summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, June 4, 2023

wine country and parades....

Paul is a good grandpa, with Rhys
Miss Margaret (in the hat), Tenny in the stroller, Sonja with Rhys, Kathryn with Jamison in the stroller, Ben, Elise, Lydia (with Achilles behind them), Anya holding Declan, and Wulf...
Paul with Tennyson
Ice cream afterwards!  Tennyson, Char with Rhys, Elise, Lydia, Anya, Sonja, Camille, Kathryn
Ben with his Declan, and Aunt Sonja with Rhys...


There we all are, (don't know the girls in the background)...

The parade was so much fun, enjoying the kids' excitement at all the firetrucks and candy and marching bands.  I didn't stop smiling for at least an hour.  

This fine morning, after watering the garden in bare feet, watering the flowers, taking care of the pool, washing some dishes, vacuuming, wiping counters, doing a load of laundry....it was time for some fun: a few wineries!!!!

Emily, friend Janette, me, Evelyn, and Sonja
Miss Sonja K.
Emily, Janette, Evelyn, Sonja
me
Keuka Lake from Keuka Springs winery


We drove through Amish farmland, and rolling hills, and soaked in the beauty.  We brought lots of good snacks, and stopped at a place which advertised fresh donuts and the best smoked barbecue.  Well, they don't make donuts anymore, but they do sell fresh slices of homemade pie.  Partly because I didn't want to leave without buying something, and mostly because I LOVE coconut cream pie, I decided to buy a slice to go.  Talk about your big mistakes!  We know how it went...Emily tried one taste, declared it was too sweet, no one else wanted any, so while we sat at the table in the breezy sun with the gorgeous lake view, I ate that slice of pie.  I wish I could say it wasn't that good, wasn't worth it, but no.  It had to be absolutely everything you would dream a slice of coconut cream pie could be.   Homemade flaky crust, light creamy cream, cold rich coconut filling, oh dear.  It's a darned good thing they sold it be the slice and not the whole pie.  :)

Besides, I wasn't drinking any wine.  

Dinner time when we got home.  Hot dogs, burgers, coneys, fries in the air fryer, sliced red peppers, carrots, celery, and some strawberries.  (I skipped the fries)

Emily came over later, we had popcorn, and watched a few episodes of the new Duggar family documentary. (stovetop popcorn popped in coconut oil and drizzled with butter, salted...mmm).

And now it's Sunday morning, and off I go...


 

5 comments:

Kanadiangirl said...

How was the documentary?

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh! My favorite pie... coconut cream and/or coconut custard. Now I want some. I love how your family loves to gather and how you have so much fun!! Does my heart good!! I miss big family gatherings. Hugs!

16 blessings'mom said...

The documentary: disturbing. We've only watched the first two episodes so far, but what really shocks me is that the entire family already knew what Josh did to those girls, it was swept under the rug. The religious teachings of Goddard are also disturbing: the woman is under the authority of the FATHER until marriage, when daddy gives her to her husband, then he's the boss. It's like they take the good and precious teachings of the Bible, which should always be carried out in love and reverence of God, and use them to have power and obedience. ugh.
Terri, that pie was really really good. :). hugs:)

16 blessings'mom said...

Anne, we should definitely try!!!!

Betty said...

Della it was so nice meeting you in Wal-Mart today. I first passed by and thought she looks like someone I know got to the next aisle and figured it out. Always so nice meeting a blogger.