summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

please, summer, please slow down...

The days are your life. The driving and the waiting and the cleaning up, this is life. It's not something that's going to happen Some Day, it's now. You can choose to gripe your life away, piddle away the time wishing you were doing something different, but this is life.

I, for one, have been tempted to fall victim to the Grass Is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Fence syndrome. If I'm preparing food, I wish I was outside with the guests, if I'm in the store, I wish I was home on the deck. If I'm home for more than a day, I wish I was out doing something fun. If I'm cleaning the house, I wish it was already clean and I was in bed with a book.

Anyway. There is something to be said for being content where you are, and with what you are occupied with.

Yesterday, six of my daughters accompanied me out and about. We needed to renew Evelyn's passport, but someone forgot their checkbook. Thankfully I realized it before we all trooped into the county courthouse building, but I had already wasted fifty cents in the parking meter, blah.

We went to Kohl's, where I had some good coupons. The girls found jeans, I found a Christmas gift for baby Grant, my son Sam's little guy, a few things for little Anya who is starting kindergarten this year, and a cute outfit for baby Wulf.

Then, take-out Chinese food and home to watch the Simpsons. What!? It was a rainy day! And apparently I "owed" a few of the kids Chinese food...I promised Sonja K. for her birthday, and that was on May 3rd, and I promised Suze after her SAT test, and that was a few months back too.

The weather cleared up, we got to swim...then Emily came over, and Margaret and Adrian and baby Wulf, and Ashley with baby Elise and little Anya. Lydia came over, and we had a nice cook-out, a fire on the deck, and marshmallows, and I didn't have one. :(

Here's something nice though: Lydia spent the night, for the first time, and she did fantastic! She went to bed so nicely at 9:30-ish, and slept until after nine this morning! She's so sweet and chatty and just happy, it's nice to have a little one in the house. She slept in a pack and play in Suzanne's room.

This morning, Jonathan went to Grandma's to paint her back deck, and I am taking Evelyn to get her passport renewed, and then there is a painting party at Ben's new house.

We don't get bored, that's for sure.

As for me, today I'm going to use each opportunity to be thankful, and to hear what God has to say to me.

And, I'll try to remember to take some pictures, too.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della........did you get some family photos at the cabin? I always forget to take photos till everyone is at the door ready to leave, so they have to come back in..........happens every time......or as they are driving down the road I remember that I forgot photos.....again 😩 You are right, time slips away very quickly and we should live each day and feel blessed. You always see the to see the glass half full I think. That’s was lovely that Lydia stayed the night.........grandchildren are just the best, aren’t they? Mine are all grown up now..........Anyway have a super day. We are having a little rain and cooler after a few sweltering days. A nice relief.

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, we didn't take a family picture this year. Aaron didn't come, he just moved to Oregon, and started a new job. Abigail didn't come, she is taking her vacation to go to Norway. Joseph didn't come, his fiance couldn't get time off, and he said he would have been working the whole time anyway...so thirteen of them were there, with a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, and a fiance, and five grandchildren...:)

Tereza said...

So true...i catch myself sighing so often...its like my soul is looking for reasons why I should be sad...its so weird...I suppose its the last of whats left of the unthankfulness that used to permeate my days...but now its different cause I'm not unthankful anymore...yet as a habit my subconscious still looks for what could be "wrong". Other times its something as simple as I need to drink more or get some sleep or go for a walk and then I'm totally happy again. All I know is that I too want to use my time and not waste it on wishing for something different. Its so hopeful really!!