summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 16, 2023

just going!

 I drove Miss Sonja to school, then home...then to the pool, which was wonderful.  We play catch with a beachball to warm up, which, according to the lifeguard, is hilarious watch.  It's nice to be a bit silly and laugh.  Today, I got to (had to) throw the ball into the bin when we were done, as the other lady on that side of the pool missed...and I made it, so we yelled and cheered as if it were a game-winning basket, just plain fun.  I am not a competitive person AT ALL, and would rather stand in a corner and watch than participate in such things, but it's all in fun, and it IS fun.

Anyway.  After the pool, home again home again jiggety-jig.  Then, off to the school to drop off Miss Charlotte Claire for her chemistry regents.. Kathryn picked us up (Miss Camille and I), and off we went to Target...on a dark rainy day.  We got a coffee, then we wandered around...I bought some almonds, a three pack of gum, barbecue sauce, a cute kid's straw cup, and a doll stroller for Ruth's birthday.  

Camille thought Jamison would look nice in this hat...
Rhys thought so!
Achilles thought it was funny!

We picked Char up from school, then home... Kathryn and the kids came in for a bit.  We drank our coffee, made some snacks for the kids, and relaxed.  Then I had to go pick Sonja up from work...then, home...ahh, home...

The girls left to go to a barbecue, I knew Paul and I would be home alone tonight, so I bought two T-bone steaks.  They were on sale, for Father's Day, and we rarely go out to dinner.  While they were coming to room temperature on the counter with rosemary lemon salt, sage, and pepper, I made a batch of miniature cupcakes, and a small cake, for the celebration on Sunday (we're going to frost them tomorrow).  Then into the frying pan in some olive oil for the steaks, into the microwave five small potatoes, then some frozen green beans.  I wrapped the little potatoes in foil when they were done, and when the steaks were sizzled and flipped, then dotted with butter, and more rosemary, the green beans were tossed into that hot frying pan just for a little whirl with a bit of butter.  Such a delicious dinner.  

The kindergarten graduation was adorable, and sad.  You sit there and think how cute they all are, knowing how quickly they're going to grow up.  Emily was a kindergarten graduate 32 years ago, then when she was 18 and a high school graduate, 20 years ago today, baby Robert was born.  born sleeping.   Margaret was our kindergarten graduate that year, that very night Robert made his entrance into this world.  My sister Cheryl went to graduation with Margaret for us, then she so nicely hosted the big graduation party for Emily and her daughter Becky....because I really couldn't. 
Anya (our oldest grandchild, she's 9), and Elise, 5, the graduate.
Benjamin (he's our oldest son, third "child"), Anya, Elise, me, Ashley holding little Declan
Isn't he adorable?
Anya thinks so!

The sweet girls...

Anyway, so many things happen in life, things that are almost unbearably hard, things that are wonderful, and things that are ridiculous...when they're happening they're so important, then days go by, and these things are memories.  You think, hmm, even if I live thirty more years, most of my life is behind me...Doesn't that make you want to have God's good pleasure over your life?  It makes me want to make sure I'm not being selfish with my time and energy.  It makes me want to treasure the moments, and be thankful.  I try to pinch myself sometimes, and say, This.  This is life.  Tennyson running down the sidewalk, so happy to see me...this is it.  

Grandma isn't doing so well.  She's confused, and she wants to go home.  She forgets where she is sometimes, and sometimes she insists things happened to her that we know didn't happen.  (Before you ask how we know, this is the latest:  she went down to the desk to change a hundred dollar bill into smaller bills, and a lady grabbed it and ran away to where her boyfriend was working on the stairs.   Yesterday:  a lady grabbed her wallet and ran away to where her boyfriend was working on the elevator.)  I tell her her medication is making her confused, and that this didn't happen, but she insists.  It's sad, and it's hard.  

Ah well....a nice quiet evening, so nice.  We might do some strawberry picking tomorrow...:)


2 comments:

Terri D said...

I really loved this post. So full of fun and joy and memories made, and then also some concern and sadness. It always seems like we have just forever ahead of us but it goes so darn fast. You are right. Enjoy each moment!! xo

Anonymous said...

Such a sad thing about Baby Robert. Love that your sister helped you when you couldn't do life at the time. Hugs
Valerie