summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 1, 2022

life is beach-y! WAIT, change of title! ER visit!

 

Beach life agrees with me...it was perfect weather today.  Not too hot, just pleasant and sunny.
Miss Camille, such a lady.  She can't go in swimming yet, but she's a good sport.
The water was calm, here at this Lake Ontario beach, but chilly!  

We sat in the sun and played in the sand, then went home and hopped into our pool, before leaving again.  Sonja K. had to drive into the city for a quick appointment, so Charlotte Claire, Camille, and I went with her.  We then went to Wegmans, which is a lovely grocery store.  We got seltzer, sausages, burger, chicken, cookies, bananas, bread, and some sugar free frozen fudge bars.  We also took a quick run into Aldi, to get some brats for a big cookout on Sunday. 

This is where I was in my post when I got the phone call, the dreaded phone call.  The kids had gone bowling, and Miss Camille's OTHER knee dislocated.  It totally popped out, was at odd angles, and she was screaming.  I could hear her in the background.  So I did what I do best, I ran down the hall and got Paul!  They were calling 911, so we left to meet the ambulance at the ER.  Paul dropped me off, went to park, and I was told I was at the wrong entrance, but couldn't walk through the hospital, go down the hill, in the dark, I was told.  Okay, he didn't say "in the dark", that was me.  

Sonja rode in the ambulance with Miss Cam, holding the knee in place.  When I got up to the floor, and my baby was there on the gurney in the hall with the EMTs, sobbing, with Sonja holding the knee, oh dear.  It looked pretty awful.  I know, it's not the end of the world, and it wasn't life threatening, but it was still AWFUL.

Because of Covid, only two parents could accompany each child, which is actually better than it was previously.  Because Sonja was already there, only one could come, but you know that nice charge nurse on that pediatric floor was so nice, she let Paul come up and wait in the waiting room up there, and switch off with me....just keep it to a minimum, because we're NOT supposed to allow it.  

Paul was in the room when they popped that knee back in the socket.  I just couldn't do it.  I was feeling tingly, and who needs a fainting mama?

Once the knee was in place, and she had some pain meds in her, she calmed down a bit, and was actually quite hilarious.  She still had the bowling shoes on...


Miss Sonja cuddled up with her...Miss Sonja was an absolute boss, a hero.  She held that leg in place and stayed strong, and was gentle and good to Camille, she has found her calling in healthcare, for sure.  Maybe she'll go into Ortho, she wasn't grossed out by it.  

Now you have to understand, the leg that had surgery is very weak, and still in a leg brace.  She had gone to two physical therapy sessions, and was not steady enough to remove that brace.  Now she has an immobilizer on one leg, and the brace on the other.  Paul had to carry her up the stairs into the house last night, with Sonja holding the leg...the new bad leg, the old good leg.

So trials come to all of us, most when we least expect it.  My hair was clean, and I had decent enough clothes on, although we had a laughing fit, after Cam was all settled and the knee in place, when Sonja looked at a memory from one year ago and I had the very same shirt on.  But trials come.  Camille said I'm glad this didn't happen a few weeks ago.  She also pointed out that if that knee was going to blow, it was going to happen at some point, and it was good it happened when and where it did, because the ambulance got there relatively quickly, and the hospital accepted her...some of them were absolutely closed, going to the emergency room is not good, these days.  But since she is a child, and could go to the pediatric unit, she got in in pretty good time.  It was a looooooong wait with the knee like that, but relatively short altogether.  We were home within four hours of arrival.

I would never disclose another person's medical info, and I don't even know the girl's name, but the girl we shared a room with was in a very rough place.  She had serious mental health issues and had to have a nurse/nursing assistant in the room at all times, suicide watch.  Oh my heart, such sufferings in this world.  I do think we gave her a few good laughs, given that Camille still had those bowling shoes on.  

So the weather is warm and sunny, and I'm glad we got a beach trip in yesterday, because Miss Cam isn't going anywhere fun today, she won't be moving very much....


8 comments:

Terri D said...

I am so sorry for Cam's pain and knee problems. Mine never 'went out' but I got cortisone shots for ten years before I finally got my replacements. Knee pain sucks. Y'all look great at the beach and it's nice you had that day before the knee went out. The bowling shoes really are a giggle! Cam will be in my prayers!

Michelle in FL said...

Oh wow, what an ordeal! Poor Camille. Hope she’s feeling better. Has anyone considered that she may have a connective tissue disorder causing her loose joints? Just a thought. Hope you have a great 4th of July weekend!

Maureen said...

Saying lots of prayers for your daughter! That sounds really rough! Prayers for healing and for a good attitude! And also that she have minimal pain.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heart, your dear girl! I'm sad to hear that happened to her, and with the other leg down already 😒
You're so good at telling the story, though, and keeping your head up. I'll be praying for her and you. Hugs
Valerie

Debby said...

Oh, that must have been so painful for your daughter. I hope she is out of pain.

Unknown said...

Oh Della! Poor little Cam!! What a thing to happen! She will have to be careful now with that one. Oh dear πŸ˜” It was nice you all got to go to the beach though. It looked like a beautiful day 🌞🌞

More on Africa. They girls went on a sunset Safari last night and saw a mother leopard and 2 little 2 week old babies. So beautiful. They are off on a sunrise Safari tomorrow…..for several hours……then the sunset Safari is going to be on a camel πŸͺ!!! That should be fun. They are glamping now. Out on the Masa Mara. Their ‘tent’ is very luxurious with a toilet, shower etc. my daughter said it’s not at all like camping!! I wonder if they will hear lions roar in the night 😳😳 I’ll keep you posted.

Have a nice evening.

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Anonymous said...

Has Camille been checked for a connective tissue disorder like Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

16 blessings'mom said...

Anon: no, she has not, but she also doesn't display any of the other symptoms. Bad knees do run in our family, as I have dislocated mine, and have severe arthritis in the joints. She does not have digestive issues, nor does she bruise easily. When she was in gymnastics, she didn't have the loose stretchiness, either, she had to really work to get looser.
Marilyn, it's tough to see Cam go through so much. Africa: wow! Luxury camping with the lions roaring, sweet!
Debby, thank you.
Valerie, thank you!
Maureen, thank you. She is doing better now, but is just so limited and it's hot here...
Michelle, I did look into that, and it doen't seem she has any other symptoms. Bad knees in teenage girls seem to run in families.
Terri, the bowling shoes! So sad but so funny. I'm glad you were brave and got replacements, I wish I could just wiggle my nose and have new ones, nice long-lasting titanium ones....