summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

cookies cookies everywhere...

I don't eat them, but I do like to bake them!
There's nothing like a Christmas-y chocolate chip cookie! I took some pointers from Mariel, and softened up the butter first, added the right amount of salt, put double the amount of brown sugar than white sugar, and added a wee bit more flour. They look pretty yummy!
When I was growing up, we had butter cut outs, by the stack! My mother made them just once a season, but I think she quadrupled the recipe. When they cooled and we stacked them up, the table was covered with stacks. We frosted them for what seemed like hours. She didn't make ten different kinds of cookies, just these. So these are Christmas, to me. I don't eat these anymore either, but I have to make them for Christmas! The batch I made the other day, I actually threw away a few that didn't get eaten, can you believe that? But with only four kids left in the house...and Jon mostly eats healthy, but now he's in Oregon anyway. So why did I make these?
I plan to send some to someone for their birthday!
Phew, that took all day, making and frosting! Now, I can't even relax in my comfy chair because I have to pick up Camille from school and bring her to her podiatrist appointment...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...





Do you have a recipe for the green glaze/frosting on your Christmas tree cookies? I really like the look.

Laurie in California

16 blessings'mom said...

I don't have a recipe. I just use confectioner's sugar and milk, stir it until smooth, you want it nice and thick, so add milk just a splash at a time. You can sneak in a drop or two of vanilla if you like. It's just a simple glaze, dries shiny and it does dry, so that's nice!

An American Housewife said...

I have those exact same two cookie cutters! My mother gave me her cookie cutters years and years ago because she was never a cookie maker anyway. Vintage early 1970's or late 60's. When she did attempt sugar cookies it was these trees, the stars, the matching Santa and reindeer that came with the silver tree set. She rarely frosted hers. She hated to do it. (Again... not a cookie maker) LOL.

Michelle said...

Oh yum, Those cookies look so good! I don’t know how you can bake them and not eat some!

Arlene G said...

Thanks for stopping by Nanaland and leaving a sweet comment. I enjoyed reading some of your blogs this morning. You are one busy mama.

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, I just can't. I can't explain it, but I don't have the ability to limit myself, so I just have NONE.
Arlene, hello, I'm glad you visited!!!!
I love love love the old metal cookie cutters! The trees especially remind me of childhood!