summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, December 12, 2020

warning: graphic, gruesome, and totally redneck...

This pic could be a caption contest photo, right? "Oh deer, I've lost my head!" This is the place Paul brought his deer to be processed, yay, he shot one today! He usually does it himself, in fact one fine year, oh yes he did slaughter that on one dining table while I...yes, this is a true story, frosted cookies on the other. It costs around a hundred bucks to have it all cut and packaged, but I think it's totally worth it, don't you? Here's Paul getting his deer out of the back of the truck, don't look in the background. (Isn't Paul so cute still?)
This fine morning, Sonja and I headed out for a Target pickup, then went really quickly into the fabric store for a few things, then, ahh home. I went with Paul to drop off the deer, then brought the girls to a small gathering. I'm leaving in a bit to visit my sister, what a busy day. I've wrapped presents in between, almost almost almost done. phew. And now, to make dinner for only Paul and I! Well, just me, technically...he's having, brace yourself: fresh deer liver. not me...nope.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Paul can keep the deer liver and everything deer (on the other hand, my menfolk would love it)-grin. I hope you have a beautiful day friend. smiles

Chrissy said...

What do they do with the heads? I don't understand big game hunting but if he's hunting to eat it then it entirely makes some sense. And I guess you know that the deer had a lovely life scampering about until it had a date with Paul!

Anonymous said...

Living on the California coast, the hunting, slaughtering, and eating of venison is totally foreign to me. And I absolutely know that I couldn't frost cookies in the same room that slaughtering is taking place! Guess I am just a wimp.

Laurie in California

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, I agree. I will eat some of the roasts he makes, there's one with orange zest in the crock pot that's good. But the venison meatloaf, even with bacon, um, nah. When we were first married and totally broke, we ate venison all that first winter, because free meat. Chrissy, some of the hunters mount the heads and put them in their man caves or garages, or if they have really nice wives, in their houses, I guess. We have entirely too many deer here, they are a nuisance in gardens, but mostly they are dangerous for drivers, running out in front and causing accidents. They NEED to be hunted, or they will starve, the herds need culling. Paul is a very humane hunter, and only kills what he will eat. He won't shoot a small one, either, or a doe with a fawn. It's not like he goes out and shoots things like lions and tigers, just because.
Laurie, believe me, I couldn't bear it either. I'm so glad he's having someone do all the cutting and wrapping this year!

Chrissy said...

That's exactly how I imagine it should be - I live on the edge of the New Forest and they don't allow hunting there. They used have fox hunts and stag hunts on horse back with packs of dogs for fun - totally inhumane. I think if you are planning to eat your catch then there is no moral issue. It's not super different to keeping an allotment and growing your food - because free food! I'm actually in the process of considering returning to a veggie diet because I keep thinking about the fact I know I cant slaughter an animal. I cried when one of our chickens died!

16 blessings'mom said...

Chrissy, I know, I couldn't keep chickens except for the eggs, no way could I raise them to eat. I would fall in love with them all. Ben and Ashley went through the same thing, they would all be so sad if one of the chickens died. We've talked about getting a pig, but you KNOW I would be naming and befriending that pig, and it would never be turned to bacon. I do love meat, so I try not to think about what it actually is...because I love animals too.