summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

it's not gradual, it's like BOOM.

How on earth did we grow old, grandparents, for goodness sake! We were so young, not so very long ago, that someone read us a verse, "Let no one despise your youth, but be an example for those who believe..."(1 Tim 4:12...), then yesterday I heard that verse being read to the youth group, and I thought, my goodness, time doesn't just creep along, it takes flying leaps. Paul had his surgery on Christmas Eve, his knee is still so swollen, he limps around, and it tugs my heart, because...he's getting old. I cannot bear it. He's the strong, healthy one. Okay, he's only 58, but still. He doesn't touch up his grays, either, ha.
We have had some beautiful winter weather here. The kids all went snow tubing and snow boarding yesterday.
We stopped at Starbucks the other day, and Jonny couldn't resist using the table that is "not in use". I want to mention that I am not getting a penny for saying so, but Starbucks is good. I asked what hot coffee was fresh at the moment, and the kid made a fresh pot of Pike Roast, and with heavy cream, mmmm. Sonja had a hot chai with a shot of espresso, said it was the yummiest ever, to paraphrase. I made sure to give them a good tip. Do you tip at your coffee place? I hope so. I tip at the gas station in town, too, after all, you don't have to get out in the heat or the freezing wind, you just sit there and they pump the gas for you. If every single person gave a buck, think of the effect it would have on those who earn low wages, and when an employee is tipped, I think they work extra hard. Our tree is having it's last day, gracing the living room. Tomorrow it will become a bird haven, a squirrel hideout. The needles are pinging down, and it's getting dusty. I hate to see it go. There is a real thing, a post holiday depression syndrome, but this year, people are getting it badly. We've pumped up the holiday season so much, started in earnest earlier, spend more, tried so hard to make it all so wonderful, then bam, it's done. Every year I think of Dr. Suess' Grinch, "on the walls he left nothing but hooks, and some wire...(then he went up the chimney himself, the old liar)"...it's so desolate when we take down the Christmas. This year, I tried to be minimal, but no, I couldn't do that, no sir. This house is Christmas Central. I am planning to leave some of the white lights up, and some of the little trees, because they're winter-y, right? The year is ending, and we are starting a new year by heading to Florida. I know, we're crazy. But we still have a grandma to visit, and we are going to do that. We're only going for a few days, then coming home for a quarantine. I hope and pray we'll all be okay! I hope grandma will be too. It's so crazy that a simple 3 hour direct flight to Florida is such an ordeal. We've thought on it and thunk about it, and decided to go ahead and go. SOMEONE has to keep the travel industry afloat, right? Anyway. I have to get moving and try on some shorts, which UGH, if you live in the land of winter like I do, with white pasty legs, chunky too, well, you would understand why this is not something I look forward to. We are flying cheap-0 air, actually Frontier, where you can bring a purse or backpack, or pay one million dollars to check a carry-on, so we are only checking one to share between the five of us. The tickets were only a hundred dollars, and we're renting a car in Orlando and driving to Grandma's, so it isn't TOO risky, I hope. We aren't going to Magic Kingdom of Busch Gardens, just a few days in Orlando after visiting Grandma, so we can sun and swim. Off I go to see how fantastic I don't look in my summer clothes...it seems like forever and a day since I've worn summer clothes....

7 comments:

Joybells said...

Oh yes, I'm feeling the post-holiday blues too, and I'm resisting taking down the decorations. Still listening to Christmas carols, too. But...our first seed catalog arrived yesterday! And it occurred to me that I can grow microgreens right on my windowsill. Yes, we'll take a trip to the snow, and we'll also plan for that spring garden and say NO WAY to the winter dumps! I love that you are going to Florida and I hope you have a fabulous trip and take lots of sunny pictures for the rest of us to enjoy. :)

Joy from Salem

Anonymous said...

You're so funny- "a million dollars to check a bag". I confess I never think to tip anyone, anywhere, except at restaurants (which I haven't been in one for months). My daughter even works at a coffee shop. I should ask her what the tipping culture is like there. Have fun in FL☀️
Valerie

Izabela said...

I have been a lurker reader for years and years! You have such a wonderful family. We live in Ontario Canada and we have been put into yet another lockdown. Is so sad and depressing. If I could I too would fly to Florida for some warmth and vitamin D but we have jobs that we have to return to so we can't do the 2 week Quartine after. You have been such a source of joy and encouragement to me over the years!

16 blessings'mom said...

Izabela, thank you! The lockdowns are ROUGH. Two of my sister's girls live in Ontario, near Ottawa, and she cannot see them, which means she can't see their children...five grandchildren she hasn't seen in about a year, one was born in the spring and she hasn't held him yet. Thank heavens we have FaceTime, online, ect., to keep in touch these days. Two of my son-in-laws are brothers, Adrian and Darius, and they are from Winnipeg, their mom still lives there. They can't go home to visit, and their grandpa isn't doing well. It's all very difficult. I hope it ends soon.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della........Happy New Year to you and your family 🥳🥳 We just watched Momma Mia for the hundredth time!! We love the music. Staying up till midnight will be a challenge I think for us oldies. I’m tired already and it’s only 11 here. Yes, we are on lockdown.....can go out for necessities. I went to the drug store today.....first time out since the 8th. It was so great!! Let’s hope 2021 is a better year. Have a great time with grandma in Florida. Lucky you! Enjoy..........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Martha said...

I'm right there with you on the "getting old" old thing. We were always the youngest of everything and now I'm "the older lady." My oldest son will be 40 next September and I'm absolutely certain I turned 40 just a few minutes ago.

And I'm hating "the sickness" more and more every day. Where I didn't know anyone ill all year long, now I do. When will it end?

Suz said...

We're all getting old, but what a blessing. Right? Not everyone gets to do that. I hope Pauls knee is better and that you have a fantastic Florida visit.
I can't remember the last time I had gas pumped for me...they don't do that in Florida or GA. But I tip heavily for anyone that does anything for me.