youngest, little Wulf...

Isn't he beautiful?

And time is passing and the girls are getting ready and I don't want to make them late, so off I go...

7 comments:

Susan said...

🎶🎶🎶🎶Happy Birthday sweet Della, Happy Birthday to youuuu!🎵

Marilyn said...

Happy Birthday Della!! 🎂🎂 I hope you have a super day with the girls! A good thing to wash the smell out of the fridge is to put some vanilla in the water. My mum told me that years ago. Seems to work! Baby Wulf is absolutely adorable...........ENJOY!!

Marilyn from Canada

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday to you! You look and seem much younger than your age:)

An American Housewife said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!!! :) I raise my cup of coffee to you with a smile. Enjoy.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you enjoyed your hike. I love your blog and am not sure I've ever commented before. Put a cup or a bowl or some sort of open container of regular black charcoal in your fridge. Between that and the baking soda, you should be good to go within a few days. I used to clean rental properties. Charcoal and baking soda were amazing.

Joni said...

Happy Birthday! We’re so close to the same age - I’ 53 next month. And we do often think the same things! We were caring for a squeezable 9 month old for 10 days, and we all just delighted in having him! We had visitors during that time who have 4 little boys - I was saying, ‘Just think if someone came to the door and handed me a baby, saying this one is yours to love and raise ... ‘ The young visiting mama said, There are so many people who don’t want their babies- I’m sure you could get one if you really want one!’ But ... it’s not so easy.

Anyway- I love to follow your blog. I feel like I know you, in a way. Yours is the only blog I follow, of someone I don’t know. Because I love your openness in your writing. I love how much you love your family. I love your writing style. And I relate with so many things you say! (Tho my family is half your family size - I got married old, so got s late start. We took all kids just as they were given (7 in 7 years!) and just love them all (even now as they are almost all teenagers!)

tiphaine said...

aww happy birthday to you!!
it is also my baby's birthday, she is 2 today.
You are such an inspiration, thank you for sharing your blog, day in and day out.
May God grant you many years.